Why did you guys let MacArthur walk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Lol, it's 17 games into the season.

Shh. Let the Sens fans have their fantasies.

The Leafs found quite the gem in MacArthur back in 2009. A player who had been cast off from the Sabres, who signed for cheap, and then proceeded to put up some great numbers beside Grabovski and Kulemin. But all the while, he is still the same type of player. A player who is incredibly streaky, who puts up points in bunches, and then looks like he's floating for weeks on end. That doesn't make him a bad player. He's always been a lower end Top 6 winger/high end tweener, despite the fact opposing fans long tried to portray him as nothing but a streaky third liner. The Leafs signed just a player, though, in Raymond for a third of the cost, who puts up near identical production for a third of the cost. I wanted MacArthur back, but not at the cap hit he signed for. Not that he wasn't worth it, just didn't fit in the team as currently constructed. Don't regret letting him go one bit, unfortunate though that he headed off to such a sad franchise in Ottawa. I even wish him well, the guy was always top notch here in Toronto.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Sens fan coming in peace!

Just thought I would ask why MacArthur got away so cheap. Make no mistake you guys are playing great and with Leiweke things are only going to get better! But I just don't get how MacArthur walked with no offer. I don't get it. It wasn't long ago he had over 60 points in a season! Proving he is a viable top 6 forward!

This season Clarke has been amazing! He is hustling every game, making great slick passes, skating is outstanding, he is always infront of the net and in the right area to score, killing penalties, contributing on the powerplay etc.

Most importantly he is having a phenominal season and has been dazzling with Turris and Ryan! They have been arguably our top line this year! and are continuing to be our most fatal force! MacArthur is pace for a career year and I can't believe the Leafs would let him go to a Rival and walk like that. I feel like Ottawa picked up a gift in free agency>

His next contract won't be for 3.25 million

He is extremely soft.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Yes, some would say its a shell game with contracts in a lowered cap season. Hopefully the real answer to this question will be obvious by April, May.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Too much money for a 3rd line player. He is a good 2nd line fill in guy but not for that price.

Had some grit - sure - but for the most you didn't notice him if he wasn't scoring

K19*

I'd much rather have him on a 2-3 year deal than Clarkson's albatross contract.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
still his play is staggering

Get used to him disappearing soon. Kulemin and Grabovski were "staggering" a couple of years ago with Mac and now look what happened to all 3 players. 2 were shipped out and Kule can't score.

Lots of things can change. Culture of a team, coaching staff, mental blocks, salary cap restrictions to affect a team and it's players.

Mac was let go cause we found someone just as good in Mason Raymond for a lot cheaper and we were able to bolster our depth by re-signing Bozak and bringing in Clarkson and re-signing Kessel.

EDDIE20*

Sens fan coming in peace!

Just thought I would ask why MacArthur got away so cheap. Make no mistake you guys are playing great and with Leiweke things are only going to get better! But I just don't get how MacArthur walked with no offer. I don't get it. It wasn't long ago he had over 60 points in a season! Proving he is a viable top 6 forward!

This season Clarke has been amazing! He is hustling every game, making great slick passes, skating is outstanding, he is always infront of the net and in the right area to score, killing penalties, contributing on the powerplay etc.

Most importantly he is having a phenominal season and has been dazzling with Turris and Ryan! They have been arguably our top line this year! and are continuing to be our most fatal force! MacArthur is pace for a career year and I can't believe the Leafs would let him go to a Rival and walk like that. I feel like Ottawa picked up a gift in free agency>

His next contract won't be for 3.25 million

No, his contract won't be for $3.25M. It'll be closer to $5M. Hopefully, Melnyk will open up his wallet and severely overpay this "gem" even more.

The Leafs didn't let him go to a rival. He was a UFA, you know kinda like when Alfie decided to bolt to Detroit (also a rival, in case you didn't know).

DaveT83*

Clarkson > MacArthur

Not really that difficult to sort out. Even if Mac outscores him - scoring was never Toronto's problem. Effective 3rd liners with jam was. Give me David everyday of the week or Clark.

EDDIE20*

Clarkson > MacArthur

Not really that difficult to sort out. Even if Mac outscores him - scoring was never Toronto's problem. Effective 3rd liners with jam was. Give me David everyday of the week or Clark.

I don't remember MacArthur showing too much jam last season. He can score all he wants. If his linemates are ever injured, watch his production take a dive.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
I liked the guy until he mouthed off a couple weeks ago. Sounds like he still holds a grudge towards the leafs and Carlyle. When Clarke slows down, maclean should avoid benching him or reducing his minutes. Wouldn't want to hurt Macs feelings.

EDDIE20*

I liked the guy until he mouthed off a couple weeks ago. Sounds like he still holds a grudge towards the leafs and Carlyle. When Clarke slows down, maclean should avoid benching him or reducing his minutes. Wouldn't want to hurt Macs feelings.

The Walrus had the nerve to bench the great Bobby Karlsson recently for a giveaway which led to a goal. If he can bench the so-called "greatest d-man in the history of the game - past, present and future", well MacArthur better not let his guard down.

K19*

Clarkson > MacArthur

Homer.

Seems like you're shifting the goal posts for what constitutes acceptable for Clarkson's.

3rd liners with jam shouldn't cost 5.25 M.

SteveV*

You may want to check the standings...only 4 points back of the greatest team in the league.

Yes and one player determines your playoff position too, so I guess Bobby Ryan is a bum as well by that pathetic logic. :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad