Why did you guys let MacArthur walk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Sabres and Thrashers fans warned Leafs fans that he was inconsistent. Leafs fans saw that for themselves. It's possible that he's finally figuring out that part of his game but Sens fans shouldn't fool themselves into thinking that the Mac they're seeing is the Mac the Leafs got for 82 games a season for the past several years and that the Leafs were crazy to let him walk. That's not the case at all.

He's a serviceable player but perhaps a bit redundant on the Leafs. If he were a primary offensive contributor to the team then his walking would probably have caused more of an upset. Not surprised that he didn't like playing under Carlyle. When he was first acquired by the Leafs, Wilson asked Ruff about him and Ruff said that you kind of have to handle him with kid gloves otherwise it mentally affects his approach to the game.

Raymond was never intended to be his replacement but it's worked out great for us so far. Raymond is offensively streaky like Mac is but he plays in all situations, he's got explosive speed and his salary simply can't be beat for the skill and experience that he brings along.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
I can't even imagine how demoralizing it would be to cheer for a team where Clarke MacArthur factors as a key component of your offense.

Oh wait, yes I can. It was when we were a lottery team.

Badger Mayhew*

I wish he was still with the Leafs, seeing as he was arguably the best possession forward on the team last year.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Raymond turned out to be a better option than MacArthur but only because of the cheap contract, and I don't think he was really part of the plan judging from the fact that he came into training camp for a tryout. Raymond lacks MacArthur's finish and physical game which, when he decides to bring it, is very good for his size.

People dismiss him too easily. Is Clarkson really an upgrade for 2 mil/year more over 7 years? I don't think so, personally. Is Clarkson tougher than MacArthur? Not really, MacArthur was a good forchecker and boardwork guy, finished his checks, and laid the occasional beatdown when somebody took liberties with him. His few fights were actually quite impressive.

He's gone because Carlyle didn't like him, and I think it's obvious by now that Carlyle was given the final word on his lineup. He liked neither Grabovski nor MacArthur and they're gone at great expense to MLSE. I think he probably pushed to get Bolland and Clarkson.

I think there was an overreaction to the game 7 loss by coaching and management to be "tougher." But we didn't lose that game because we werent tough enough, we lost that game because the team stopped playing before it was over. And it wasn't toughness that got us that far, it was speed and skill (and good goaltending). And the problem with this team not showing up for 60 minutes only seems to have gotten worse, and I don't really see how we're any tougher.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Raymond turned out to be a better option than MacArthur but only because of the cheap contract, and I don't think he was really part of the plan judging from the fact that he came into training camp for a tryout. Raymond lacks MacArthur's finish and physical game which, when he decides to bring it, is very good for his size.

People dismiss him too easily. Is Clarkson really an upgrade for 2 mil/year more over 7 years? I don't think so, personally. Is Clarkson tougher than MacArthur? Not really, MacArthur was a good forchecker and boardwork guy, finished his checks, and laid the occasional beatdown when somebody took liberties with him. His few fights were actually quite impressive.

He's gone because Carlyle didn't like him, and I think it's obvious by now that Carlyle was given the final word on his lineup. He liked neither Grabovski nor MacArthur and they're gone at great expense to MLSE. I think he probably pushed to get Bolland and Clarkson.

I think there was an overreaction to the game 7 loss by coaching and management to be "tougher." But we didn't lose that game because we werent tough enough, we lost that game because the team stopped playing before it was over. And it wasn't toughness that got us that far, it was speed and skill (and good goaltending). And the problem with this team not showing up for 60 minutes only seems to have gotten worse, and I don't really see how we're any tougher.

Spot on.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I'm sure someone from our board started a thread on one of his former teams boards when he scored in 4 consecutive games to start his career as a Leaf. Clarke is what he is, a decent player that plays really good in spurts and then bleh for a long time. Good point producer on terrible teams.

scooter87

Mar 22, 2013

:handclap:

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
He is a great 5-10 ft passer and fits well throughout the lineup. Made too much for the role we needed him to play. I wish him the best because he seemed like a nice guy and versitile player. He can pummel guys to when he gets mad.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Simple. At best he's a 3rd liner on this team and he doesn't fit 3rd line nor would his cost fit 3rd line.

kamosko

Ginger Jesus
Jun 18, 2010
Girouxsalem
Decent player although streaky, you'll find out why as the season progresses.

I wouldn't mind Mac back as the 3LW if we didn't have Raymond and he was cheaper.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Make no mistake you guys are playing great and with Leiweke things are only going to get better!

Sorry, too busy laughing at that to talk about Clarke MacArthur.

I don't see how some big mouth, bean counting suit will have anything to do with the Leafs getting better in the future.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Sens fan coming in peace!

Just thought I would ask why MacArthur got away so cheap. Make no mistake you guys are playing great and with Leiweke things are only going to get better! But I just don't get how MacArthur walked with no offer. I don't get it. It wasn't long ago he had over 60 points in a season! Proving he is a viable top 6 forward!

This season Clarke has been amazing! He is hustling every game, making great slick passes, skating is outstanding, he is always infront of the net and in the right area to score, killing penalties, contributing on the powerplay etc.

Most importantly he is having a phenominal season and has been dazzling with Turris and Ryan! They have been arguably our top line this year! and are continuing to be our most fatal force! MacArthur is pace for a career year and I can't believe the Leafs would let him go to a Rival and walk like that. I feel like Ottawa picked up a gift in free agency>

His next contract won't be for 3.25 million

Clarke MacArthur is nothing special. Simple as that. He's not worth what he's getting paid. Give him a little more time, and you'll see this.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
It's probably been said but he got pissed off when he was sat in the playoffs. Said he knew he was going to leave after that.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

Just thought I would ask why MacArthur got away so cheap. Make no mistake you guys are playing great and with Leiweke things are only going to get better! But I just don't get how MacArthur walked with no offer. I don't get it. It wasn't long ago he had over 60 points in a season! Proving he is a viable top 6 forward!

This season Clarke has been amazing! He is hustling every game, making great slick passes, skating is outstanding, he is always infront of the net and in the right area to score, killing penalties, contributing on the powerplay etc.

Most importantly he is having a phenominal season and has been dazzling with Turris and Ryan! They have been arguably our top line this year! and are continuing to be our most fatal force! MacArthur is pace for a career year and I can't believe the Leafs would let him go to a Rival and walk like that. I feel like Ottawa picked up a gift in free agency>

What a dumb question...

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
This thread aside how does Macarthur get 3.5 for several years and Raymond gets 1 for 1 year? odd

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

One word.

Mediocre.

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
I kinda liked the guy. He wasn't consistent enough to be relied upon to be a top producer, but every once in a while he could come out of nowhere with a jaw-dropping pass, deke, or goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad