Why did you guys let MacArthur walk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfanz*

Never understood the dislike for MacArthur. The guy signed two separate cheap/short term contracts with the Leafs, and was worth every penny. I'd probably would have brought him back as opposed to signing Clarkson to a big money/long term deal.

different players. but MacA was a useful player. Had some good years in TO. He is nothing special though. Streaky. Replaceable. Not sure you can compare him with Clarkson but bang for the buck..you get way more out of MacA I think.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
He cried when Carlyle benched him in the playoffs and according to MacArthur himself that's when he decided he was done in Toronto. Apparently he wasn't having enough "fun" playing under Carlyle.

Good in a support roll with more skilled players, but players like him aren't hard to come by. We upgraded at wing with Clarkson and picked up Raymond on a cheap deal so even if he wanted to come back there wouldn't have been a spot for him.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
MacArthur said he decided he wasn't coming back on his own after Carlyle healthy scratched him in the playoffs. Nonis probably made an offer.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm sure I remember reading an article that mentioned that he was ready and willing to re-sign here at the same cap hit, but the Leafs weren't interested/couldn't fit him in. I'll see if I can find it.

Either way, I did like him when he performed but have to say the members of KGM were really all were miscast and thrown about after they lost chemistry. Once that happened it was over for all but one. The contract Kulemin now keeps, he was not happy with and I doubt we are going to see Kulemin going forth with the likes of recent signings, shame really.

Kulemin is higher on my list of core leafs than Bozak, Clarkson, Bolland, Orr, Mc, Mc, Smithson. If only we could fully activate him, he could be a JVR light.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think Clarkson was in part beaus CMac walked.
More likely it was the other way around.

Clarke was fine, but the Leafs needed to add in areas he couldn't help. With Lupul, Kessel, JVR and Clarkson there wasn't much room for MacArthur.

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Clarke only plays inspired hockey when he has something to prove. His 60 point season was the year after he nearly had no job in the NHL. He fought, he hit, he hustled, his play was inspired. The years that followed, he was hit and miss, his tenacity was non-existent by the time caryle was hired.

Don't miss him. The team finally made the playoffs last season with caryle, yet he threw him under the bus, and questioned his coaching ability!!! Caryle has a cup and has coached the leafs to being one of the best teams in the east!! Yet because he was benched, Mac thinks he didn't know what he was doing.

Obviously he has character issues.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think it's cute that a 3rd liner from the crappy overachieving leafs last year is now a key player for the "contending" Sens.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think Kulemin was the glue guy that made KGM work as a unit and I think the Russian airlines crash where he lost his friends had profound impact on his offensive drive.

Add: to me Kules was of higher order than Grabo when he was here and Mac as well.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Hr was a victim of.

1) A cap era

2) depth on the wing

3) Not meshing with the coach.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Kessel, Lupul and JVR are all clearly better than MacA

We decided to go with Clarkson over MacA because Clarkson plays more of a physical role and gives some more size and grit to our top 6 (something MacA does not have).

MacA is a goal scorer that needs to play on the top 6. If someone can get him the puck, he was good at shooting it in the net. While not horrible defensively, he's not exactly a shut down kind of guy.

On our third line, we have Kulemin, who is better defensively and better in a shutdown role, and can kill penalities. Kulemin isn't as good of a goal scorer... but he can put the puck in the net too... but Kulemin is stronger in most other aspects, espeically when utilized in a shut-down role.

So that only leaves one spot open and it went to Raymond. Personally, I would rather MacA over Raymond if they were getting paid the same money... but Raymond is way cheaper at $1 million and we're up against the cap... so at that point, we were pretty much forced to go with Raymond (who has been playing very well, espeically considering how low his cap hit is).

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
He can't crack the top six.

JvR/Kessel
Lupul/Clarkson

And it's arguable if he could make the 3rd line

Kulemin/Raymond

He would be on the 4th, but we like to keep our goons there

Orr/McLaren

So didn't make it.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He's on the PK? Surprising considering he was always the third wheel when it came to forwards in the defensive end. He's probably just buying into MacLean's system moreso than Carlyle's. That, also being another decision as to why he likely didn't get re-signed. Carlyle didn't seem to be a big fan of him and Macarthur obviously wasn't very fond of him either.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
He didn't fit Carlyle's "system": Play like crap for 50 minutes/game, turn the puck over at every opportunity, make your goalies sweat through 3 pairs of clothing per game and have one of your elite wingers pull a rabbit out of their hat once or twice in a game. Not everyone can adapt to this type of defensive gameplan.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Salary purposes primarily. Raymond has been just as good for us (if not more) and costs only $1m. Mac wasn't built for Carlyle's system and couldn't handle the coach's criticism. Looks like it was a mutual separation.

No hate for the guy though. He was a useful player when he wanted to be. Scored a couple of big goals for us in the playoffs last year.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
MacArthur was a healthy scratch a couple times last year and wasn't very good for us in the past year or so. If you look back on previous threads, posters have long wanted him gone.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
When Mac plays with a chip on his shoulder he usually plays well.

For example, 1st season in Toronto after being walked away from in arbitration.

Another example, Played well in playoffs after being a healthy scratch earlier in the series.

Mac has talent, and his biggest issue is, and will likely continue to be consistency. He has a tendency to really disappear for extended stretches. Hopefully he figures it out.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
He's a great 2nd liner when he has the right guys around him, problem is with the Leafs winger depth he was likely bound for the 3rd line where he just isn't as effective. Nothing against the guy though, glad he is having success elsewhere although I'd prefer if it was in a different city. ;)

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
cause mac contributed in the playoffs

great guy, did his service... just let him walk
i uno Nonis felt wasnt doing well and he prob wanted his own boy (Raymond)
in the line up instead

ill miss him, great guy despite what people say on this forum
oh wells

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If the Sens sign him for higher than that next time around, they will be kicking themselves. I much prefer Raymond at $1 million.

Raymond will not be $1 next year, and may have to be let go next for cap reasons also like Mac this past year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad