Why did Winnipeg build the MTS Centre to only 15,015 seats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Or atleast build it with the option of adding a few thousand more seats in the future.

I am not 100% sure, but don't think they built it that way.

NHLcrazy

Feb 28, 2002
Montreal
It's better to have a 15,015 arena with 15,015 fans than a 18,500 arena with 8,000 fans.

No? Sure it would have been a little smarter if it were made for 18,000+ but it shouldn't be a obstacle to bring a franchise back...

Aug 3, 2010
It would make sense for a 15000-seat arena in a US market, if this was a US market we're talking about where it would be the third or fourth pro franchise team in the entire state/province.

Manitoba/Winnipeg A) is Canadian and b) only has 1 pro franchise team in the area.

Plus, it's CANADA.

DID I MENTION CANADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
It's better to have a 15,015 arena with 15,015 fans than a 18,500 arena with 8,000 fans.

No?

That's what Gary Bettman thinks:

Here's what Bettman told the Reuters news agency on Tuesday: "While we play to 93 to 94 per cent capacity, we'd like to play to 100 per cent capacity," Bettman said. "A 15,000-16,000 seat arena might work better in some markets than a 19,000-seat arena."

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Or atleast build it with the option of adding a few thousand more seats in the future.

I am not 100% sure, but don't think they built it that way.

Funny, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they can add about 1500 seats. I could be wrong though. Either way, its better to have a full arena of 15000 than a half full one of 18500. When you factor in TV revenue, merchandise and ticket cost, I don't see why Winnipeg would be less viable than lets say Phoenix.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
why did the devils new arena cut ~1500 seats compared to their old one?

A smaller arena has lower operating costs and the limited demand can help sustain higher price levels.

The "jets" could earn more revenue, at a lower cost, by selling 15000 tickets in the current MTS center than they can by selling 15000 tickets in an 18000 seat arena.

Arena's should be built to the market, and that's what winnipeg did.

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
It would make sense for a 15000-seat arena in a US market, if this was a US market we're talking about where it would be the third or fourth pro franchise team in the entire state/province.

Manitoba/Winnipeg A) is Canadian and b) only has 1 pro franchise team in the area.

Plus, it's CANADA.

DID I MENTION CANADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

For some reason I thought it was in... Greenland or something, thanks!

Tavaresmagicalplay*

do you know how wealthy Jim Balsillie is?
Do you know how big a d-bag he is?

Hamilton would already have a team if the guy didn't try and bully his way into the league.

Anyways, I'm sure the arena can be renovated, otherwise why would there be so much interest?

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Smaller arena = limited supply = ability to charge more money for tickets. Plus, if the team tanks, you don't lose those 3000-5000 extra ticketholders.

In a market like Winnipeg, this is the best financial model possible.

James Duthie

Kadri is 3 Hunna
May 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
i dont know what year you're in but in the present day it's clear that Jim Balsillie will never be allowed to go anywhere near NHL ownership.

Your right, he'll have a disguise and call him self Senor Balsille a mexican buisnessman who own's the Mexico phone company named "Taco Bell" :nod:

vezna*

i dont know what year you're in but in the present day it's clear that Jim Balsillie will never be allowed to go anywhere near NHL ownership.

money talks. you can't ban the guy from bidding just because you don't like him

Aug 3, 2010
money talks. you can't ban the guy from bidding just because you don't like him

Uh, yes you can. Money talks but any "customer" can be refused service.
At this point he's have to double up on the highest offer to be even considered for ownership.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
It's not about seats. It's about suites.

good point

and also, its about having 15000 fully paid tickets.... we're not talking about tickets being given away here

Its not ideal but its a better situation than alot of the troubled markets for sure.

The building can be expanded but as far as I know, it can only be expanded upwards so you have to wonder about the cost of it.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
why did the devils new arena cut ~1500 seats compared to their old one?

A smaller arena has lower operating costs and the limited demand can help sustain higher price levels.

The "jets" could earn more revenue, at a lower cost, by selling 15000 tickets in the current MTS center than they can by selling 15000 tickets in an 18000 seat arena.

Arena's should be built to the market, and that's what winnipeg did.

You've nailed it.

The only mistake I feel 'Winnipeg' made was building the MTS Centre on a cramped downtown city block. I still maintain they should have built it at the Forks, which is right downtown but has much more available space, parking etc. Also would've allowed them to build a larger arena in terms of square feet; concourses and leg room at MTSC aren't terrible, but they could be better. Alas, I don't think the Forks site fit in with the concept of downtown revitalization.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
do you know how wealthy Jim Balsillie is?

$2.2 billion and dropping as Apple continues to steal RIM's market share.

Balsillie, putting aside the issue that he will not own a team in the foreseeable future, showed no signs of a willingness to upgrade Copps on his own back.

Remember, if Copps operated as an NHL arena today it would be the 5th oldest arena in the league. Within 5-10 years, Copps could very well be the second oldest arena in the league behind only MSG. By the time the NHL is ready to expand, potential suitors in Southern Ontario may very well be better off building an arena in North Toronto (Downsview or North York) or one of the western suburbs (Mississauga) then upgrading Copps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->