Why did the Winnipeg Jets trade Teemu Selanne in 1996?

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Why did the Winnipeg Jets trade Teemu Selanne in 1996? I don't remember what the reasons were at the time of the trade. I always thought he asked to be traded but I've found out that is not the case.

If it was to rebuild, Selanne was still pretty young then, so I wouldn't think you'd trade him for that reason.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think they were trying to sell the team and keep costs low, and at the time Selanne came off a substandard sophomore season and followed that up with a PPG performance during the lockout shortened season, which was a huge drop from his rookie season. He also had some knee injuries. When he went to Anaheim Paul Kariya really brought him back to life, though he was better in Winnipeg in 1996 than the previous couple of years.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
The team didn't have enough money to keep all their players.

The year they were forced to trade Selanne, the Hawks signed Keith Tkachuk (who was their captain at the time) to a massive offer sheet which Winnipeg had to match.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
^What he said.

After matching Tkachuk's offer sheet the Jets didn't have much money left over for Selanne. It was one or the other; they elected to keep Tkachuk.

There were rumours he would be traded going back to the summer of 1995 (incl. a proposed deal to Hartford in exchange for Chris Pronger), but Selanne reportedly did not want to leave. After he was traded he was so upset he (reportedly) ripped the nameplate off his locker at Winnipeg Arena and stormed out. He didn't address the media.

About a year later he gave an interview saying that in retrospect the trade to the Ducks was one of the best things to ever happen to him, and playing with Kariya rejuvenated his career.

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
It was the new Phoenix ownership that made the trade happen, not the Jets brass.

The official sale of the Jets to Phoenix was made in January 1996 from what I can recall.

Selanne was traded in late Feb.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
About a year later he gave an interview saying that in retrospect the trade to the Ducks was one of the best things to ever happen to him, and playing with Kariya rejuvenated his career.

I don't doubt it. It's a well-known fact that Selanne loves Anaheim. Who would have thought the Mighty Ducks of all teams could so soon count on a Hall of Famer and all-time legend as the face of their franchise.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It was the new Phoenix ownership that made the trade happen, not the Jets brass.

The official sale of the Jets to Phoenix was made in January 1996 from what I can recall.

Selanne was traded in late Feb.

Which is ironic because if the Coyotes had Selanne, it probably would have made that market a more viable one today.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
I think they were trying to sell the team and keep costs low, and at the time Selanne came off a substandard sophomore season and followed that up with a PPG performance during the lockout shortened season, which was a huge drop from his rookie season. He also had some knee injuries. When he went to Anaheim Paul Kariya really brought him back to life, though he was better in Winnipeg in 1996 than the previous couple of years.

His ppg dropped from 1.41 in Winnipeg to 1.29 in Anaheim after being traded.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Why did the Winnipeg Jets trade Teemu Selanne in 1996? I don't remember what the reasons were at the time of the trade. I always thought he asked to be traded but I've found out that is not the case.

If it was to rebuild, Selanne was still pretty young then, so I wouldn't think you'd trade him for that reason.

It was about money if i remember correctly and i thought Selanne asked to be traded to Anaheim

Al Bundy*

From an on-ice perspective how would Selanne have potentially farede in Phoenix? He and Tkachuk and either Roenick/Zhamnov could have done some damage.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
I think there was talk that they had to trade one of the Big 3 because of financial realities. When the trade occurred, Selanne was coming off of two 20 goal seasons and had only scored 24 at the time of the trade. He was having a decent year, even though it was somewhat disappointing. Who knew we were about to enter the dead puck era? Zhamnov had finished second in scoring the year before and Tkachuk was seen as the most complete player of the 3. Plus, Selanne had had the most serious injury of the 3 back in 94 when he sliced his Achilles tendon. I can't recall exactly what was said but I think some of the hockey experts thought Selanne had lost a step and that his rookie season was perhaps the best year he would ever have. The loss of Housley was a big factor in Selanne scoring less. I do know that the trade turned Winnipeg upside down. Many were in disbelief. I can understand Paddock's thinking about this trade at the time. Zhamnov easily fooled many because he always left you wanting more and thinking that he could accomplish so much more.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In retrospect is just looks bad to this day. Not Gretzky to the Kings bad, but Tkachuk over Selanne? Hmmm.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
I think there was talk that they had to trade one of the Big 3 because of financial realities. When the trade occurred, Selanne was coming off of two 20 goal seasons and had only scored 24 at the time of the trade. He was having a decent year, even though it was somewhat disappointing. Who knew we were about to enter the dead puck era? Zhamnov had finished second in scoring the year before and Tkachuk was seen as the most complete player of the 3. Plus, Selanne had had the most serious injury of the 3 back in 94 when he sliced his Achilles tendon. I can't recall exactly what was said but I think some of the hockey experts thought Selanne had lost a step and that his rookie season was perhaps the best year he would ever have. The loss of Housley was a big factor in Selanne scoring less. I do know that the trade turned Winnipeg upside down. Many were in disbelief. I can understand Paddock's thinking about this trade at the time. Zhamnov easily fooled many because he always left you wanting more and thinking that he could accomplish so much more.

He was easily having the best season of the trio at the time of the trade.

1. Selanne 51gp 24g 72pts 1.41ppg
2. Tkachuk 47gp 31g 57pts 1.21ppg
3. Zhamnov 42gp 19g 48pts 1.14ppg

He was also scoring at a higher rate than Tkachuk every season they played together and it's not like he was having awful seasons in the two previous injury riddled and lockout shortened seasons. 94-95 translates to 41g 90pts over a full season and 93-94 to 41g 89pts.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
pure financially motivated reasons.

That is one of the reasons I was annoyed with the sign "all is forgiven" that was at the game Teeemu played against the jets this year. The signed baffled me.

True North 11

Mar 1, 2012
Winnipeg
pure financially motivated reasons.

That is one of the reasons I was annoyed with the sign "all is forgiven" that was at the game Teeemu played against the jets this year. The signed baffled me.

I saw those and they greatly annoyed me as well. Teemu did absolutely nothing wrong so that sign was beyond stupid. I was talking about it with a bunch of people, both at the game and in the days after it and no one could think of anything that would logically explain the sign

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad