Why did the USSR catch up Canada so fast?

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
well as a Canadian living in europe I have been all over many countries and in the scandanavian countries there are lots and lots of arenas

Here are the number of indoor rinks in each country (top 10):

Canada 2,451
United States 1,800
Sweden 327
Russia 257
Finland 220
Germany 175
Czech Republic 157
Switzerland 157
France 130

In total 4269 are in North America, 1852 in Europe and 256 in the rest of the world.

btw. In all you time in Scandinavia you obviously didn't learn the word Kanadensisk.

Min fru är svensk.

tikkanen5rings*

Canada 2,451
United States 1,800
Sweden 327
Russia 257
Finland 220
Germany 175
Czech Republic 157
Switzerland 157
France 130

In total 4269 are in North America, 1852 in Europe and 256 in the rest of the world.

btw. In all you time in Scandinavia you obviously didn't learn the word Kanadensisk.

Min fru är svensk.

I am very suprised that theres only 257 indoor rinks in Russia:amazed:
It has to be a mistake. I also think there are more rinks in Skandinavia. Finland for example. My hometown has indoor rink and it's a town of about 20000 people. The next town wich is in Sweden is even smaller and they also have indoor rink.

Norway is a disgrace. It's weird they don't play hockey it's not like they gonna set the world on fire in soccer!? I guess they like ski'ing then...
Finland also is a disgrace. Hockey is no:1 sport there. The lack of succesful NHL'ers is amazing. All junior coaches should be fired. I mean look at Sweden. It's not much bigger country than Finland and they seem to have endless line of talent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
I am very suprised that theres only 257 indoor rinks in Russia:amazed:
It has to be a mistake. I also think there are more rinks in Skandinavia. Finland for example. My hometown has indoor rink and it's a town of about 20000 people. The next town wich is in Sweden is even smaller and they also have indoor rink.

Norway is a disgrace. It's weird they don't play hockey it's not like they gonna set the world on fire in soccer!? I guess they like ski'ing then...
Finland also is a disgrace. Hockey is no:1 sport there. The lack of succesful NHL'ers is amazing. All junior coaches should be fired. I mean look at Sweden. It's not much bigger country than Finland and they seem to have endless line of talent.

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-iihf/survey-of-players.html

Don't forget that Sweden and Finland are much richer nations on a per capita basis than Russia.

tikkanen5rings*

Diagonaali

Jan 8, 2009
Finland

Canada 2,451
United States 1,800
Sweden 327
Russia 257
Finland 220
Germany 175
Czech Republic 157
Switzerland 157
France 130

Min fru är svensk.

Nice statistics.

And it is supposed to prove what?

In Finland we play outside (or in my youth at least did lol) when we are kids. Playing hockey at -20 celcius degrees after cycling 5 kilometers carrying your skates and stick developes your character slightly more than if your daddy drives you daily in the an indoor rink for hockey practice.

The number of of active junior/amateur players in different leagues would be more relevant statistics if you want to brag what a ****ing superstar hockey country Canada is.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Nice statistics.

And it is supposed to prove what?

In Finland we play outside (or in my youth at least did lol) when we are kids. Playing hockey at -20 celcius degrees after cycling 5 kilometers carrying your skates and stick developes your character slightly more than if your daddy drives you daily in the an indoor rink for hockey practice.

The number of of active junior/amateur players in different leagues would be more relevant statistics if you want to brag what a ****ing superstar hockey country Canada is.

Those numbers are in the IIHF Survey of Players link I supplied above also and the number of players is roughly related to the number of rinks. As for your outdoor rink comment, not quite sure what to say, I think all the big hockey countries have a lot of outdoor hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->