Why did the Panthers take Ed Jovanovski first overall in 1994?

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Interesting to see two contrasting statements here. Was Friesen one of those wild cards where nobody knew where he would go?

Why didn't Lindros want to play with Gretzky? Was there a beef between them?

Friesen was certainly mentioned but never at #1. I remember the draft class well. Hockey News was popular then. I used to have a subscription.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I was in the barn in Windsor in '94 and let me tell you you I thought of the Wizard of Oz then: I didn't know whether he was the one who lacked heart or brain... but he clearly was a talent who was lacking....

We knew he would have an NHL career. but there was something missing from his game.

He is NOT an all-time great, but he is close to it, as he's always seemed to be.

(The Panthers never take the BPA, do they? ... sseriously, do the math 20/20, ...do they?_ )

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I was in the barn in Windsor in '94 and let me tell you you I thought of the Wizard of Oz then: I didn't know whether he was the one who lacked heart or brain... but he clearly was a talent who was lacking....

We knew he would have an NHL career. but there was something missing from his game.

He is NOT an all-time great, but he is close to it, as he's always seemed to be.

(The Panthers never take the BPA, do they? ... sseriously, do the math 20/20, ...do they?_ )

20/20? does anyone, except when there's a can't-miss at #1?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
2CA49808-92CE-419B-806C-214A7B3710FF.jpeg

literally the third thing that came up on google when i typed in bonsignore mario and lemieux

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Bonsignore now races and promotes Speedway

i always thought of bonsignore as hockey's poor man's version of christian laettner.

1993-94-Upper-Deck-560-Jason-Bonsignore-Team-USA.jpg

032717-cbk-christian-laettner-pi-lf.jpg

vanilla-ice.jpg

both tall vanilla ice-looking guys from western new york that had it all skill-wise and everybody hated. ironically, the real vanilla ice also ended up making his post-famous life in racing, though his was bikes.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Per the original thread, I suspect that the massive career year that Scott Stevens had just had played a pretty big part in Jovanovski - a player universally compared to Stevens at the time - going #1 overall.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Regarding Bonsignore, it was funny watching a clip of the 1993 Draft on YouTube. I was surprised to see that the NHL did the coin flip for Anaheim/Florida's 1993 and 1994 Draft positions just minutes before the 1993 Draft started. Winner of the flip got to choose between either having the 5th overall in 1993 + 1st overall in 1994 or 4th overall in 1993 + 2nd overall in 1994. Florida won the pick and chose the first option. TSN reporter then asked Florida GM Bobby Clarke if he was already eyeing Jason Bonsignore with the 1st overall pick in 1994; Clarke smirked for a split second and gave a generic response.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Regarding Bonsignore, it was funny watching a clip of the 1993 Draft on YouTube. I was surprised to see that the NHL did the coin flip for Anaheim/Florida's 1993 and 1994 Draft positions just minutes before the 1993 Draft started. Winner of the flip got to choose between either having the 5th overall in 1993 + 1st overall in 1994 or 4th overall in 1993 + 2nd overall in 1994. Florida won the pick and chose the first option. TSN reporter then asked Florida GM Bobby Clarke if he was already eyeing Jason Bonsignore with the 1st overall pick in 1994; Clarke smirked for a split second and gave a generic response.

kind of a funny draft in that respect.

here are the top picks:

jovo, hockey IQ deficient, some say his intensity was inconsistent but i think a lot of the time he was actually trying too hard

tivo, lazy, poor attitude (roenick said in his book he beat the crap out of him in practice twice for not taking things seriously)

bonk, coward

bonsignore, didn't care

o'neill, lazy, coach killer, out of shape, prima donna (and post-career he has shown himself to be a giant ahole)

storr, mentally weak

lindros, is a lindros

leaving just "good western boys" ryan smyth, career grinder/enforcer jason weimer, and AHL hall of famer nolan baumgartner as the only solid characters from the top ten of that draft.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yeah, but Roenick wants to beat everybody up for not being intense enough, Marleau included

tverdovsky was an interesting guy. so much skill, great at running a PP, but so many whispers surrounded him.

i can't imagine how toxic that late 90s coyotes team was. you had the hotel twins tkachuk and roenick leading the team, then this revolving door of past their prime veterans cashing their cheques, craig janney, gartner, dave manson, none of those guys are going to be confused with stalwart veteran leadership. hardy vets like tocchet and mccrimmon just playing out the string waiting for a deadline trade to a contender, and at one point or another basically the entire '94 canucks: ronning, adams, lumme, diduck, all in their emotionally crippled whatever phases.

The Coyotes, apparently, weren’t so sure any more, or were attempting to improve their own chemistry. Tverdovsky had feuded with Keith Tkachuk and had even scuffled with Jeremy Roenick on occasion.

“I don’t really know why they traded me,” Tverdovsky said. “I think it was one of those business decisions.”

Familiar Face Has Patching Up to Do

Jeremy Roenick is angry. Teammate Oleg Tverdovsky is the one who put him in this lousy mood, and now the two are locked in a stick-shoving battle. "Twice," Roenick screams, his mouth snarling in Tverdovsky's face. "You screwed up twice. Not once. Twice."

Jim Cummins, known around the NHL as a puncher, plays the role of peacemaker, stepping between Roenick and the object of his scorn. A simple drill during a simple off-day practice and Tverdovsky, a 1997 All-Star, has screwed it up. The crime: Tverdovsky isn't listening. That's not okay, a beet-red Roenick says. Not okay.

https://www.espn.com/espn/magazine/archives/news/story?page=magazine-19990322-article36

Tkachuk made the same calculated move in early November 1997 when he took his feelings about Oleg Tverdovsky's contract (or lack thereof) status to the media. Tkachuk said G.M. Bobby Smith should sign him for the money he is asking as he is an extremely valuable member of the team. A nice sentiment but Tkachuk knew he was stabbing Smith in the back. Now Smith is even deeper under the gun as most fans will take the side of their captain over management. But this is how Phoenix operates. ''Getting'' management for all the dollars they are worth is the key factor, and they are led in this by their captain.

CAUGHT IN THE NET - 'Hitting From Behind' - Phoenix Article

a lot of unsubstantiated discussion about tverdovky's character in this thread—Ducks and Devils Make Seven-Man Trade - Hockey Fights

but the weird thing is, in the end he wins two cups as a bit part on nj, then carolina. seems like exactly the kind of low upside former hotshot/noted headcase that that kind of team would avoid.

Last edited:

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
The Bonsignore-Lemieux comparisons were always insane. His 42 points as a 16-year old weren't exactly lighting the world on fire.

gotyournose

Oct 24, 2019
kind of a funny draft in that respect.

here are the top picks:

jovo, hockey IQ deficient, some say his intensity was inconsistent but i think a lot of the time he was actually trying too hard

tivo, lazy, poor attitude (roenick said in his book he beat the crap out of him in practice twice for not taking things seriously)

bonk, coward

bonsignore, didn't care

o'neill, lazy, coach killer, out of shape, prima donna (and post-career he has shown himself to be a giant ahole)

storr, mentally weak

lindros, is a lindros

leaving just "good western boys" ryan smyth, career grinder/enforcer jason weimer, and AHL hall of famer nolan baumgartner as the only solid characters from the top ten of that draft.

Bonsignire, of course the Oilers had to draft him. The guy they got at 6 was a lot better. Him and Daigle. Is their any other top 10 draft picks who plain and simple black and white did not care and had no interest?

Also, roneick beating up a guy for not caring is interesting. Jeff O'Neill is an unbearable insufferable broadcaster who was a coach killer.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
i just did a little article-digging to try to better remember the discussion leading up to the draft. that was back when i used to follow prospects and the WJC much more closely than i have the opportunity to do now, as an adult with a job and responsibilities. here are a few things i've been able to dig up, starting with a couple of controversies about the draft:

on bonk falling to 3--

on brett lindros (i'd never ever heard about this before, and it's not elabourated; anyone want to chime in?)--

on tivo--

source: After Ducks Pass, Kings Bolster Their Goal : NHL draft: Storr taken with seventh pick after Anaheim selects Tverdovsky.

another article about not taking bonk because of financial considerations-- Mighty Ducks Avoid Drafting Agents of Fortune

on jamie storr-

jeff o'neill on jason bonsignore--

others on bonsignore--

source: 1994 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

on the wings possibly trading up for storr--

on the bobby orr comparison--

on the nordiques and brett lindros--

source: RUMOR HAS DETROIT TRADING UP TO 3RD TO PICK GOALIE

on bonk vs. jovo--

on it being a weak draft (presumably compared to the can't-miss talent at the top of the '90, 91, and '93 drafts)--

source: Archives | The Philadelphia Inquirer

on players falling--

on tivo vs. bonk--

source: 1994 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

the one guy i couldn't find anything on was jason wiemer. i remember a lot of the year he was considered #5, behind bonk, o'neill, bonsignore, and storr. another guy who obviously got passed with jovo coming out of nowhere and scouts banking on him continuing to improve at a meteoric rate, and tivo, who most scouts hadn't seen much of previously, having an excellent WJC tournament, outshining everyone else in the draft other than storr in that tournament.

This notion of O'Neil being a Gilmour type is way way off.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
tverdovsky was an interesting guy. so much skill, great at running a PP, but so many whispers surrounded him. a lot of unsubstantiated discussion about tverdovky's character in this thread—Ducks and Devils Make Seven-Man Trade - Hockey Fights but the weird thing is, in the end he wins two cups as a bit part on nj, then carolina. seems like exactly the kind of low upside former hotshot/noted headcase that that kind of team would avoid.
There was a large interview with Tverdovsky ~10 years ago after which I was surprised he had a long NHL career at all.
In Russian: Олег Твердовский: железный человек НХЛ
Some points:
- he barely socialized with any Americans because of cultural and mentality difference (couldn't handle "insincere smiles" and generic responses), despite living in LA;
- hated the concept of proving his ability to young Mickey Mouse coaches who tell that Russians can't work hard;
- hated Canadian coaches that would never step away from the system;
- Marc Crawford shouldn't be allowed near a coaching job, he knows nothing about hockey and wasn't taught appropriate behavior. Oleg remembers Crawford insulting him at every practice;
- still confused how Dan Bylsma had a place in the NHL while all he could do was thump bins with his stick and yell in the locker room, baffled that he coaches the Penguins to the Cup;
- he dislikes hockey pranks and thinks Stanley Cup should be treated with more respect;
and so on.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

The Panthers do seem to draft for need. Even their most recent 1st round pick, Spencer Knight, was a need pick. But Jovo was definitely the right pick in 94. There was no better pick to be made at #1(Ryan Smith was not a possibility at #1). Plus you could tell Bill Torrey hoped he was drafting Denis Potvin all over again. There was no way he was not gonna pick him in the end.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
There was a large interview with Tverdovsky ~10 years ago after which I was surprised he had a long NHL career at all.
In Russian: Олег Твердовский: железный человек НХЛ
Some points:
- he barely socialized with any Americans because of cultural and mentality difference (couldn't handle "insincere smiles" and generic responses), despite living in LA;
- hated the concept of proving his ability to young Mickey Mouse coaches who tell that Russians can't work hard;
- hated Canadian coaches that would never step away from the system;
- Marc Crawford shouldn't be allowed near a coaching job, he knows nothing about hockey and wasn't taught appropriate behavior. Oleg remembers Crawford insulting him at every practice;
- still confused how Dan Bylsma had a place in the NHL while all he could do was thump bins with his stick and yell in the locker room, baffled that he coaches the Penguins to the Cup;
- he dislikes hockey pranks and thinks Stanley Cup should be treated with more respect;
and so on.

Those are all so true. Crawford lol.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Those are all so true. Crawford lol.

i had to look up when crawford and tverdovsky even crossed paths. a few games at the end of his career in LA on that dan cloutier kings team, ouch.

it's true though, crawford was stubborn, pigheaded, and generally did more harm than good. he held the sedins back and delayed their development for no good reason, and in colorado if he doesn't have it out for chris simon what do those epic brawls with detroit look like? he won one cup, again probably doing more harm than good, but did he cost them a few more?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad