Why did the Jets trade Teemu Selanne back in 1996?

Avengers*

The trade was: The Mighty Ducks sent first-round draft picks Chad Kilger and Oleg Tverdovsky, along with a third round selection at the 1996 NHL Entry Draft, in exchange for Selanne, Marc Chouinard and a fourth round draft pick.

The Mighty Ducks did a high robbery that day!

What would the Winnipeg Jets trade their best player? Any specific reason?

Spamhuis

Mar 29, 2009
Calgary
The trade was: The Mighty Ducks sent first-round draft picks Chad Kilger and Oleg Tverdovsky, along with a third round selection at the 1996 NHL Entry Draft, in exchange for Selanne, Marc Chouinard and a fourth round draft pick.

I'm going to take a wild stab at this one and say... they couldn't afford his salary. This was Winnipeg, in 1996... lol

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If I recall correctly, it was directly related to matching Keith Tkachuk's offer sheet a few months before that.

Here's an article from October 1995 about Tkachuk: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...119_1_hawks-offer-general-manager-bob-pulford

The deal was frontloaded and Tkachuk's salary that year was only behind Gretzky and Messier.

That is why Tkachuk had steadfastly refused to sign an offer sheet, fearing the Jets would match it. It's also why the Hawks structured the deal so as to make it seem probable the lame-duck Jets, having already opened their limited coffers to sign Teemu Selanne, could not match it.

From another thread, there seems to be some hearsay that the impending Phoenix ownership wanted to jettison the contract.

At the time, Tverdovsky/Kilger was a pretty big return. Tverdovsky hadn't turned 20 yet and wasn't too far removed from being a 2nd overall pick. Similarly Kilger was 19 and made the NHL directly out of the 1995 Draft.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

As more money was flowing into the NHL, the large-market teams were beginning to reduce the small-market teams into something that was little more than indentured servitude.

But at the time of this deal, it wasn't regarded as that lopsided. Selanne had the huge rookie year, then suffered a lacerated Achilles tendon that cost him a lot of time and some of his legendary speed. He looked to be bouncing back, but there was certainly a fear that he would never be the same player he was as a rookie. In addition, Kilger and Tverdovsky were both highly-touted prospects. Kilger was regarded as a future high-end power forward, and Tverdovsky was a phenom when he was 16 and looked to be a great defenseman in the future.

It looks bad in retrospect because:
- Selanne did in fact bounce back in a big way and found immediate chemistry with Paul Kariya
- Kilger didn't develop at all
- Tverdovsky became merely a serviceable high-end defenseman instead of "the Russian Bobby Orr", as he'd been hyped

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
The word-on-the-street consensus in Manitoba was that Phoenix was pulling the strings. They were willing to pay only 1 superstar, and they deemed Tkachuk's American heritage to be more marketable than Teemu and his Finnish descent. John Paddock was effectively a puppet for Colangelo's hockey brass, just trying to save his own job.

Don't underestimate the symbolic nature of that trade to Winnipeggers. Selanne's loss was equated to the city's loss of the franchise. Selanne donning the eggplant for the Mighty Ducks (and I'm a HUGE fan of those uni's, but hockey traditionalists in Manitoba generally despised them at the time) symbolized the NHL's perceived newfound "corporatism" (Disney) and "Americanism".

This website (Article: "Winnipeg Wonders Why") still sits in cyberspace from the solemn spring of 1996, and is an interesting read, IMO:

http://www.lcshockey.com/issues/38/feature1.asp

Yet the departure of Teemu Selanne to Anaheim is an indelible event that will be forever known to Winnipeg fans not as the loss of a fine player, but an unequivocal reminder of the loss of the franchise.

(snip)

"John Paddock has effectively given Winnipeg fans the finger," said local hockey scribe Scott Taylor.

(snip)

Neither will the failure of the Spirit of Manitoba or the Save the Jets campaign be remembered as profound events that marked the demise of the franchise. The day the Jets lost the Finnish Flash will always be known as the day the Lights Went Out In Winnipeg. Teemu has left the building.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
both kilger and tverdovsky were rushed into the league, first by a very bad anaheim team, and then by a totally leader-less jets/yotes team. as i recall, captain tkachuk publicly backed tverdovsky's holdout and cheered him for "sticking it to management."

as for the deal itself, keep in mind that the jets hadn't been in the playoffs since '92, where tkachuk looked like a very young, raw, but promising neely. he hadn't established himself as a playoff choker yet. if the choice is between keeping the young, seemingly heart-and-soul power forward just hitting his prime and a seemingly damaged-goods scorer (two years older) who relies on his wheels and who's never regained his one-shot scoring touch, it's very easy to see how that decision was made.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Probably because they were going broke

That and this
US to Canadian Dollar exchange for the year of 1996

1996-01-01 1.3669
1996-02-01 1.3752
1996-03-01 1.3656
1996-04-01 1.3592
1996-05-01 1.3693
1996-06-01 1.3658
1996-07-01 1.3697
1996-08-01 1.3722
1996-09-01 1.3694
1996-10-01 1.3508
1996-11-01 1.3381
1996-12-01 1.3622

Wizeman*

Probably because they were going broke

This. I remember at the time Selanne was no longer cracking 76 goals .He had had injury and was back down to earth with modest totals.

At the time, the Jets ripped the Ducks off in that trade. However, Kilger and Trev did not pan out like they were supposed to at all and Selanne regained his form.

Goes to show that we can plan trades with the best of intentions, and have them either make us look like genius or have them blow up in our face.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
This. I remember at the time Selanne was no longer cracking 76 goals .He had had injury and was back down to earth with modest totals.

At the time, the Jets ripped the Ducks off in that trade. However, Kilger and Trev did not pan out like they were supposed to at all and Selanne regained his form.

Goes to show that we can plan trades with the best of intentions, and have them either make us look like genius or have them blow up in our face.

If by *back down to earth* you mean 40 goals, then yes. Back down to earth in one of the lowest scoring eras.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
both kilger and tverdovsky were rushed into the league, first by a very bad anaheim team, and then by a totally leader-less jets/yotes team. as i recall, captain tkachuk publicly backed tverdovsky's holdout and cheered him for "sticking it to management."

as for the deal itself, keep in mind that the jets hadn't been in the playoffs since '92, where tkachuk looked like a very young, raw, but promising neely. he hadn't established himself as a playoff choker yet. if the choice is between keeping the young, seemingly heart-and-soul power forward just hitting his prime and a seemingly damaged-goods scorer (two years older) who relies on his wheels and who's never regained his one-shot scoring touch, it's very easy to see how that decision was made.

Definitely. Although Selanne had the ridiculous rookie year. But if that situation would present itself now, I bet most of this board would also be in favor of Tkachuk.

Well, we all know what happened. Selanne resurged and then some and became other half on one of the best duos in the history of hockey. But nobody really saw that coming.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
If by *back down to earth* you mean 40 goals, then yes. Back down to earth in one of the lowest scoring eras.

back down to earth as in he led the league in goals in his rookie year, but if you look just at his production in winnipeg the year he was traded, he was on pace to finish just outside the top 20 in 1996. he finished 18th in 1995. he was on pace to finish 19th in 1994 had he played the full season.

obviously, selanne regained his rookie form in his first three full seasons in anaheim, finishing 2nd, 1st, and 1st in goals. but he certainly looked like damaged goods when he was traded.

to be fair though, he put up some monster assists in winnipeg before he was traded. on pace to finish 7th in assists, 5th in points in '96 if you just count the winnipeg stats (and not what he did the rest of the season in anaheim).

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
My understanding is it was just money, but that Phoenix/marketing/American angle is interesting food for thought.

Langdon Alger*

Huh? Selänne had 72 points in 51 games when he was traded.

In 1996, both Kilger and Tverdovsky were considered to be future superstars - players teams could build around. Tverdovsky was especially hyped as the "next Bobby Orr."

At the time, Anaheim was seen to have acquired a superstar and to have paid an exorbitant price for the privilege. The return might look like diddly-squat now, and it is, but it wasn't when the trade was made.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
like others had said earlier, at the time the trade looked pretty even for both sides

the mighty ducks got an established superstar while giving up two very highly touted prospects. it's just funny how things turn out, kilger never lived up to the hype and tverdovsky had one good season with phoenix before returning to anaheim while selanne continued to put up points

JA

I'll add my contribution to the thread.

The official reason, according to John Paddock, was that the team had "too much talent tied up in its forwards and not enough on defense." They were struggling on the ice and there was internal pressure to perform. Finances certainly must have played a role, but the articles below indicate a sense of urgency for the team to be competitive. There were some rumors that the Jets were looking at a player like Scott Neidermayer to add to their team.
Being the boss enough for Slats: [FINAL Edition]
Matheson, Jim. Edmonton Journal [Edmonton, Alta] 05 Feb 1996: D.3.

If the New Jersey Devils trade unhappy defenceman Scott Neidermayer, they're nuts.

But they won't win without a centre or a shooter like Teemu Selanne, who's on the block in Winnipeg only because GM John Paddock doesn't like it that his three best players are forwards.

``I won't be disappointed if I'm moved,'' said Niedermayer, who could be a 60- to 70-point defenceman but coach Jacques Lemaire won't give him the green light to rush the puck.
Time to tinker with teams: [Final Edition]
Gallagher, Tony. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 01 Feb 1996: A53.

The Jets are desperate to make the playoffs and will deal heavily to make it happen. Teemu Selanne could go for a quality defender and this would alter their chemistry significantly.
GMs meeting perfect place to plant seed for future trade: [Final Edition]
McKenzie, Bob. Toronto Star [Toronto, Ont] 05 Feb 1996: E.1.

Teemu Selanne: The Winnipeg (Phoenix) Jets have too much money and offensive talent tied up in their trio of forwards (Selanne, Alexei Zhamnov and Keith Tkachuk) and not enough talent on the blue line. If Jets GM John Paddock can acquire a top-end defenceman for the Finnish Flash, he'll do it.
There was a major rumor floating around about a deal between the Devils and Jets:
GMs seek clearer NHL scoring rule Discussion of goals that go in off skate expected to result in stricter definition
Shoalts, David. The Globe and Mail [Toronto, Ont] 06 Feb 1996: N.15.

Subject of the most rumours are the New Jersey Devils. They're said to be so desperate for scoring that they're willing to trade star defenceman Scott Niedermayer, along with poorly performing Stephane Richer.

One possible destination for Niedermayer is Winnipeg, where the Jets are willing to give up scoring star Teemu Selanne.

This hasn't pleased Selanne. "All I can think of is, 'Thanks a lot,' " Selanne told The Canadian Press. "I was very angry (the Jets didn't deny the rumours) because nobody has ever talked to me and told me not to worry. It makes you feel like they don't care for you."
The entire team, meanwhile, actually seemed unhappy about their progress, and some were even calling for changes to be made. I'm not so sure we can pinpoint this all on finances as players were starting to call each other out:
Jets continue free fall from playoff ranks: [FINAL Edition]
MacIntyre, Iain. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 05 Feb 1996: D.2.

WINNIPEG -- The Winnipeg Jets are headed south, on the map and in the standings.

The Jets have been a lame-duck franchise since the club was sold and slotted for an off-season move to Phoenix. But with a 2-6-1 record in their last nine games, the Jets are looking lame on the ice, too.

In a tight playoff battle, where only nine points separate six teams scrapping at present for the final two post-season berths, the Jets dropped Sunday another game they needed to win.

The Vancouver Canucks out-shot the Jets 18-5 in the third period, scoring twice for a 4-2 victory.

``To be out-shot like that and out-worked like that in a game we needed so much, there's got to be something wrong,'' Winnipeg captain Kris King said. ``What this team needs is a kick in the butt.''

Or a major trade, which has been rumored for weeks. Teemu Selanne, the marquee Jet most likely to be moved, admitted Sunday it is affecting his play. It also seems to be affecting his teammates.

``This is it,'' winger Keith Tkachuk said. ``We've been together for a while now. We're going to a new city, so this is the year to make changes. And if we're not going to be successful, they're (new owners) going to do something.

``We're playing teams we need to be beating, but are putting ourselves in a worse position. Any time you're in your own building, tied 2-2 and play the way we did in the third, it's not encouraging. We deserved to lose.''

Frustrated Jets' coach Terry Simpson said he may call up players from the minors, but it's preposterous to think Iain Fraser or Rob Murray can stop the freefall if Tkachuk, Selanne and Alexei Zhamnov can't.

``It's a bad situation,'' Zhamnov said. ``I don't think anybody is happy about the last two weeks. Every point is very important to the team. There aren't too many games left.''

``We made a couple of mistakes and it cost us the game,'' defenceman Dave Manson said. ``I think everybody knows what kind of situation we're in.''
The deal with Anaheim was actually a last-minute, desperate attempt to get rid of Selanne after negotiations with other teams failed. Teemu might have been an Islander instead.
Mighty Ducks trade youth for big name: [FINAL Edition]
Matheson, Jim. Edmonton Journal [Edmonton, Alta] 08 Feb 1996: D.3.

Teemu Selanne for Oleg Tverdovsky and Chad Kilger; a 25-year-old forward who scored 76 goals two years ago and is seventh in NHL scoring right now for a 19-year-old Russian defenceman who was the No. 2 pick in the '94 draft and a 19-year-old centre in Chad Kilger, who was No. 4 last July when the amateur lottery was at the Coliseum.

``We get lots of newspaper clippings at our office and I kept reading about Selanne being shopped in Winnipeg. I finally said `I guess I better get in on this,' '' said Anaheim GM Jack Ferreira. ``Believe me, we had to really discuss giving up two kids, but Teemu Selanne doesn't come along often.''

And Ferreira covered his tracks a little bit by also getting the Jets' second pick in the '95 draft, centre Marc Chouinard.

``Look, it takes 10 years to build a team through the draft today,'' said Bob McCammon, who interviewed for the Anaheim GM job several years back and now is an Edmonton Oiler assistant coach. So, the Mighty Ducks gave up two drafts for a proven 25-year-old winger.

Selanne, one of the nicest guys in hockey, was so upset Wednesday that he ripped the nameplate off his locker.

He didn't deserve this, but he's gone because: (1) Keith Tkachuk makes $6 million and the Jets can't trade him; (2) Alexei Zhamnov has a bad rep around the league for firing agents and he's been sulking this year because he's making half of what Selanne's getting and a quarter of what Tkachuk's getting, but he's the Jets' first-line centre and (3) Jets GM John Paddock, who said last summer he couldn't have his best three players all forwards and on the same line, got the most interest for Selanne.

He thought he had a deal with the New York Islanders for Kirk Muller, Mathieu Schneider and Wade Redden for Selanne and another player a few weeks back but it fizzled.

Tverdovsky, who was billed as the Russian Bobby Orr at the '94 draft in Hartford, skates like Paul Coffey but has a tendency to think like Michel Petit. OK, he's only 19 but he's been more flash than real substance so far; he has 22 points in 51 games and reportedly wasn't coach Ron Wilson's favorite.

Now, Kilger and Tverdovsky. This goes against the grain in Anaheim, where Ferreira has always been big on the draft, but it's pretty much a wash on salaries. Kilger makes $850,000, Tverdovsky is averaging $1.4 million for his three-year contract and if you throw in Bob Corkum ($550,000) who was dealt to Philadelphia Tuesday, it comes to about the $3 million a year Selanne makes.
Teemu felt betrayed. Fans felt betrayed. Coach Terry Simpson did not like the trade.
Selanne steams as Jets trade him to Ducks: [FINAL Edition]
The Gazette [Montreal, Que] 08 Feb 1996: C.9.

The initial hurt turned to resignation yesterday as Teemu Selanne prepared to leave the city where he started his NHL career. The Winnipeg Jets' top scorer was sent to the Anaheim Mighty Ducks for promising defenceman Oleg Tverdovsky and second-line centre Chad Kilger.

``I'm happy I started my hockey career here, where hockey was a huge thing,'' said Selanne, who sounded badly let down. ``It's a great hockey town.'' But he said at least it's nice to go somewhere where he's wanted. ``Everybody's for sale. I realize it's a business and I'm not angry. There's nothing that I can do about it.''

Selanne had flown into a rage and ripped his nameplate from his locker after hearing of the trade over the phone from Jets general manager John Paddock. At a press conference later, he cooly shrugged off the gesture. ``I didn't want to see the name there any more.'' He mentioned that he'd be leaving his live-in girlfriend behind. She is expecting their first child in about two weeks.

Coach Terry Simpson said the rest of the Jets lineup will have to pick up their game as the newcomers adjust.

``It's very unrealistic to expect Tverdovsky and Kilger, two 19-year-old hockey players, to come in and take the slack up that's left when your leading scorer goes,'' Simpson said. Besides, one trade will hardly solve the Jets' sagging record as the playoffs near, he noted. ``Whether we make a trade today or don't make a trade today, I don't think time is really on our side,'' said Simpson, who also didn't sound thrilled about the deal.

The trade was received poorly by Jets fans, who are watching their franchise play out its last season before it moves to a new home in Phoenix. Selanne hasn't always lived up to expectations since his record-setting rookie season in 1992-93, when he scored 76 goals and won the Calder Trophy as the league's top rookie. But he has remained a fan favorite.

There were dozens more angry calls. But the Jets don't have to worry about pleasing Winnipeg hockey fans. Not only are they relocating for the 1996-97, but Manitoba taxpayers have to cover any losses this season - no matter how low the team's attendance plunges.

The fans may see it as madness, but the method behind the trade is Winnipeg's desperate need for improved defence - something they hope Tverdovsky can deliver. ``Without putting too much pressure on him, people are saying he's a young Paul Coffey or Phil Housley type of player,'' said Mike O'Hearn, Winnipeg's assistant general manager.

Works Cited

Gallagher, Tony. "Time to Tinker with Teams." The Province: 0. Feb 01 1996. ProQuest. Web. 8 Nov. 2013 .

MacIntyre, Iain. "Jets Continue Free Fall from Playoff Ranks." The Vancouver Sun: 0. Feb 05 1996. ProQuest. Web. 8 Nov. 2013 .

Matheson, Jim. "Being the Boss enough for Slats." Edmonton Journal: 0. Feb 05 1996. ProQuest. Web. 8 Nov. 2013 .

Matheson, Jim. "Mighty Ducks Trade Youth for Big Name." Edmonton Journal: 0. Feb 08 1996. ProQuest. Web. 8 Nov. 2013 .

McKenzie, Bob. "GMs Meeting Perfect Place to Plant Seed for Future Trade." Toronto Star: 0. Feb 05 1996. ProQuest. Web. 8 Nov. 2013 .

"Selanne Steams as Jets Trade Him to Ducks." The Gazette: 0. Feb 08 1996. ProQuest. Web. 8 Nov. 2013 .

Shoalts, David. "GMs Seek Clearer NHL Scoring Rule Discussion of Goals that Go in Off Skate Expected to Result in Stricter Definition." The Globe and Mail: 0. Feb 06 1996. ProQuest. Web. 8 Nov. 2013 .

Last edited by a moderator:

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Wow, a Niedermayer-Selanne trade would have benefitted the Jets/Coyotes, and Niedermayer also, as Paddock would have let him do this thing offensively. I can't imagine Selanne being too happy about going to NJ though with their defense first attitude.

As for Kilger and Tverdovsky, I remember Oleg being hyped as the next great defenseman, I remember having a book about NHL defensemen, then at the end of it they had future stars, and Tverdovsky was there. He did have some big seasons offensively when he was traded back to Anaheim in the late 90's, but ultimately he fell back to Earth and was out of the league just after he turned 30 years old.

Kilger was a star with the Frontenacs in 94-95 when he helped Ling win the CHL Player of the Year award, but he was a typical mid-90's draft pick where size was everything as teams were hoping to get the next Eric Lindros, and I'm sure the Jets thought they were getting a second Keith Tkachuk in their lineup. He probably should have been sent back to the OHL in 95-96, but the Ducks kept him up and he eventually ended up in Winnipeg. Kilger put up decent numbers in the AHL, but could never do it in the NHL. Then he was bounced around the league for the rest of his career before retiring after failing to report to the Panthers in 2008.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
wow never even knew of the potential selanne for niedermayer trade

it's interesting to think how that would have played out

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Wow. A lot of misinformation in this thread. lol

- the Jets did not trade Teemu because they " were broke " nor did they trade him because Shenkarow was having financial problems. He was traded because the owners of the soon-to-be Phoenix Coyotes felt they had too much money tied up in two players in Selanne and Tkachuk (not to mention the fact they felt they could not afford both -trouble from the getgo in Phoenix!). Feeling Tkachuk was the better player long term and the more marketable star they gave the go-ahead to Paddock to trade Selanne.

-Selanne was nearly two years removed from his achilles injury and was most definitely not perceived as "damaged goods." See, I can make this claim having watched the player in person and on TV many times both before and after the injury and noticing little, if any, discernable dropoff in speed... unlike many here who I suspect, base their stance on nothing more than simply looking up his career and injury stats and deciding, "hey, Selanne's goal totals dropped by nearly 50% after his first season so it clearly must be the result of theachilles injury he suffered!"

If you bothered to do your homework, you would have realized Selanne's production had dropped of dramatically in his second season BEFORE the achilles tendon injury, not after. The factors that lead to Selanne's dropoff include:

1)Phil Housley' departure from the Jets - arguably the biggest reason. Still remember those perfect 60 to 100 foot tape-to-tape passes Housley made to Selanne for breakaways that more often than not led to goals. Housley's excellent outlet passes led to many a quick odd man rush of which Selanne was also a major benefactor. He also QBed the power play. Guess who benefitted with power play goals in 92-92? When Housley left in 93-94 Teemu's scoring chances dwindled. Also didn't help that the Jets second best offensive defenseman, Freddie Olausson, was out most of the season with injury.

2)While he was a high profile rookie, Teemu took many in the league by surprise so many teams around the league didn't take the appropriate steps to prepare for Selanne come gameday. No such surprise element existed in his second season. Combine that with fewer offensive threats on the Jets, and opposing teams which more effective in shutting him down.

3)League scoring dropped dramatically from 92-93 to 93-94. There were only 3 or 4 teams with 300+ goals in 93-94 compared with 15 teams in 92-93. This is staggering. It was beginning of the end of the NHL's highest scoring era and the beginning of the dreaded dead puck era. Of course, the number of 50-goal scorers and the number of 100-point scorers in the NHL decreased dramatically as well. Selanne's production dropped off with them.

-as for the trade, it was generally regarded as fair value at the time..outside of Winnipeg - the one thing that I can agree upon being stated in this thread. In Winnipeg, of course, it didn't matter what kind of compensation the team received. It felt like the team and Winnipeg collectively were getting their hearts ripped out...as if losing the team wasn't going to be devastating enough, the city was losing it's favorite player - a community-minded individual who thrilled you with his class and all-around great attitude off the ice as much as he did with his skills on it.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
One can only wonder how Selänne in New Jersey would have worked out. It seems like a mismatch made in heaven, much like Jagr in Washington. He definitely would have scored some points, but he certainly couldn't have freewheeled as much as he did in Anaheim. One can think that the trade didn't went down for a reason.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Wow. A lot of misinformation in this thread. lol

- the Jets did not trade Teemu because they " were broke " nor did they trade him because Shenkarow was having financial problems. He was traded because the owners of the soon-to-be Phoenix Coyotes felt they had too much money tied up in two players in Selanne and Tkachuk (not to mention the fact they felt they could not afford both -trouble from the getgo in Phoenix!). Feeling Tkachuk was the better player long term and the more marketable star they gave the go-ahead to Paddock to trade Selanne.

-Selanne was nearly two years removed from his achilles injury and was most definitely not perceived as "damaged goods." See, I can make this claim having watched the player in person and on TV many times both before and after the injury and noticing little, if any, discernable dropoff in speed... unlike many here who I suspect, base their stance on nothing more than simply looking up his career and injury stats and deciding, "hey, Selanne's goal totals dropped by nearly 50% after his first season so it clearly must be the result of theachilles injury he suffered!"

If you bothered to do your homework, you would have realized Selanne's production had dropped of dramatically in his second season BEFORE the achilles tendon injury, not after. The factors that lead to Selanne's dropoff include:

1)Phil Housley' departure from the Jets - arguably the biggest reason. Still remember those perfect 60 to 100 foot tape-to-tape passes Housley made to Selanne for breakaways that more often than not led to goals. Housley's excellent outlet passes led to many a quick odd man rush of which Selanne was also a major benefactor. He also QBed the power play. Guess who benefitted with power play goals in 92-92? When Housley left in 93-94 Teemu's scoring chances dwindled. Also didn't help that the Jets second best offensive defenseman, Freddie Olausson, was out most of the season with injury.

2)While he was a high profile rookie, Teemu took many in the league by surprise so many teams around the league didn't take the appropriate steps to prepare for Selanne come gameday. No such surprise element existed in his second season. Combine that with fewer offensive threats on the Jets, and opposing teams which more effective in shutting him down.

3)League scoring dropped dramatically from 92-93 to 93-94. There were only 3 or 4 teams with 300+ goals in 93-94 compared with 15 teams in 92-93. This is staggering. It was beginning of the end of the NHL's highest scoring era and the beginning of the dreaded dead puck era. Of course, the number of 50-goal scorers and the number of 100-point scorers in the NHL decreased dramatically as well. Selanne's production dropped off with them.

-as for the trade, it was generally regarded as fair value at the time..outside of Winnipeg - the one thing that I can agree upon being stated in this thread. In Winnipeg, of course, it didn't matter what kind of compensation the team received. It felt like the team and Winnipeg collectively were getting their hearts ripped out...as if losing the team wasn't going to be devastating enough, the city was losing it's favorite player - a community-minded individual who thrilled you with his class and all-around great attitude off the ice as much as he did with his skills on it.

and i can say, big guy, that i saw selanne play divisional games against my boys and yeah, he was not the same. so many of teemu's goals in '93 were shots in mid-stride streaking toward the goal. he was a beautiful well-oiled scoring machine. some combination of the breakaway speed and the quickness of getting his shot off weren't there in the years after. maybe he could skate *almost* as well as ever, maybe his shot from a stationary position on the PP was as good as ever, but in those next three winnipeg years, i didn't see them in sync in the same way as in '93. do you really disagree with that, tough sauce?

i mean, yeah, scoring dropped. i grant you that, shooter. but he went from #1 in the league to the lower fringes of the top twenty. and yeah, phil housley was a huge part of that 76 goal season, but are you really ready to credit housley with the difference between an 18th place finish and a 1st place finish? you must think less of teemu than i do then, chief.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
One can only wonder how Selänne in New Jersey would have worked out. It seems like a mismatch made in heaven, much like Jagr in Washington. He definitely would have scored some points, but he certainly couldn't have freewheeled as much as he did in Anaheim. One can think that the trade didn't went down for a reason.

Definitely interesting to read these rumors after the fact since 1996 was very early into my fandom into hockey.

It would have been interesting to see whether Teemu would have fit. While the Devils were built on their defense, there was the three season stretch from 1998-2001 when they were one of the top offensive teams in the league. Alexander Mogilny potted 43 goals in his only full season as a Devil, so Selanne might have worked.

But tough to say if we take Niedermayer out of the equation. Allegedly in 2003, the Devils close to a deal with San Jose for Selanne but he used his NTC to block it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->