Movies: Why did the Don LaFontaine-inspired voice narration fad last for so long for movie trailers?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

It's something that does not hold up whatsoever when you look back on it, just so cheesy. What made it last so long? From the late 80s to the early/mid 2000s this was all the rage for movie trailers.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

It's something that does not hold up whatsoever when you look back on it, just so cheesy. What made it last so long? From the late 80s to the early/mid 2000s this was all the rage for movie trailers.

Interesting thread.

Without too much thought, I'd guess it has to do with films during that time period being less reliant on existing IP. Trailers had to do a lot more heavy lifting to generate interest in a film. You had to provide the full film setup in a brief trailer. Plus, trailers were still primarily viewed in theatres to an audience that doesn't that doesn't know what they are about to watch.

Now, people seek out trailers out, or its pushed to them via social media. The context is given through there. Most films are connected to an existing media property that people have some familiarity with.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah the fact that back then the only place you saw trailers was movie theatres and tv commercials makes a lot of sense for why the voice over exposition lasted so long.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Also consider what trailers were like before that where there was little to no flair and it was largely just a chronological summary of the movie:

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Heh, I actually really dig Dan LaFontaine and his voiceovers. He was so prolific at the time if someone else did the VO for the trailer, you wondered why the ‘Trailer Guy’ wasn’t on it.

I’m far too high to link it, but google Seinfeld’s Comedian trailer. Awesome stuff.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Also consider what trailers were like before that where there was little to no flair and it was largely just a chronological summary of the movie:

:laugh:

Ive never watched The Graduate but I have watched Wayne's World 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad