Why did Steve Webb only play physical against the Leafs during the games in Long Island in 2002?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I remember during Games 3, 4 & 6 in Long Island of the Maple Leafs and Islanders 2002 Eastern Conference Quarter Final series Steve Webb was a non stop hitting machine no matter who was on the ice for Toronto. It made the Islanders fans go crazy and in one of those games Webb was named the first star. However during Games 1, 2, 5 & 7 in Toronto I don't remember Webb being as physical with his hits, in fact it's like he was not even playing in those games. So why did he only play a physical game in Long Island and did not play the same way in Toronto?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Some guys play better at home than away.

That’s like asking why did JS Giguere play better at home in the 2003 Cup Finals than at the Meadowlands

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
upload_2019-2-12_14-8-1.png

that’s a pretty big lock...

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
The atmosphere at home was crazy and probably inspired him. The fans were chanting his nsme and singing songs praising him. Hard not to get pumped in that situation.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Steve Webb threw more hits per game from 99-01 than any Maple Leaf during the regular season. I'm not sure it's really accurate to say he 'only played physical at home', as if he was timid in another team's barn. The guy was a hitting machine no matter who he played or where he played.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bood12

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think it's more fair to say that players like Roberts, Tucker, Domi and Corson had more of a pushback on home ice and fed off the crowd than it is to suggest Webb did that.

Webb body checked the doctor as he came out of the womb.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
This thread stinks of homerism and selective memory.

In game 1, Webb played as usual. In game 2 he was benched for most of the game. In game 5 he got a roughing and a boarding penalty. In game 7 he played as usual.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
why did Tucker and Roberts decide to do their cowardly cheap shots at Peca and Jonsson in Toronto? and considering Webb was a hitting machine I am guessing your "memory" is faulty at best

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
why did Tucker and Roberts decide to do their cowardly cheap shots at Peca and Jonsson in Toronto? and considering Webb was a hitting machine I am guessing your "memory" is faulty at best
At least Tucker and Roberts were factors in goals scored by the Leafs, where as Webb had 0 points in the seven games played. If it was not for all his hits that made him so popular would anyone besides Islanders fans know about him? I also don't believe I have a selective memory because it was obvious when Webb did any hits during the games in Long Island and I can not remember him doing those same hits in Toronto.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
At least Tucker and Roberts were factors in goals scored by the Leafs, where as Webb had 0 points in the seven games played. If it was not for all his hits that made him so popular would anyone besides Islanders fans know about him? I also don't believe I have a selective memory because it was obvious when Webb did any hits during the games in Long Island and I can not remember him doing those same hits in Toronto.
The hell does them having goals and popularity have anything to do with anything, each hockey player has a job, should OJ Simpson be defended because he murdered 2 people but he at least won a Heisman and set NFL records?

Reactions: Hobnobs

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The hell does them having goals and popularity have anything to do with anything, each hockey player has a job, should OJ Simpson be defended because he murdered 2 people but he at least won a Heisman and set NFL records?
Basically in my opinion all those hits from Webb which made him popular among Islanders fans turned him into a one hit wonder.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The atmosphere at home was crazy and probably inspired him. The fans were chanting his nsme and singing songs praising him. Hard not to get pumped in that situation.

Plus he was hitting turds like Darcy Tucker and Shayne Corson constantly. Even from neutral fans, it's hard not to like the guy after that.

Reactions: Flobber

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What does that have to do with the topic of the thread?
It was my response on why I think he was so popular with Islanders fans, because he was not known as a goal scorer and the next season he only played in 49 games. So that series against Toronto was his 15 minuets of fame.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
It was my response on why I think he was so popular with Islanders fans, because he was not known as a goal scorer and the next season he only played in 49 games. So that series against Toronto was his 15 minuets of fame.

Again, what does that have to do with the thread? This only proves that you just wanted to rant about a player you hated. 15 years after he was last an active player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad