Why did Sergei Fedorov lose his alternate captaincy?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, that was when he did the Carolina thing, obsene amount of bonus money making the third round as I recall.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Yeah, that was when he did the Carolina thing, obsene amount of bonus money making the third round as I recall.

Ohhh right. A bonus that was almost unobtainable for him playing with Carolina, but much more likely if he stayed in Detroit (in fact, he did get it from Detroit as they won their second Cup in a row)

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
It's so funny when ppl say "he did the Carolina thing", Carolina was the ones who threw obscene amounts of money at Fedorov and he wouldve been a fool not to take it. I agree hes a money hungry headcase but dont fool yourselves into thinking any other player wouldve said no.

Even Sakic signed an offer sheet to get Avs to raise his salary ffs. :laugh:

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
It's so funny when ppl say "he did the Carolina thing", Carolina was the ones who threw obscene amounts of money at Fedorov and he wouldve been a fool not to take it. I agree hes a money hungry headcase but dont fool yourselves into thinking any other player wouldve said no.

I don't know that it's an issue with offer sheets in general so much as it is an issue with Fedorov not signing one until late-February. Obviously had Sakic held out on signing with New York until late-February, his captaincy would not be waiting for him upon his return.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I don't know that it's an issue with offer sheets in general so much as it is an issue with Fedorov not signing one until late-February. Obviously had Sakic held out on signing with New York until late-February, his captaincy would not be waiting for him upon his return.

As I said, Im not a fan of his actions here and maybe my memory is wrong but didn't Carolina give him the offer sheet in february? Because why wouldnt he have signed it? Golden oppurtunity with loads of money.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

I know we're all bopelessly biased against players from across the pond here, but the real reason why it is different is that the deal was structured specifically to screw Detroit if they matched.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I know we're all bopelessly biased against players from across the pond here, but the real reason why it is different is that the deal was structured specifically to screw Detroit if they matched.

and that is Fedorovs fault? It was still Carolinas offer sheet.

and I dont see what the first part of your argument has to do with anything, stick to the topic or stay out of it.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI

So was Sakic's. The difference is that he didn't miss five months of the season, so the team didn't have to give away his letter.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
So was Sakic's. The difference is that he didn't miss five months of the season, so the team didn't have to give away his letter.

btw. I agree with you, if he hadn't held out for 5 months he would prolly have kept his A but then again we are talking about Bowman so he mightve lost it anyways.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
and another thing. The whole circus that the offer sheet started was because the NHL rejected the offer sheet, not Detroit. ! hour after the decision that the sheet was valid Detroit matched.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
btw. I agree with you, if he hadn't held out for 5 months he would prolly have kept his A but then again we are talking about Bowman so he mightve lost it anyways.

I want to say that Shanahan already was an alternate captain and that Fedorov's holdout made room for Nicklas Lidstrom. I don't recall it being anything nefarious, and had one of them left before Fedorov did, maybe he gets his letter back.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
There is also a picture of Sakic playing a game without any letter on his chest as well. As an Avalanche member.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

Sakic's contract had a provision that the team would have to pay a huge bonus if they made a round of the playoffs that was likely for Colorado but not the Rangers?

ie. Colorado had to pay substantially more (short term) to keep him than the Rangers would have?

Last edited:

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Sakic's contract had a provision that the team would have to pay a huge bonus if they made a round of the playoffs that was likely for Colorado but not the Rangers?

ie. Colorado had to pay substantially more to keep him than the Rangers would have?

Carolina put that clause there because A) If they didnt reach the conf. finals they wouldnt have to pay that bonus and B) if they did they did the revenue for the next season would have payed that bonus and more.

This was an attempt to boost hockey in a small market, which also screwed another team. So I'm asking again is that Fedorovs fault?

Rangers put up a 15 million dollar signing bonus in their offer sheet to Sakic.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Carolina put that clause there because A) If they didnt reach the conf. finals they wouldnt have to pay that bonus and B) if they did they did the revenue for the next season would have payed that bonus and more.

This was an attempt to boost hockey in a small market, which also screwed another team. So I'm asking again is that Fedorovs fault?

Cause he must have known that it was an attempt to poison pill Detroit?

Carolina knew the chances of them making it to the conf finals was basically 0. Secondly they would never have generated the revenue from one playoff run to cover that enormous bonus. So they were obviously banking on not having to pay it. (actually now that I think about it I believe they were allowed to pay the bonus out over a few years instead of all at once which was the big difference-- Fedorov took home as much as the rest of the entire Red Wings team for the whole year while playing ~20 games and playoffs that year)

I think it is pretty clear why Fedorov no longer had an A after that even if Detroit did value him enough to swallow the poison and bring him back.

Rangers put up a 15 million dollar signing bonus in their offer sheet to Sakic.

And what were the chances of each team having to pay that big bonus in this case? 100% and 100% at the same timing, right?

If you don't see the difference between these two situations you're as biased as you accuse everyone else of being all the time.

Last edited:

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI

ie. Colorado had to pay substantially more to keep him than the Rangers would have?

Way to rephrase "deal was structured specifically to screw."

It was a contract that paid him $17 million in 1997-98 when the Avalanche were having serious financial problems. Forsberg renewed in February on a contract that paid less up-front and more in the back-end just to help out. The owners had to strike a deal with the city of Denver to build the Pepsi Center just to have the finances to match the Rangers' offer for Sakic. It was absolutely designed by New York to screw Colorado, and Sakic signed it anyway, knowing it wasn't just an over-payment but that it would take a miracle for Colorado to match. Had he missed time, he'd be in the same boat as Fedorov with someone else wearing the C.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Way to rephrase "deal was structured specifically to screw."

It was a contract that paid him $17 million in 1997-98 when the Avalanche were having serious financial problems. Forsberg renewed in February on a contract that paid less up-front and more in the back-end just to help out. The owners had to strike a deal with the city of Denver to build the Pepsi Center just to have the finances to match the Rangers' offer for Sakic. It was absolutely designed by New York to screw Colorado, and Sakic signed it anyway, knowing it wasn't just an over-payment but that it would take a miracle for Colorado to match. Had he missed time, he'd be in the same boat as Fedorov with someone else wearing the C.

Run around all you want but the deal was the same for both teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->