Why Did Scott Niedermayer Receive Selke Votes in Two Different Seasons?

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
If you're looking on hockey-reference.com, 2008 is definitely an error. Rob Niedermayer got the Selke votes in 2008 (8 votes total worth 30 points) - which is what they incorrectly attributed to his brother.

I can't speak to 2001 as I don't have the full results for that year. That seems less likely to be an input error (Rob played on the weak Panthers who regressed horribly from the year before and he had a poor plus/minus rating - not saying that these should necessarily matter, but in reality they seem to). That one may have been voter confusion (as Scott had a pretty good year, but it was before he was really famous, so a positional mix-up may have been possible).

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
If you're looking on hockey-reference.com, 2008 is definitely an error. Rob Niedermayer got the Selke votes in 2008 (8 votes total worth 30 points) - which is what they incorrectly attributed to his brother.

I can't speak to 2001 as I don't have the full results for that year. That seems less likely to be an input error (Rob played on the weak Panthers who regressed horribly from the year before and he had a poor plus/minus rating - not saying that these should necessarily matter, but in reality they seem to). That one may have been voter confusion (as Scott had a pretty good year, but it was before he was really famous, so a positional mix-up may have been possible).

I was referring to 2008 and 2010. Didn't even notice 2001. He actually received Selke votes in three seasons according to the site.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
We really sure it’s a Hockey-Ref issue and gonna bail out the voters here? HRef is pretty active on social media, I’d think people would have let them know of this error? Maybe they don’t care about fixing it or left it as an Easter egg kinda thing.

I mean the voters voted Leon Draisaitl to a higher all star team at Center that Ryan O Reilly this season. They’re dumb as f***.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I was referring to 2008 and 2010. Didn't even notice 2001. He actually received Selke votes in three seasons according to the site.

2010 was Rob as well - here's an external source: 2010 NHL Awards: The voting tallies

Hockey-reference.com is great as a free resource, but it's not error-free. I've sent them a few corrections and suggestions over the years, but all have been ignored.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
We really sure it’s a Hockey-Ref issue and gonna bail out the voters here? HRef is pretty active on social media, I’d think people would have let them know of this error? Maybe they don’t care about fixing it or left it as an Easter egg kinda thing.

I mean the voters voted Leon Draisaitl to a higher all star team at Center that Ryan O Reilly this season. They’re dumb as ****.

This. Most hockey media types (the ones who do the voting) are absolutely clueless about anything and any player outside their home market.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

I mean the voters voted Leon Draisaitl to a higher all star team at Center that Ryan O Reilly this season. They’re dumb as ****.

Hockey reference made numerous transcription errors that have never been fixed, at least with the Selke. One that comes up frequently - they erroneously credited Mike Ricci's Selke votes in 2004 to rookie Brad Richards.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Didn't HR even copy stuff from our own board here, including some mistakes?

I don't think that H-R has ever outright admitted that. But it looks highly likely.

I don't think there was any centralized database of voting records. Hfboards posters (mostly @BM67 ) painstakingly pulled listed voting totals from old newspaper articles and were able to reconstruct the large majority of the voting records. But occasionally there were missing votes.

At some point, someone (@overpass ?) was in email contact with H-R and told us that the people at H-R were aware of the awards voting records on hfboards.

Then not that long afterwards, the data appeared on hockey-reference.com with the exact same missing votes as on hfboards. The only differences seem to be a few transcription errors that H-R made in copying the data from hfboards. The only transcription errors of which I am aware are all in Selke voting (maybe the intern in charge of entering that data wasn't as good as the others?)

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Seems like it was a glitch. Still it'd be nice to get them fixed. Hockey Reference is a site I use fairly often so it's nice to get factual information there.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
They're gone!

Scott Niedermayer Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Im0CSBG.png

They now show up on Rob's page

Rob Niedermayer Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I don't think that H-R has ever outright admitted that. But it looks highly likely.

I don't think there was any centralized database of voting records. Hfboards posters (mostly @BM67 ) painstakingly pulled listed voting totals from old newspaper articles and were able to reconstruct the large majority of the voting records. But occasionally there were missing votes.

At some point, someone (@overpass ?) was in email contact with H-R and told us that the people at H-R were aware of the awards voting records on hfboards.

Then not that long afterwards, the data appeared on hockey-reference.com with the exact same missing votes as on hfboards. The only differences seem to be a few transcription errors that H-R made in copying the data from hfboards. The only transcription errors of which I am aware are all in Selke voting (maybe the intern in charge of entering that data wasn't as good as the others?)

I noticed that too. The quick timeframe of similar data appearing on HR was quite telling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad