Why did Quebec not get a team?

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Have you ever been to Green Bay?
I get your point, but Green Bay has one of the largest followings in the NFL and is a marquee franchise in the NFL with tons of success and history. Can Winnipeg claim to have a mass following outside the Winnipeg metro area? I'm very skeptical. Furthermore, Green Bay is less than two hours from Milwaukee. You're comparing apples and oranges.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Have you ever been to Green Bay?
Green Bay is truly unique (look at the population without an NFL team within driving distance), and i'm pretty sure any area outside of extremely rural parts of America could support an NFL team given you only need to sell 8 games a year, and the national tv deal covers player expences.

Reactions: kabidjan18

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I get your point, but Green Bay has one of the largest followings in the NFL and is a marquee franchise in the NFL with tons of success and history. Can Winnipeg claim to have a mass following outside the Winnipeg metro area? I'm very skeptical. Furthermore, Green Bay is less than two hours from Milwaukee. You're comparing apples and oranges.
Sorry do you think Milwaukee is perceived as a major market?

Edmonton? Calgary? Columbus? Raleigh? You think these are perceived as major markets?

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Green Bay is truly unique (look at the population without an NFL team within driving distance), and i'm pretty sure any area outside of extremely rural parts of America could support an NFL team given you only need to sell 8 games a year, and the national tv deal covers player expences.
Great. It isn't a major market.

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
Sorry do you think Milwaukee is perceived as a major market?

Edmonton? Calgary? Columbus? Raleigh? You think these are perceived as major markets?
Milwaukee has two big four sports teams and has a metropolitan population of 1.6 million people, which is in the top 40 in the U.S. Winnipeg's metro isn't even half that.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
No it wouldn't. Again, it's not about could or would, it's about what is the best option. A higher population produces higher revenue yields, so yes it is a good argument especially when that population is 5x higher than that of it's competitor. Not to mention that many of QC's residents are already NHL/Habs fans and are much older.
lots of QC residents are Habs fans ? news to me
the bruins are more popular QC because they are the habs nemesis.

if we are going based on sheer market size ( and by this I presume you mean population) and only market size I very much look forward to the mexico city sombreros. With one extant rink in a city of 8.5 million, the potential for growth is astronomical ! build another sheet, the infrastructure increases 100% as soon as its open. how's that for growth ?

to answer the op, quebec isnt getting a team because its a backstop whose only perceived role is a plan B to keep things going from bad to completely off the rails and because the videotron center isnt going anywhere.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Milwaukee has two big four sports teams and has a metropolitan population of 1.6 million people, which is in the top 40 in the U.S. Winnipeg's metro isn't even half that.
Nobody perceives Milwaukee as a major market.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Green Bay is bad example. Milwaukee is an hour away.

The name "Green Bay Packers" is akin to Uniondale Islanders, Sunrise Panthers, or Kanata Senators.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Green Bay is bad example. Milwaukee is an hour away.

The name "Green Bay Packers" is akin to Uniondale Islanders, Sunrise Panthers, or Kanata Senators.

Do you guys understand that nobody perceives it as a major market even if it is a viable market?

This is an idiotic conversation :laugh: I won't be participating any further

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Do you guys understand that nobody perceives it as a major market even if it is a viable market?

This is an idiotic conversation :laugh: I won't be participating any further
Not every city is going to be Hollywood when you have 32 teams. Milwaukee is irrefutably a professional sports market.

The same cannot be said of Winnipeg for any sport but hockey. And I fully support there being a team in Winnipeg and couldn't give a roasted shit what the perception of the league is.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Not to mention the Jim Balsille thing with Hamilton. The NHL doesnt like people who are loudmouths who dont follow their rules.

Yup, and I'm sure Quebec would have made some public statement by now if their NHL dream was really over as there wouldn't be a need to be silent anymore. The fact that they've said nothing since putting I their application and fee really makes me believe something is brewing in La Belle Province.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
So people in the US seriously think "The NHL? I'm not watching that because the city of Winnipeg ain't big league"?

As far as the OP goes... Quebec will get a team when the NHL is faced with the choice of...

A) Existing franchise folding
B) That same franchise moving to Quebec

Reactions: Cellee

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
I don't the casual viewer outside of Canada is going to watch Winnipeg in the SCF, no.
Not sure where the disconnect is here. Both of these takes can be true:

a) Winnipeg is a deserving and fantastic hockey market.
b) To your average sports fan, having a city like Winnipeg in the NHL takes away some of the league's prestige.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
I don't the casual viewer outside of Canada is going to watch Winnipeg in the SCF, no.

Of course not... For the most part people in the US aren't going to watch the SCF between two American teams either. I was responding to someone saying the leagues image as a whole is diminished because Winnipeg (or Calgary, or Edmonton, etc) isn't "major league"... Like Joe Sportsfan rejects the league outright because the Winnipeg Jets are a real life thing.

Reactions: Cellee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad