Why did Montreal have home-ice vs. Isles in '84?

chooch*

V-2 Schneider said:
What gets lost about that playoff run,is the Habs were one of the hottest teams in the NHL the last month of the season.They really,really began to gel as a team very late, and it helped to give a respite for what was shaping up as a brutal overall season.It was a treat to see Chelios bag his first goal against Boston, and the run had an air of a Cinderella story about it all.

That team is a good case study for how a hot team,playing sound team D, a steady G, and scoring on turnovers, can go far in a playoff run.There always seem to be one or two teams each season that show the same qualities that the 1984 Habs did.

The Isles paid a dear price for that playoff win, as did any team that beat the '80's version of the Habs.The Habs were a physical team that worked hard for 60mins every night, and if their skilled stars were silent, then the grinders came to the fore.Any team they faced ended up black and blue.

Yeah they were a different team once Lemaire took over from Berry.

Bucky's worried that someone will point out the obvious: that the Oiler's run of cups was entirely due to their easy ride in the playoffs.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
chooch said:
Yeah they were a different team once Lemaire took over from Berry.

Bucky's worried that someone will point out the obvious: that the Oiler's run of cups was entirely due to their easy ride in the playoffs.

No need to insult other posters, chooch. NYIsles1 is a good poster with whom one can share good natured ribbing. He doesn't have any intention of causing trouble, nor do I. :) If you have something to add, go ahead, otherwise why don't you just keep passing through.

chooch*

Bring Back Bucky said:
No need to insult other posters, chooch. NYIsles1 is a good poster with whom one can share good natured ribbing. He doesn't have any intention of causing trouble, nor do I. :) If you have something to add, go ahead, otherwise why don't you just keep passing through.

next time I fly out west, i'll stopover in New York for the night. :biglaugh:

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
V-2 Schneider said:
That team is a good case study for how a hot team,playing sound team D, a steady G, and scoring on turnovers, can go far in a playoff run.There always seem to be one or two teams each season that show the same qualities that the 1984 Habs did.

Would not shock me one bit if that team this year is none other than...the Montreal Canadiens.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Trottier said:
Would not shock me one bit if that team this year is none other than...the Montreal Canadiens.
There are some signs, more than the win streak, they are getting a bit abrasive and it's been a long time since that could be said.

sonnyisles

Apr 6, 2006
Psycho Papa Joe said:
Damn you! Thanks for reminding me. :madfire:

;)

IMO the turning point in that series was when Smith Stopped Naslund on a penalty shot. The Isles really took control at that point.

djavan

May 7, 2003
Visit site
sonnyisles said:
How about the hit that Trottier put on Gainey in that series.

yeah, that was something... though i like gainey... how about the penalty shot save by billy smith on mats natslund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->