Why did everyone pass on Steen in 2002?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerman

Mar 5, 2004
MY team took Boyd Gordon instead, and while he looks to be a promising hard worker type....I can't believe that we could have grabbed Steen that late in the draft? :banghead:

We would have come away with Eminger, Semin, and Steen :amazed:

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
beerman said:
MY team took Boyd Gordon instead, and while he looks to be a promising hard worker type....I can't believe that we could have grabbed Steen that late in the draft? :banghead:

Woulda shoulda coulda

Every team has these kind of regrets, that's the draft for ya ;)

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
beerman said:

:cry:

X-SHARKIE

I really have no clue.... It's not like he can't play defense...hell he's very solid defensivly ...and he's physical...IDK....Steens size probally...5-11 isn't big and in 2002 GM's seemed to get so upsessed in the fact that it wasnt a good draft and shot for the moon while great players like Slater and Steen along with Hudler dropped. Babchuk shouldn't have gone 13th overall....he fell as well.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
The simple answer is that other teams fancied other prospects moreso than Steen.

If I recall the book on 2002 was that the top 7 or so were fairly consensus but that the guys ranked 10-40 were fairly interchangeable. Likely meaning that every team's list was vastly different.

Change the draft order and Steen might have gone top 12.

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Gordon 1 goals 4 assist in the NHL and 5 goals and 17 assist in the AHL(oh wait make that 6 and 18 as he's 1+1 in game 1 of Portland's playoff series)..

Steen..umm he hasn't played pro hockey

Stop crying..not by any means saying Gordon will be a beter player than Steen but Gordon's no bust scrub pick..he's gonna be a hell of a player in due time. Besides w ehave enough pure offensive talent. I'd like some MORE offensive talent with hard nose defense like Gordon.

Volchenkov

Feb 1, 2003
elibenporat.blogspot.com
I_r_1337 said:
Gordon 1 goals 4 assist in the NHL and 5 goals and 17 assist in the AHL(oh wait make that 6 and 18 as he's 1+1 in game 1 of Portland's playoff series)..

Steen..umm he hasn't played pro hockey

Stop crying..not by any means saying Gordon will be a beter player than Steen but Gordon's no bust scrub pick..he's gonna be a hell of a player in due time. Besides w ehave enough pure offensive talent. I'd like some MORE offensive talent with hard nose defense like Gordon.

Steen has played pro hockey - just not in North America.

leafaholix*

Steen's developed a lot since the draft... so it's understandable.

leafaholix*

I_r_1337 said:
You know what I ment :confused:
The AHL isn't that much better then the Swedish Elite League, if at all.

Also consider that Steen's been playing at the highlest level in Sweden for the last 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad