Why did Chicago reclaim Bobby Hull in 1979 only for him to never play for them?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I was lucky enough to speak at great length with Gordie Howe about his time in the WHA and his subsequent return to the National Hockey League with the Whalers.

Out of respect to Mr. Howe, and the off-the-record nature of the conversation I won't get into detail about what he had to say other than he was very much one of the people I spoke with when I say "to a man" they felt the league was obviously inferior.

True enough... And as "sacrilegious" as it may be... Ive little time for Gordie "eff'n"Howe or his "opinions" about much.... I found him (and yes, I met the guy) arrogant, self absorbed, narcissistic. What he pulled on Ted Lindsay = Despicable. Sacred Cow My Ass. Brain Damaged Idiot. I watched him, CLOSELY, his career as a player. In real time.... Jerk off. Vastly overrated but no nothing idiots who havent ever competed in any sport at an appreciable level elevating him to God like status. Gimme a break. You want guts, loyalty?. The Rocket. Gordie Howe underwhelming, disappointing. Ditto on his Sons who I played against. Talk about revisionism, fraud, hyperbole...

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
True enough... And as "sacrilegious" as it may be... Ive little time for Gordie "eff'n"Howe or his "opinions" about much.... I found him (and yes, I met the guy) arrogant, self absorbed, narcissistic. What he pulled on Ted Lindsay = Despicable. Sacred Cow My Ass. Brain Damaged Idiot. I watched him, CLOSELY, his career as a player. In real time.... Jerk off. Vastly overrated but no nothing idiots who havent ever competed in any sport at an appreciable level elevating him to God like status. Gimme a break. You want guts, loyalty?. The Rocket. Gordie Howe underwhelming, disappointing. Ditto on his Sons who I played against. Talk about revisionism, fraud, hyperbole...

For anyone that knew Howe away from the spotlight and the media (and through my work, I got to see him and chat with him a few times in this regard) there really were two totally different versions.

The media Howe was very aww shucks, golly gee, family first, and I'm so lucky to be a part of this great game. The other version was in fact, as you have pointed out, a little more self-serving for sure, had a pretty inflated opinion of himself and his family and had a chip on his shoulder that he and his family didn't get enough respect and privately he had no problem ripping guys, diminishing guys, etc.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
For anyone that knew Howe away from the spotlight and the media (and through my work, I got to see him and chat with him a few times in this regard) there really were two totally different versions.

The media Howe was very aww shucks, golly gee, family first, and I'm so lucky to be a part of this great game. The other version was in fact, as you have pointed out, a little more self-serving for sure, had a pretty inflated opinion of himself and his family and had a chip on his shoulder that he and his family didn't get enough respect and privately he had no problem ripping guys, diminishing guys, etc.

Much truth there FR.... You saw it. Lived it. Experienced it. I remember as a kid being told Rocket Richard was an idol.... do you EVER recall being told that about Gordie Howe?... Never? Me neither in Ontario. I thought he was an overrated brain dead jerk. Hills Have Eyes Extra. Dueling BANJOS.... Savvy?... And Im not from Montreal, not from Quebec... Flood Plains of W. VA ... Uh?

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I was lucky enough to speak at great length with Gordie Howe about his time in the WHA and his subsequent return to the National Hockey League with the Whalers.

Out of respect to Mr. Howe, and the off-the-record nature of the conversation I won't get into detail about what he had to say other than he was very much one of the people I spoke with when I say "to a man" they felt the league was obviously inferior.

I cannot dispute what was said during your conversation with Gordie and I won't try to argue that the WHA was on equal footing with the NHL. However, I do believe the competitive difference between the two leagues was not as great as some make it out to be especially as the years went by up until the point when New England, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Quebec joined the NHL for the 1979-80 season.

During interleague exhibition games the WHA teams held their own against those of the NHL. I know the example has been given of Boston defeating New England 5-0 on October 1, 1977 but it should also be noted that New England defeated Pittsburgh 9-0 six days later. I attended several interleague games in Winnipeg and witnessed first hand how difficult it was for the visiting NHL teams to keep up with the speed of the Jets and the frustration caused because they did not play the basic north-south style of game that was commonly used by NHL teams.

We'll never truly know how good the teams from the WHA would have been had they been able to enter the NHL intact with their full rosters instead of only being allowed to protect 2 players and 2 goalies each. The ideal situation would have been a similar merger agreement like that between the NFL and AFL in 1966 whereby the leagues operated separately until 1970 when they became one. In the meantime the champions of each league would meet in the Super Bowl. The AFL teams did not have to lose any of their players which allowed for a proper comparison between the talent and competitiveness of all teams involved.

:jets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->