Why did Backstrom never reach the next level?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Also consider that the Capitals are a poor possession team. It's hard to draw a penalty in the postseason. It's even harder when you don't have the puck.

Wait..I thought we had the edge in possession vs the Rangers last year? How did they get nearly twice the PPs we did including 4 5on3s to 0 for us?

Backstrom and Ovie look more and more in 09-10 form. Love it.

Liberati0n*

not really. that's what vogel is for. he delivered the information to backstrom in the form of a joke and backstrom laughed. next thing you know, people will be posting that ovechkin is a bad captain.

Too bad Ovechkin usually responds to criticism by sulking.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Liberati0n*

Now I don't know if you are saying this tongue and cheek but based on your hatred for all things Caps I suspect you are ripping Ovechkin.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2013/03/06/alex-ovechkin-i-think-milbury-just-doesnt-like-russians/

I kinda remember Ovechkin going on an insane run that hasn't stopped to this day after this.

So you're in the "Milbury deserves credit for Ovechkin's resurgance" group? That's interesting.

Anyway, I said usually. He takes criticism and failure horribly.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
So you're in the "Milbury deserves credit for Ovechkin's resurgance" group? That's interesting.

Anyway, I said usually. He takes criticism and failure horribly.

No I'm not part of that crowd.

I just don't think Ovechkin sulks based on criticism.

I think you forgot to flush

Liberati0n*

It's possible that he's found a new way to cope that lets him respond more positively, perhaps through talking with Oates. Historically, he hasn't responded well.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
It's possible that he's found a new way to cope that lets him respond more positively, perhaps through talking with Oates. Historically, he hasn't responded well.

Historically, he's been one of the most consistent offensive producers in a couple decades.

I don't know where you're coming up with this stuff.

He responded poorly to the Olympic loss, but that's it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
ovechkin sulks? ovechkin's will to win was damaged
by the combined failures of the Olympics and
playoff loss the montreal. Is being broken hearted
sulking?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No bash on my favorite Cap, but what would you call the 2 years after the Olympics loss/Montreal debacle? Sulking or mentally destroyed would be my two options...probably both.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Agreed, more like failure and heartbreaking defeat....]

I've heard guys like Kobe, Jordan, Bird talk about the highs and lows of being a pro athlete. The best ones seemed to think you can't go too extreme either way. Instead of letting a crushing loss or two break you down, the great turn that into more motivation.

Zorak

Dec 19, 2007
He's simply too soft for the playoffs. He's absolutely an elite player in the regular season, and Caps can win another President's Trophy with Backstrom as a 1st line center, but they will never win a cup with Backstrom as one of the leaders. You need guys like Toews, like Richards - sandpaper and grit.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
He's simply too soft for the playoffs. He's absolutely an elite player in the regular season, and Caps can win another President's Trophy with Backstrom as a 1st line center, but they will never win a cup with Backstrom as one of the leaders. You need guys like Toews, like Richards - sandpaper and grit.

This is patently ridiculous.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012

One of the most idiotic posts I've seen on this board.

Backstrom isn't soft. Stop with the Swedish = soft stereotype. It's making you look like a moron.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Agreed, more like failure and heartbreaking defeat....]

I've heard guys like Kobe, Jordan, Bird talk about the highs and lows of being a pro athlete. The best ones seemed to think you can't go too extreme either way. Instead of letting a crushing loss or two break you down, the great turn that into more motivation.

Forgot to flush! haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->