Why can't Toronto draw penalties?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm a Habs fan - but I've watched most of the leaf games this year. I don't think there's some league conspiracy against the leafs, but I do think that after the first 4 or 5 games of PP dominance by the leafs refs were letting that affect their calls.

Not all of them and not all the time obviously but a borderline call that might go your way I think is less likely to if it's a close game and you have a 50%PP.

2 cents worth
Agreed and I think it was noticeably last year as well.

Tougher to make a call when you're expecting the team to score on the PP.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
There is an art to getting away with penalties, the Leafs in general are terrible at it. They are also terrible at campaigning to the refs to point out what other teams are getting away with which is the bigger issue. Leafs are too focused on trying to play within the rules instead of treating it for what it is, an extremely subjective rule book.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I don't see this being a problem with Leafs playing Canadian teams, but Gary is American. Therein lies the problem IMHO.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Before this thread was created, I noticed that the Leafs weren’t getting calls. My opinion was the same as others who posted; refs don’t want to give our pp too many opportunities to take over the game.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He is doing it this year too.
He needs to handle his stress better.
I think it is hurting the team.

You think Babcock is the only Coach to go off on the refs?

Every single coach in the NHL has gone off on the refs this year, everyone.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I'm with the idea that knowing we're likely to score on the PP, refs are a little more cautious in giving us the opportunity.

Unfortunately in all sports, refs often end up trying to manage the contest rather than just referee the players.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think there's a huge conspiracy or anything but the last few games have been awful in the calls. Blatant missed calls.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Gud pro's play the game with integrity.

Look at the players we have is there a single one that you could call a diver? Kadri at one time maybe but since he got nailed for diving he's virtually a kitten. Meow?

Johnsson has that rat like quality in his DNA but I think he is afraid to take an embellishment penalty and get put in Babcock's doghouse, so he is playing it by the rules. Choir boy?

TBH this team is so vanilla boring it's not surprising that we play the game in a boring with in the rules fashion.

It's been said in this thread before that we don't work hard enough to draw penalties and there is some truth to that.

Maybe the hyper sports media coverage on the Leafs has a spotlight on everything that happens in those games so the refs don't call as much.

Probably a lot of little things that drive the disparity.

eddie_guerrero

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Reading the game threads of other teams, fans are all always complaining about the refs, especially when their team loses. Not just in hockey, but football, soccer, basketball, and every other sports except baseball, where they blame the umps instead.

I don't think anyone has ever said "wow, the refs are really winning us the game tonight, ignoring all our fouls and calling even imaginary ones on the other team!"

According to the fans from other teams, refs are all biased in favour of the Leafs.

Most of it is just perception: bias is in the eye of the beholder.

Leafs play soft. When you don't fight your way through a check, and make passes long before the opposing player is close, you don't give them the opportunity to foul you.

And, yes, refs miss calls - they are only (sub)human after all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad