Why can't Toronto draw penalties?

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Because we're not a team that creates any emotion. We dont annoy any team in taking penalties. We dont engage in any back and forth. We dont initiate contact (which other teams may respond too and take retaliatory penalties).

Everyone knows the the leafs team will just try to beat you with dangles and skill, so other teams are better prepared for it
This doesn't explain why more blatant penalties go uncalled against the Leafs than any other team. I really wish someone with some editing finesse would make a nice long compilation, because there is PLENTY of source material.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Leafs use to draw penalties. Teams are trying to be disciplined facing the leafs because of there scary good power play that is loaded with the teams best players. There is a high percentage they will score on the power play so teams are trying to be more conscious. That's my theory anyway.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Toronto Maple Leafs 2017-2018799 Leafs PIMS822 Leafs Opponent PIMS-23.0 Differential
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Considering the Leafs have Matthews, Mitch, Marleau, who never take penalties this differential is doesnt look right. Refs definitely screwing the Leafs.

Reactions: ECanuck and Al14

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
you want to see insane unbalance when it comes to pims

look at the numbers in the Boston PO series last year

the imbalance in heinous

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Seen some Kadri and Tavares draws this season. Early on especially. They still doing thangs and moving thangs. Real hard. Y'all better recognize and see to it. They doin it. Bigg tyme. We still drawing boards on suckas. See to it.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
It would be interesting to see someone who isn’t as lazy as me graph out for the Leafs:

GF vs PP ranking vs pens drawn vs pens taken

Might be interesting to see if there is any trend/correlation in more/better GF/PP ranking leads to less pen drawn. Also interesting to see if generally the pens taken remain roughly static. Could be teams are intentionally trying to be more disciplined vs the Leafs.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Leafs use to draw penalties. Teams are trying to be disciplined facing the leafs because of there scary good power play that is loaded with the teams best players. There is a high percentage they will score on the power play so teams are trying to be more conscious. That's my theory anyway.

Think it's more a case of the team not really moving their foot or using their speed.

If teams are playing "safer" against us, then you'd expect to see more space out there. That's not the case

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
It's always been this way.
We only get calls when our team is total garbage.
Anywhere from a bubble team to a playoff contender we will not get calls.
When Ron Wilson was coach his solution to bad calls was to play softer and do nothing. I remember Phaneuf getting a punch to the face and a face wash and he retaliated and got a penalty. A few games later Phaneuf got a face wash and skated away. That game we had no penalties but boy were we a super soft team

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I swear that a high percentage of today's Refs hated the Leafs growing up and wanted to become Refs so they could personally screw them, and screw them but good!

A low percentage of Refs were Leaf fans growing up, so, they have to over compensate and call more penalties against us to prove they are not favoring our Leafs!

I also sometimes wonder if our Leafs are still being punished for the days when Pat Quinn would tear strips off the Refs during games! R.I.P. Pat!

We are royally screwed no matter what!

Edit: I should have added this :laugh:, so people didn't take the above so serious!

Last edited:

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
How you get penalties is skating with the puck. I swear our time with the puck is usually less than 50%. Most of the time we are not skating with the puck through their zone or neutral. Its chip and chase which doesn't draw many penalties. Kadri is really good with handling the puck and is why he gets a lot of penalities drawn.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Because we're not a team that creates any emotion. We dont annoy any team in taking penalties. We dont engage in any back and forth. We dont initiate contact (which other teams may respond too and take retaliatory penalties).

Everyone knows the the leafs team will just try to beat you with dangles and skill, so other teams are better prepared for it

The Leafs are highly skilled but are soft as butter. The ultimate "run and gun" offensive team that can't grind it out.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I swear that a high percentage of today's Refs hated the Leafs growing up and wanted to become Refs so they could personally screw them, and screw them but good!

A low percentage of Refs were Leaf fans growing up, so, they have to over compensate and call more penalties against us to prove they are not favoring our Leafs!

I also sometimes wonder if our Leafs are still being punished for the days when Pat Quinn would tear strips off the Refs during games! R.I.P. Pat!

We are royally screwed no matter what!

yah. no.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I'm a Habs fan - but I've watched most of the leaf games this year. I don't think there's some league conspiracy against the leafs, but I do think that after the first 4 or 5 games of PP dominance by the leafs refs were letting that affect their calls.

Not all of them and not all the time obviously but a borderline call that might go your way I think is less likely to if it's a close game and you have a 50%PP.

2 cents worth

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
I'm a Habs fan - but I've watched most of the leaf games this year. I don't think there's some league conspiracy against the leafs, but I do think that after the first 4 or 5 games of PP dominance by the leafs refs were letting that affect their calls.

Not all of them and not all the time obviously but a borderline call that might go your way I think is less likely to if it's a close game and you have a 50%PP.

2 cents worth
Referees. The real heroes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad