Why can't Toronto draw penalties?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
It's nice that the leafs have an elite PP unit. Doesn't matter when you are at the bottom of the league in penalties drawn.

No Toronto Maple Leaf in the list of top penalties drawers. Not one. Kadri used to be amazing at this, but now his reputation makes refs turn the other way whenever he gets tripped up or hooked or held.

Marner and Nylander are tremendously sneaky puck carriers. Usually guys like that draw a ton of penalties. Just look at Gaudreau. Neither of these guys can get a call.

Matthews wins every puck battle, he should be getting hooked tons of times by guys he beats. I'm sure he is. No calls though. Same with Tavares.

Hyman gets crunched a dozen times per shift and gets in tons of puck battles. No hooks or other obstruction calls there.

I wonder why?

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
FtrmUyVY_400x400.jpg

Reactions: Atrusai

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Dont it take personally. NHL officiating is bush league.

16-17 to now, the leafs are 3rd last in penalties drawn.

I'm not disputing the opinion that refs are garbage, but even then these numbers should even out.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I have some concerns it is Babcock. He seems to go overboard complaining to the refs. You don't get borderline calls when the refs hate you and your team.

Atrusai

Oct 9, 2017
Trade for Marchand and have him lick a bunch of dudes, then we'll be rolling in power plays... and penalty kills.

Reactions: Bluelines

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Ever since Babcock ran his mouth last year, we haven't gotten any calls.

We were the lowest in the league last year.

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
16-17 to now, the leafs are 3rd last in penalties drawn.

I'm not disputing the opinion that refs are garbage, but even then these numbers should even out.

Hearing Babcock going off on them the other net may have something to do with it. Lets be honest here, if they took out clutching and grabbing, and didnt put the whistles away in the playoffs, we would be contenders. only sports league in the planet that runs that way.

Reactions: Zrinski

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

He is doing it this year too.
He needs to handle his stress better.
I think it is hurting the team.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

IIRC we were last before he even said anything last year. And we'll probably be last again this year. It's fishy that a top 5 team can't get calls.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
The Leafs have ALWAYS had an issue with lack of PP opportunities, and frequently being sent to the penalty box. It goes all the way back to when Tucker, Domi and Corson played for them and they were considered "dirty". And probably even earlier than that.
Even when the team was absolutely terrible, they STILL tended to be shorthanded way more than on the PP.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
We don’t make people mad. Or stick up for each other.

So, no need to send anyone to the box.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I remember crappy teams like Ottawa, Arizona, and Carolina last year being at the top for PPs like 2/3 of the way through the season and us at the bottom. I really don't understand it, seems like this year won't be any different

The weird thing is all those teams are struggling financially. Pretty sure there was another team in the top 6 or so in the same boat.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Pretty sure the opposing coaches warns his players not to take dumb penalties against us, Im sure Babs tells the Leaf players the same thing when playing the Pens,Caps, Bruins and other good PP teams.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Because we're not a team that creates any emotion. We dont annoy any team in taking penalties. We dont engage in any back and forth. We dont initiate contact (which other teams may respond too and take retaliatory penalties).

Everyone knows the the leafs team will just try to beat you with dangles and skill, so other teams are better prepared for it

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I remember crappy teams like Ottawa, Arizona, and Carolina last year being at the top for PPs like 2/3 of the way through the season and us at the bottom. I really don't understand it, seems like this year won't be any different

The weird thing is all those teams are struggling financially. Pretty sure there was another team in the top 6 or so in the same boat.

Expansion markets. Business Model. Fickle Americans. Nashville plays super rough and draws alot of penalties.

Those sunbelt teams will ditch the hockey if their fave team is given a penalty and leads to a loss.
USA teams generally have some outside interest swaying.
All sports have some of it in some way or another.

Boston gm 5.... 7 back to back penalties for us. We were given one make up call and it was probably Marchand poke checking someones face.

Ref had to call it you see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad