Why can't they still have the draft in Ottawa as planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Does anyone know why that if this gets done, they want to have the draft in a New York ballroom and not the Corel Centre? Is every weekend during the summer booked for the Corel Centre? I didn't know Ottawa was the place to be if this is the case...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
go kim johnsson said:
Does anyone know why that if this gets done, they want to have the draft in a New York ballroom and not the Corel Centre? Is every weekend during the summer booked for the Corel Centre? I didn't know Ottawa was the place to be if this is the case...

it's not

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
go kim johnsson said:

It's more then simply "booking" the Corel Centre. You have to take into account hotels, travel arrangements, players/families...etc.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Logistics

It's not just the availability of the Corel Center. It's also the many hotel rooms and travel bookings required. People are coming from across the globe for a normal draft, so it takes alot of planning and preparation. I suppose they could have some modified version later in the summer though. Some will rememebr that the 1979 draft took place in August, so it's not mandatory it take place in June.

I understand though that a draft via conference call won't seem the same.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
what I heard...... fwiw.........is that when it does happen. The top first and probably second rounders will be in NY. Exact location I don't know.
That most of the draft will be done via conference call .

we'll see I guess.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Chili said:
It's not just the availability of the Corel Center. It's also the many hotel rooms and travel bookings required. People are coming from across the globe for a normal draft, so it takes alot of planning and preparation. I suppose they could have some modified version later in the summer though. Some will rememebr that the 1979 draft took place in August, so it's not mandatory it take place in June.

I understand though that a draft via conference call won't seem the same.

They're going to do it from a conference call too?

:shakehead

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
theyll find a way to try and "showcase" crosby being drafted...otherwise Bettman will be responsible for ruining another thing and the rest will be on conf call prolly.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
nyrmessier011 said:
theyll find a way to try and "showcase" crosby being drafted...otherwise Bettman will be responsible for ruining another thing and the rest will be on conf call prolly.

All they have to do is fly in the families of the top 20, 30, 40 picks in the draft.

Also, it's not like this draft is chump change after Crosby. This is supposed to be a pretty good draft.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
go kim johnsson said:
All they have to do is fly in the families of the top 20, 30, 40 picks in the draft.

Also, it's not like this draft is chump change after Crosby. This is supposed to be a pretty good draft.

Go with top 10 or 15, max.

If you start flying in 30 and 40 kids, you run the risk of guys dropping into the third and fourth rounds.. too much embarrassment if this group is supposed to be the league-chosen 'elite' crop (see Rashard Lewis for an extreme example of potential reactions to being left too long in the green room).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
sveiglar said:
(see Rashard Lewis for an extreme example of potential reactions to being left too long in the green room).

discuss.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
go kim johnsson said:

Well, how many guys do the NBA have in the green room? Not sure, but I didn't think it was more than a dozen. Lewis was there and didn't get picked until early in the second round (32nd overall). Anyway, he was the last one in there by a longshot and was bawling like a baby towards the end.

edited for draft facts

littleD

go kim johnsson said:

He put on his best fly suit, got a haircut, and practiced that look of surprise for when D. Stern called, “With the 14th pick in the NBA Draft, the Houston Rockets select, Rah-shahd Lewis.†He rehearsed a smooth, confident stroll across the stage, getting the new hat and remembering to give the bill some curve while adjusting the size. And he imagined the fake soul-brother hug with Stern, in the face of more flashbulbs than he’d ever seen.

The only problem was that no one reminded the Rockets, who selected Michael Dickerson and then Bryce Drew. When the 18th pick arrived, Rashard sat up a little straighter, only to get jacked when the Rockets tabbed Mirsad Turkcan. The entire first round came and went, leaving Rashard sitting alone in the Green Room—ironic, since he knew he’d be seeing less and less green with each pick that went by. “It was probably the worst feeling in my life,†he remembers, “especially slipping into the second round.†Then, with the third pick in the second round, the Sonics snagged Rashard Lewis.

http://www.slamonline.com/magazine/features/Rashard58/

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
littleD said:

Great find on the article.

It's one thing for marginal prospects to show up with their families and then cry in the stands when they aren't ever selected. It's another thing to be a flown-in projected top-pick guy and go through it. That's one reason you see more and more top NFL guys stay home. Keep the green room to a small number, if they go that way.

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Aaron Rodgers went through the same thing. He was a projected top 5 pick in the 2005 NFL draft and didn't get selected till the early 20's to Green Bay. I think he was all alone in the green room for several hours.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
NJDevils#4 said:
Aaron Rodgers went through the same thing. He was a projected top 5 pick in the 2005 NFL draft and didn't get selected till the early 20's to Green Bay. I think he was all alone in the green room for several hours.

Yeah, I was going to mention him, but he certainly put a better face on it that Lewis did. Still, you know it's tough on a kid to go through that.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
nyrmessier011 said:

haha, bettman to blame. gold, jerry, gold! :biglaugh:

they'll do what they can, but if they can't have an all-out draft...it won't be for lack of effort..it'll be for lack of facilities...hotel rooms, restaurants...etcetera.

tmangos

Jul 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Here's an idea that might be good p.r. for the league.
First of all, if done via conference call, then team reps don't really have to be in NY at the time. Sure, they might have some token employee there to welcome the new draftees to make them feel wanted & such, but the big bigshots will be too busy on the phonelines.
So ... why not have each team run a contest where some lucky fan could represent the team? e.g. they could hold a draw of all the season ticket holders, or choose one of the longest serving or loyal ticket holders, or something else quick.
That fan could be the team rep, could be up on stage with the draftee, hand him the shirt & cap, and smile for a few pictures with him. I'd think it would be pretty cool to be able to do that! Maybe the league - and the PA - could turn it into a "goodwill" weekend with a few star players attending.
It would be a "feel good" story for the league, maybe even make some headlines or the evening news in the places where these fans are from.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Sorry if this has been posted already, but most of the hotels required commitments back in May. Since that wasnt possible at that time, all reservations were cancelled. Therefore, I guess it could be still held in Ottawa if hotels could accomodate it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
NY is a better place to relaunch the NHL than Ottawa. The NHL is going to need all the hype and media coverage it can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad