Why can't Goodenow just understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
S.S. Giggy said:
Salary Cap = lower ticket prices = more fans = more revenues = more money for the players. Everyone wins! Why can't greedy Bob accept that?

You honestly beleive the owners are going to lower ticket prices?

Sadly, you are mistaken. If anything they will raise ticket prices to make up for the loss of games, and then keep them there.

You want more revenues? Add more games. Would you like a 90 game schedule?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
You honestly beleive the owners are going to lower ticket prices?
Sadly, you are mistaken. If anything they will raise ticket prices to make up for the loss of games, and then keep them there.

Both of you are mistaken.

Owners will always maximize their revenues, regardless of the situation. If the max revenue comes with average ticket price being at 50$, it's gonna be at 50$ when the CBA ends.

CBA is all about costs, the revenue will stay as it is while the costs will be brought down (assuming there won't be any revenue sharing).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pepper said:
Owners will always maximize their revenues, regardless of the situation. If the max revenue comes with average ticket price being at 50$, it's gonna be at 50$ when the CBA ends.

And obviously there are 20 NHL teams who did not make any money last season, they're all going to raise prices because of the money they're not making right now. And they can come out to the fans with a perfect excuse.

And some people will be stupid enough and say "oh, ok, we'll accept this ticket hike."

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
S.S. Giggy said:
Salary Cap = lower ticket prices = more fans = more revenues = more money for the players. Everyone wins! Why can't greedy Bob accept that?

First off, the proposal's the league have given do not indicate a flexibe cap year to year, like the NFL. From what I've seen, they want it at $31 million forever, so salaries could not increase.

Second, the idea the owners would lower ticket prices because of a cap is laughable. Here's some NFL ticket info you, since all the cap lovers love to pretend the NHL is the NFL:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nfltickets&prov=ap&type=lgns

Thirdly, I don't see how a cap means more fans. Is some guy in Miami going to go to a game because the .500 Panthers are going to play the .500 Flames? No way. The league's attendance problems don't have anything to do with any preceived competitive inbalance.

Instead of looking at the NFL's cap, why not look at the AFL's cap? How much has thier cap increased the popularity of Arena Football? How many financially stable teams do they have?

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Pepper said:
Both of you are mistaken.

CBA is all about costs, the revenue will stay as it is while the costs will be brought down (assuming there won't be any revenue sharing).
You're very right, and with most arenas having attendance at 80-100%, we can conclude that ticket prices won't decrease significantly if at all. However with this long lockout and the possible loss of a good number of fans, if the arenas become half empty, I'm telling you that pretty graph for max revenues is going to point to 80% attendance and prices reduced by 30-50%

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Maybe the owners won't cut ticket prices... but until then we can't speculate on what they are going to do...

also.. take a look at the gate revenue thread... there are two interesting teams i saw on there... chicago and the islanders both have very high ticket prices (well avg ticket prices) yet their avg attendance is 13000...... why would owners charge such high ticket prices if noone is going to the game?!?! there is something else driving up ticket prices

also, a salary cap does not mean every team will be equal... does the NFL have every team hovering around .500? no... and id rather have close games every night than consistent blowouts by teams located in larger markets

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
chriss_co said:
Maybe the owners won't cut ticket prices... but until then we can't speculate on what they are going to do...

also.. take a look at the gate revenue thread... there are two interesting teams i saw on there... chicago and the islanders both have very high ticket prices (well avg ticket prices) yet their avg attendance is 13000...... why would owners charge such high ticket prices if noone is going to the game?!?! there is something else driving up ticket prices

also, a salary cap does not mean every team will be equal... does the NFL have every team hovering around .500? no... and id rather have close games every night than consistent blowouts by teams located in larger markets

Just FYI, in the 10 years before the cap was put into football, teams finished 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7 33% of the time, about what you'd expect. In the ten years since the cap, that number is 39%.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
chriss_co said:
and id rather have close games every night than consistent blowouts by teams located in larger markets

well, this lock out has nothing to do with competitive balance. the league is close as it is, more than half the league has reached the final 4 in the last 10 years.

dr

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
DementedReality said:
well, this lock out has nothing to do with competitive balance. the league is close as it is, more than half the league has reached the final 4 in the last 10 years.

That's a lovely sounding stat, but it's completely worthless. "Final 4" sounds so important, yet it only means you've won two playoff rounds. *Halfway* to the Cup. Getting halfway to the Cup once in 10 years is "competitive"? Hardly.

The actual number of final four appearances:
Col 6 (two Cups)
Det 5 (three Cups)
NJD 4 (three Cups)
Phi 4
Dal 3 (one Cup)

Buf 2
Pit 2
Tor 2

Ana 1
Cgy 1
Car 1
Chi 1
Fla 1
Min 1
NYR 1
Ott 1
Stl 1
SJS 1
Tam 1 (one Cup)
Wsh 1

Atl 0
Bos 0
CBJ 0
Edm 0
LAK 0
Mtl 0
Nsh 0
NYI 0
Phx 0
Van 0

I defy anyone to look at that list and say this league is "balanced" and has parity the last 10 years. That's a league *dominated* by five teams, with a couple also rans.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
PecaFan said:
That's a lovely sounding stat, but it's completely worthless. "Final 4" sounds so important, yet it only means you've won two playoff rounds. *Halfway* to the Cup. Getting halfway to the Cup once in 10 years is "competitive"? Hardly.

The actual number of final four appearances:
Col 6 (two Cups)
Det 5 (three Cups)
NJD 4 (three Cups)
Phi 4
Dal 3 (one Cup)

Buf 2
Pit 2
Tor 2

Ana 1
Cgy 1
Car 1
Chi 1
Fla 1
Min 1
NYR 1
Ott 1
Stl 1
SJS 1
Tam 1 (one Cup)
Wsh 1

Atl 0
Bos 0
CBJ 0
Edm 0
LAK 0
Mtl 0
Nsh 0
NYI 0
Phx 0
Van 0

I defy anyone to look at that list and say this league is "balanced" and has parity the last 10 years. That's a league *dominated* by five teams, with a couple also rans.

DET, COL, NJD, DAL, CGY, BUF, WSH, ANA, TPY, FLA, CAR, VAN, and NYR have all made the finals since 1994. Thats almost half the league.

Too me, if you combine these two lists, it means every team has a chance. Well DOH of course some teams have more chances, would you prefer a league where in 15 years, each team makes the finals once ?

The league is fair.

DR

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Before the current CBA, the league was periodically dominated by Montreal, Philly, Isles, Oilers. You get the picture, the domination has nothing to do with the salary. Under current CBA, most of the teams you mentioned had their payrolls baloon *after* they have won their Cups, simply because the players have shown their worth, and the teams had the money to pay them accordingly.

It all comes down to good management. New Jersey was successful on a budget for a long time, and piling up the payroll did not help the Rangers or the Blues one iota.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
DementedReality said:
DET, COL, NJD, DAL, CGY, BUF, WSH, ANA, TPY, FLA, CAR, VAN, and NYR have all made the finals since 1994. Thats almost half the league.

Too me, if you combine these two lists, it means every team has a chance. Well DOH of course some teams have more chances, would you prefer a league where in 15 years, each team makes the finals once ?

Van and NYR were in the last CBA, and outside the 10 year range you set. So now you've got 11 teams out of 30, just over 30%, nowhere near the "half the league" you're trying to paint. Just keep going back and back, you can probably get that number up to 90%.

And note that 5 teams are in the "1" final four appearance list, in 10 years making the finals once in a Cinderella run. Basically, for 75% of the league, the best they can hope for is a single run to the final four every 10 years.

And that's with almost zero chance of actually winning the thing.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
go kim johnsson said:
And obviously there are 20 NHL teams who did not make any money last season, they're all going to raise prices because of the money they're not making right now. And they can come out to the fans with a perfect excuse.

And some people will be stupid enough and say "oh, ok, we'll accept this ticket hike."

(http://www.teammarketing.com/)

NEW YORK RANGERS 00-01 $65.82 -> 03-04 $44.58
DALLAS 00-01 $56.43 -> 03-04 $38.34

They may go up, they may go down, they may not. Teams have shown a desire in the past to lower prices.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
DementedReality said:

The league is fair.

DR

"Fair" would involve winning it more than 1 or 2 times in 10 times for below average salary teams. "Have a chance" should mean more than "have a chance to come 2nd and disappear".

Brent Burns Beard