Why Canada and Sweden will meet in a final

Status
Not open for further replies.

SChan*

Canada, the superpower in hockey will look to retake the world cup trophy from the US squad this fall. Canada and Sweden will win their groups and posssibly square of in a final.

So why Sweden you say? For starters, many believe that this is the last shot Sweden have to reign World cup supremery.

2nd: Forsberg and Naslund unites for the first time since WJC where they teared up the competition and Forsberg broke the all-time scoring record with 31 points in 7 games.

Either Forsberg or Naslund has always been absent when they had a chance to play with eachother.

In 1994 olympics, Naslund wasn't there. In 1996 world cup, Naslund wasn't there. In 1998 olympics Naslund wasn't there. in 2002 salt lake, Forsberg wasn't there.

The only time they have reunited was in 2003 allstar game where
Bertuzzi - Forsberg - Naslund (new modo line?) teared up the competition.

Look for Forsberg and Naslund to take the final chance of playing together.

3rd: The Swedish PP lineup is extraordinary. They could field:

Naslund- Forsberg-Alfredsson with Sundin and Lidstrom as the defenders. It's 3 NHL captains,1 lester p winner, 2 calder winners, 1 hart trophy winner, 1 art ross winner, 1 Conn Smythe winner and 3 times Norris winner in 1 line. OMG! :eek:

4th: We are hungry! Forsberg just had a succesful surgery and he said all eyes are on world cup. The Swedes want revenge for Belarus disasater.

Go Sweden, I breathe hockey, and I love Hockey. I am very proud of my hockey country. Take the last chance of glory, take it! :)

Good luck to the other teams as well. Canada is the clear favorite.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Sweden looks good, but so do the Slovaks, Czechs, and Fins.
It could really be any team's championship. But Canada looks real good on paper..

St Louis, Richards, Iginla, Gagné, Heatley, Marleau, Doan (Now that is a quick and skilled offensive threat)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If a reunited Forsberg and Naslund, not to mention a good PP can make-up for Tommy Salo and an average defense, than Sweden might very be in the finals.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Canada should be the favorite, easily. Every other team has at least one major question mark. On paper, there's Canada, then there's everyone else.

That said, this could be anyone's tournament. All depends on what happens on the ice.

SChan*

The world cup should be really fun. I still remember 8 years ago when I sat up all night when Sweden and Canada played their semifinal. Canada won in double ot :(

I cannot wait until the tournament starts.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Hockey is a team sport. The best team will win. Canada and Sweden may have the best players, but not neccessarily the best team.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
In your opinion. Christian Backman and Dick Tarnstrom? Err.................

why do you list Bäckman who will not see any ice-time at all and then the 6th defenseman on the team?

Nicklas Lidström
Mattias Öhlund
Mattias Norström
Kim Johnsson
Marcus Ragnarsson
Dick Tärnström

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Predatore said:
why do you list Bäckman who will not see any ice-time at all and then the 6th defenseman on the team?

Nicklas Lidström
Mattias Öhlund
Mattias Norström
Kim Johnsson
Marcus Ragnarsson
Dick Tärnström

You're right, that was cheap of me. Sweden's top three defensemen are very good, with Lidstrom being one of the top three defensemen in the world. I'm not a fan of Johnsson, who is a good puck mover, but not an elite player IMO. Ragnarsson is a good number four guy, and Tarnstrom, well, he's the Swedish Tom Poti. Don't get me wrong, a competant group. but at the very best equal to what the U.S. will throw out there.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Predatore said:

Nicklas Lidström
Mattias Öhlund
Mattias Norström
Kim Johnsson
Marcus Ragnarsson
Dick Tärnström
that's definitely superior to the USA defense imo. i wouldve loved to have seen a canada-sweden semifinal at the olympics two years ago. i still can't believe the whipping sweden gave them the opening game of the olympics.

so are they going to use the "torpedo" again, or scrap that because two line passes aren't allowed?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:
You're right, that was cheap of me. Sweden's top three defensemen are very good, with Lidstrom being one of the top three defensemen in the world. I'm not a fan of Johnsson, who is a good puck mover, but not an elite player IMO. Ragnarsson is a good number four guy, and Tarnstrom, well, he's the Swedish Tom Poti. Don't get me wrong, a competant group. but at the very best equal to what the U.S. will throw out there.
The main problem i have with the USA defense is that they are OLD. Derian Hatcher can barely skate, and Leetch isn't the player he used to be. Sweden's defense is still in its prime.

Bloody Sabbath

Feb 29, 2004
Toronto, Canada
team canada has the best team on paper.
key word "on paper"
according to paper, the calgary flames should have been eliminated in the first round.
canada made dumb decisions in leaving off primeau and lecavalier. could that hurt them?
sweden's forwards, imo, are right up there with canada's, and barring injury could be deadly. the defence is rock solid and the obvious question mark is in goal. as a leaf fan, i'd like to see telqvist get some action in there.
i want sweden to make it to the finals mainly because i want to see sundin do well, but that aside, i honestly think they will be tough to beat.
then of course i hope for canada to whoop them in the finals :D

leafaholix*

Dark Metamorphosis said:
The main problem i have with the USA defense is that they are OLD. Derian Hatcher can barely skate, and Leetch isn't the player he used to be. Sweden's defense is still in its prime.
He's not the player he was 10 years ago, but Brian Leetch is still a top 10 defenseman in the NHL. He's one of the elite powerplay defensemen and a possibly the best puck rushing defenseman left.

He's easily a defenseman you can build a winning team around.

leafaholix*

ZeroTheHero said:
Not to mention that he has improved his defensive timing in his old years :)
I was never a fan of his prior to his arrival, but he's one hell of an offensive player and is a pretty good defensive defenseman. Not big and strong, but he does his best rubbing out players, good positional defenseman... mostly due to his speed.

Bloody Sabbath

Feb 29, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Dark Metamorphosis said:
while watching leetch very closely playing with the leafs this season, i have to say he is the least of team USA's worries. He's a brilliant skater, a terrific passer, extremely smart hockey player, and solid in his own end. you are right that he isn't who he used to be, but he's still great. no questions asked.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Leafaholix said:
He's not the player he was 10 years ago, but Brian Leetch is still a top 10 defenseman in the NHL. He's one of the elite powerplay defensemen and a possibly the best puck rushing defenseman left.

He's easily a defenseman you can build a winning team around.
true, leetch is definitely someone i would want on the team, but my point wasnt really so much about leetch as it was about the overall age on the team. maybe i shouldve used chelios as an example instead of leetch.

i think USA has some great young talent coming up, but there is big generation gap. where are all the 23-28 aged stars? i'm guessing the '94-99 drafts weren't very good for the americans. canada has got guys like richards, st. louis, iginla, but i'm not seeing any USA counterparts to those kinds of players.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Predatore said:

Nicklas Lidström
Mattias Öhlund
Mattias Norström
Kim Johnsson
Marcus Ragnarsson
Dick Tärnström

I'd agreed that it's the 2bd best defense in the tournament, and IMO the gap between 1 (Canada) and 2 (Sweden) and closer than the gap between 2 (Sweden) and 3 (USA).

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Predatore said:

Nicklas Lidström
Mattias Öhlund
Mattias Norström
Kim Johnsson
Marcus Ragnarsson
Dick Tärnström

Not a bad group, but the USA defense will be fine. Schneider outplayed Lidstrom this year, Leetch is Leetch, and so on. I prefer the USA defense, but to each his own. Canada, USA and Sweden definitely have the three best defenses in the tourny.

tml_hockey

Jan 3, 2004
Visit site
My predictions are:

Czech
Canada
Finland
USA
Sweden
Russia

Canada will only win if the americans help us out by taking out the Czech. I don't see canada beating the Czech because it always turns out to be a run and gun game, with canada coming out a goal short. Not sure what the americans do to smoother teams like that, its the american underdog game that beats everyone. Lets hope the americans beat the Czech's and Canada will help out the americans by beating out the sweds and we'll have our N/A final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad