Why Campbell over Kolomatis?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
IIRC, someone said Campbell is getting recalled to play in place of Martinez, assuming he does actually hit the IR.

From what some have said here, Campbell just isn't NHL caliber. Now me, I do want to see him get a game or two, as he's been someone I've kept my eye on for a bit, but keeping in mind the understanding that it seems the preference is to roll three puckmovers and three stay-at-types, it seems we should be looking more at a puckmover in this case.

I know there aren't many options in Manchester after they've been gutted a bit this year, but of the few that remain, we never hear about David Kolomatis. He looked great early on from I read, and he's been back for I believe a month now since his injury, so why don't we ever hear his name mentioned as a recall possibility?

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Actually, the times I've watched Campbell this year, he's been pretty good. He's a big guy who's rock solid in his own end.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Hahaha! Just posted this in the Blues PGT... Good call on raising this question.

Kolomatis could potentially help with the PP woes as well as he is one of the guys on Manchester's PP when he's healthy. I'm a huge fan of Soupy, but I just don't see how he fits in and replaces Martinez. Although I also don't think whoever gets called up will even see a game unless A-Mart is out for an extended period of time.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Not a bad idea. He plays a pretty solid all around game in Manchester and does a good job a quarterbacking a power play. He's also a right handed shot. So that would gives a lefty-righty combo on all 3 pairings.

With that said, I don't really think Kolomatis is NHLer BUT in these kinda a situations it doesn't hurt to give someone a look.

But...:laugh: Lomobardi is ALL about size and Kolomatis is only 5' 11" compared to Campbell who is 6' 4" or Muzzin who is 6' 2"

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I don't think Lombardi is 100% about size, or he'd have never drafted Hickey (or Kolomatis for that matter).

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
I don't think Lombardi is 100% about size, or he'd have never drafted Hickey (or Kolomatis for that matter).

No, I agree but he defiantly always seem to lean towards the bigger player even when the smaller player imo sometimes is the more skilled player (ie: Muzzin over Hickey)

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
No, I agree but he defiantly always seem to lean towards the bigger player even when the smaller player imo sometimes is the more skilled player (ie: Muzzin over Hickey)

To me he values players in this order; 1. Skill/Grit, 2. Experience/Seniority, 3. Size

Let's not forget DL is the GM that put Moller in a checking role at the NHL level as a 19 year old. Also when you look at who has been called up, it almost always is the guy that has been in the system for the longest amount of time and "paid his dues"

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The Kings have to see if they have anything in Campbell at the NHL level.

It's a Seniority thing. Campbell is very close to that stay or go time.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
The Kings have to see if they have anything in Campbell at the NHL level.

It's a Seniority thing. Campbell is very close to that stay or go time.

You'd think that but then Campbell is signed through 2014 (RFA) and has 5 years pro experience, and has already been called up once this season. Kolomatis has 4 years pro experience, and is an RFA after this season... Very much a make or break year for Kolomatis to stay in the Kings system with Roach, Miller and potentially Gravel or Forbort (if they leave school early) coming up through the pipeline. Plus any new draft picks (you know how DL loves his overagers) from this years draft, or free agent signings.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Also we are forgetting that, Lombardi and Hex do ask Morris for his input.

If said player doesn't get the Morris stamp of approval....That will have a factor.

Just throwing that out there.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Also we are forgetting that, Lombardi and Hex do ask Morris for his input.

If said player doesn't get the Morris stamp of approval....That will have a factor.

Just throwing that out there.

That too.

I have to admit that I haven't been a huge Morris supporter over the past couple of years but I think he does an excellent job at prepping kids for the NHL. That and he still coaches a competitive team.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Campbell has come a long way in his game the last couple of years. First couple of years he wasnt very good and just looked lost on both ends of the ice. I started to see a change in his game late last year. he really has turned the corner. I havent been to as many games this year as I would like but when I have seen him hes been good. Been to a couple of games when he was out with his injury and the Monarchs defensive unit really stuggled. He brought some stability to the back end.
Is he ready for the NHL? I think right now he can fill in on the 6 slot just fine. I cant imagine he wont get asked to do a lot. I think he will be fine for you guys IMO.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Campbell IS NHL caliber honestly. To what degree is surely debatable.

I think what everyone should pay attention to when it comes to Andrew is the progress he has made as a player. Frankly he was awful in his first couple of seasons in the AHL. He worked on his fitness, his strength, his game and has done nearly a complete 180 in statistics in his last two seasons compared to his first two.

I think EVERY GM and scout loves to see a player approach the game like that and make incremental improvements each year.

He's put in his time, he's worked on the things the organization has brought up to him and it's time for him to start getting some NHL games. The next step is the biggest and most crucial but he certainly has deserved a shot considering his development path and commitment to improving.

Kolomatis is probably next in line for such a promotion but Campbell is a bit ahead of him in the pecking order. Rewarding players for commitment is a class thing for an organization to do and it sends a very positive message to the other guys in the AHL trying to make the jump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad