Why Arizona Will Offer Sheet Matthews Next Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Pending RFA's can listen to other teams from the draft late June until July 1st, before getting official offers.

That window in the CBA that allows teams to talk to players on other teams, makes this OP suggestion a greater possibility if nothing more than leverage for Matthews in his contract talks with Leafs.

If Arizona is willing to offer >$14 mil then Dubas is in a poor position trying to get Matthews at a discount.

Why would Matthews resign early and not listen and use that leverage?

PS. When JT got higher offers and took the Leafs deal at $11 mil it is seen as giving the Leafs a discount and if Matthews gets a higher offer from Arizona and then takes a little less to stay it will be seen as a discount also.

lol

and McDavid could request a trade. I could step outside and be hit by a bus.

These made up scenarios to suit some terrible narrative are tiring and awful.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Highly doubt it gets to that point on July 1st. But, hypothetically, if it does, 30 teams would be stupid not to line up with a max offer sheet for him.

Matthews and Marner might be in the same spot as Nylander this year where if Leafs aren't offering the $$ the want they might still be unsigned by training camp.

Unless Leafs/Dubas are offering a deal too good for Matthews to commit to, why would he resign early?

You have to think since Dubas could have resigned Matthews already this summer that the number they were offer is >$10 mil already and Matthews didn't take it. His goal scoring this year is only driving that price higher.

PS. The reason Oilers resigned McDavid a year early is to avoid this possibility.

Matthews hitting the RFA market with possible suitors would be similar to JT hitting the market as a UFA and teams being interested in his services.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Doubt it. Leafs would have to offer 12.25M x 8 to equal that. Don't see why he signs it, unless he wants out. Toronto might/likely still very well match, but that's always an assumption with any big time offer sheet. Four 1st round picks is quite the compensation, even for a player of that stature. Would have to assume other players would want to go there with him to maximize that. Essentially what's happening with the Leafs with Tavares augmenting the likes of Matthews, Marner, Nylander etc. If offer sheets were ever going to occur significantly and frequently, RFA would move toward becoming redundant.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Offer sheets have been banned by GMs behind the scenes.

Matthews will not be offer sheeted.

Is the NHL still propping up Arizona ?

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Also...

Leafs are only team that can offer 8 yrs right.

8 x 12.5M = $100M

7 x $14.5M = $101.5M (from whoever offer sheets).

Ummm, not super enticing, ESPECIALLY considering Toronto can easily structure it to give everything in bonus money and up front, etc while most teams can't.

He's not going anywhere.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
This is really a no brainer decision for a struggling franchise. They have a chance to get a generational talent who also is a home town boy. The franchise which has tried to attract fans and new investment would immediately become much more viable with the new face of US hockey. Basically he would be worth hundreds of millions of dollars to the Coyotes over his career. That's why I could see them offering at least $14 million per season to him.
Yeah no. They can't afford to gamble like this. Matthews alone would not turn Phoenix in to a hockey city.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
so we match, there is no way we lose Matthews ever. If they offersheet him for $14M we match and if we cant afford him we trade him after 1 year, 4 x 1sts does nothing for us. Wait a year and 30 (or 31 if seattle arrives) will line up to throw unreal offers at us.

but even at $14M Matthews is still totally worth it. He is a legit franchise center who has 50 goal scoring ability how many c's have 50 goal ability in the NHL? Crosby has never done it, McDavid might. Matthews I believe is a lock to score 50 multiple times, as a center! not a winger with little responsibility (Ovechkin & Laine for example) a 1C!

Kinda off topic but...Sid did have a 50 goal season before.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Auston loves being a big fish in a big pond. Part of the appeal for him being a Leaf is the crazy amount of attention he gets. The endorsements, the glamour etc. He craves that stuff and he excels in pressure packed situations. As a competitive guy he wouldn't go to a small market like that. Now, if he was offer sheeted by the Rangers I'd be worried.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This is really a no brainer decision for a struggling franchise. They have a chance to get a generational talent who also is a home town boy. The franchise which has tried to attract fans and new investment would immediately become much more viable with the new face of US hockey. Basically he would be worth hundreds of millions of dollars to the Coyotes over his career. That's why I could see them offering at least $14 million per season to him.

Hundreds of millions?
Ok let's say 200 million over a 7 year contract. (28.5 M per year)

Care to break that down?

Gate Receipt increase?
Merch (is that NHL or Team Revenue) ?
Local TV?
What else? popcorn?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Also...

Leafs are only team that can offer 8 yrs right.

8 x 12.5M = $100M

7 x $14.5M = $101.5M (from whoever offer sheets).

Ummm, not super enticing, ESPECIALLY considering Toronto can easily structure it to give everything in bonus money and up front, etc while most teams can't.

He's not going anywhere.

Why $14.5M? If I'm an offer-sheeting team, I'm putting the screws to the Leafs by offering him a max contract, which will be at least $16M. 7x$16M = $112M.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Why $14.5M? If I'm an offer-sheeting team, I'm putting the screws to the Leafs by offering him a max contract, which will be at least $16M. 7x$16M = $112M.

The original poster said $14M. I even gave the benefit of $14.5M.

7 x $16M = $112 still doesn't seem enticing enough to leave to be honest.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Kinda off topic but...Sid did have a 50 goal season before.

oh so he did I missed that, in any case it isn't a regular 50 goal scorer which is my overarching point. He only has scored 40 once too.

I realize Matthews hasn't scored 50 yet but it kinda feels inevitable (Barring injury) he will have multiple 50 goal seasons. he only needs 41 more in 77 more games even when he drops off to normal scoring rates for his career so far he still hits 50 goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad