Why Arizona Will Offer Sheet Matthews Next Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
This is really a no brainer decision for a struggling franchise. They have a chance to get a generational talent who also is a home town boy. The franchise which has tried to attract fans and new investment would immediately become much more viable with the new face of US hockey. Basically he would be worth hundreds of millions of dollars to the Coyotes over his career. That's why I could see them offering at least $14 million per season to him.

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
Yea not sure if they can even afford him. They'll have to ask the Leafs for a loan first. In all seriousness Matthews has to accept an offer sheet and he wont. He's in the best possible position with this group to hopefully win a cup.

Reactions: BM14

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
Auston is a competitive guy. Would he be willing to leave a top offensive team where he can be an art ross threat and potential cups, for a career of mediocrity in Arizona? If the extra couple million a year is enough to persuade him then so be it, but it's hard to believe.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Can't we worry about this when it's much closer to being a concern?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
This is really a no brainer decision for a struggling franchise. They have a chance to get a generational talent who also is a home town boy. The franchise which has tried to attract fans and new investment would immediately become much more viable with the new face of US hockey. Basically he would be worth hundreds of millions of dollars to the Coyotes over his career. That's why I could see them offering at least $14 million per season to him.

so we match, there is no way we lose Matthews ever. If they offersheet him for $14M we match and if we cant afford him we trade him after 1 year, 4 x 1sts does nothing for us. Wait a year and 30 (or 31 if seattle arrives) will line up to throw unreal offers at us.

but even at $14M Matthews is still totally worth it. He is a legit franchise center who has 50 goal scoring ability how many c's have 50 goal ability in the NHL? Crosby has never done it, McDavid might. Matthews I believe is a lock to score 50 multiple times, as a center! not a winger with little responsibility (Ovechkin & Laine for example) a 1C!

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I'm not saying this to be rude or anything, but valuating a hockey team is more complex than 99% of the people on this board (including me) are capable of. Matthews might be able to give hype to that organization, or maybe the market really doesn't care about hockey and it doesn't change anything. It seems like a really odd thing to speculate about seeing as our guesses would have almost nothing to back them up.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Okay, Arizona of all teams is going to pay 14 million a year for a player?

The same Arizona that has Dave Bolland and Marian Hossa on the IR?

Arizona Coyotes legends Chris Pronger and Pavel Datsyuk?

That Arizona?

And the league will just be okay with this?

An American born superstar goes to a beleaguered franchise with a rich, colorful history and delivers buzz and merch sales out the ass...

But the sentiment is 'f*** it, its the Leafs lol!'?

Not even close to a shot.

Reactions: francis246

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
if he wants to go there for hwat amounts to like, 4-5 1sts, theyll all be top 5 picks and itll be heartbreaking to lose Auston, but we'll rpolly have 2-3 of him after that window is over.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Not sure what the internal budget is for Arizona but I'd have to assume they'd be pretty close to their maximum if they're offering Matthews 14m per.
He'd be in the same situation as Tavares was with the Islanders, he'd be a man on an island trying to get a team to a cup. I don't think Arizona is one Matthews type center away from cup contention.
Maybe they know that and they're just getting him for the fans and to bring more fans in.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

As long as Matthews remains unsigned and heading for RFA status this is a real possibility.

Arizona might be the ONLY team however that Matthews might consider leaving the Leafs over by signing a OS.

If Arizona is offering $14-15 mil per year and Leafs are trying to get Matthews to take a discount at <$11 mil that is a lot of $$ for Auston to leave on the table as opposed to going home and striking it rich and trying to save his favourite NHL team growing up.

History tends to repeat itself as they say and Gretzky going to LA from EDM to spark that hockey market would have a similar effect in Arizona as Matthews would fill the arena to capacity as fans to turned out to see the local here lace them up in the desert.

Reactions: DueDiligence

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Why can't we just be happy? We're always having to fret over things we have no control over. Matthews is a Leaf and having a great start to the season, let's not obsess all year about an event that's very unlikely to happen and will do nothing but make people miserable.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Call me crazy, but I don't see the cheapest team in the league offering the biggest deal in modern NHL history and that's what it would take to get him.

Reactions: ACC1224

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Yeah and if he doesn't save Arizona will he like playing for the rest of his career in the city they move the team to, like Quebec City? No danger in the Leafs moving out of Toronto to unknown destinations. Endorsement $$$ may be a lot higher in Toronto too.

Reactions: nuck

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Auston is a competitive guy. Would he be willing to leave a top offensive team where he can be an art ross threat and potential cups, for a career of mediocrity in Arizona? If the extra couple million a year is enough to persuade him then so be it, but it's hard to believe.

He has to be looking at McDavids tenure in Edmonton so far too, and the Oilers have been a deeper and more talented club than the Yotes.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Omg would people give this shit up. Offersheets don't happen and if you think Arizona is gonna give up 4 first rounders you are delusional.

Auston wants to be here, he isn't leaving

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The poorest team in the NHL is going to break rank and go after the richest teams player. Good luck trying to get the rich teams to go along with Betman at the next CBA meetings. He still needs 10 of them to form a strong enough consensus.

Reactions: Cor

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
1. Azizona is beyond broke. Like so so so damn broke.
2. Auston matthews has told teammates he's staying in toronto. Long term.
3. Auston matthews wants a Stanley Cup. That's not happening in Arizona.
4. Auston matthews won't make it to the point of offer sheets. Dubas wont let that happen.
5. Go back to your Ottawa board. No need to come here and post things trying to piss off Toronto fans. We know offer sheets won't happen.

Anything else?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What if he doesn't make it to July 1st as a RFA?

Theory out the window.

Pending RFA's can listen to other teams from the draft late June until July 1st, before getting official offers.

That window in the CBA that allows teams to talk to players on other teams, makes this OP suggestion a greater possibility if nothing more than leverage for Matthews in his contract talks with Leafs.

If Arizona is willing to offer >$14 mil then Dubas is in a poor position trying to get Matthews at a discount.

Why would Matthews resign early and not listen and use that leverage?

PS. When JT got higher offers and took the Leafs deal at $11 mil it is seen as giving the Leafs a discount and if Matthews gets a higher offer from Arizona and then takes a little less to stay it will be seen as a discount also.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't know Auston Matthews personally, but he doesn't seem to be a guy to run away from Original Six glory to get closer to mom's house.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Highly doubt it gets to that point on July 1st. But, hypothetically, if it does, 30 teams would be stupid not to line up with a max offer sheet for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad