Why are you still worried about the Leafs?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Are you serious?
Don't let it shock you when Babcock doesn't load up one PP line. That's never been his style, and he's shown that he loves balance and diversity.

More than that, Matthews understands that you have a better PP when you play 2 solid units as opposed to 1 elite unit. He won't care if he plays with...say Kadri, Rielly, marleau and Nylander on PP 1a, and Marner, Tavares and Kapanen play pp 1b.

Not saying those would be the lines, just saying it's not a big deal who he plays with.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Don't let it shock you when Babcock doesn't load up one PP line. That's never been his style, and he's shown that he loves balance and diversity.

More than that, Matthews understands that you have a better PP when you play 2 solid units as opposed to 1 elite unit. He won't care if he plays with...say Kadri, Rielly, marleau and Nylander on PP 1a, and Marner, Tavares and Kapanen play pp 1b.

Not saying those would be the lines, just saying it's not a big deal who he plays with.
Well ok then.

Matthews is an extremely competitive young man and he wants to be the best. And that means he probably wants to put up the most goals and points, which means he desires to play with the Leafs 2 most dangerous PP players.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm worried he's also not going to run the most optimal PP unit and split it up again (underutilizing Matthews/Nylander).

though there were other things that i wanted to comment on, i feel i said my piece on those so it's a meh.
how on earth can you get more 'optimal" than the 2nd best powerplay two years in a row, 2nd only to pittsburgh, who was 1st two years in a row?

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
And it's going to start with him not playing with Tavares and Marner on the first PP unit.

If the 1st PP unit doesn't have Matthews, Tavares and Marner together Babcock needs to be fired immediately.

Babcock will never get fired by the Leafs.

He has I think 2 more years and then HE has the option of 3 more. That's five more years of Babcock unless he isn't happy.

This is his team until things get really bad and they're not really bad at all are they? Quite the opposite I think?

Little nitpickings will not get Babcock fired to the point that it's not even worth discussing or considering even.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Not 1 putting after hitting the green in 1 on a par 5.

Just playing, I signed Tavares..Ive never putted in my life.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Our penalty kill I suppose. It was doing well until a certain point, then as the season waned it got worse and we ended up with the 11th best penalty kill in the league when we were comfortably top 10 beforehand. We then need up having the worst penalty kill in the playoffs (tied for last with Columbus). We lost Polak and as much as we liked to harp on him he did log a lot of minutes on the penalty kill, and those minutes are going to have to be replaced. Hainsey was already ridden into the ground last season. It’s not like he can take any more. Rielly could see his time short handed increase. Hopefully Dermott or Carrick can be leaned on a bit more too.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Pp Mathews and JT along with Marner on one unit is a given as Mathews clearly voiced his opinion after the season and Babcock was sent to make nice with the Mathews. Mathews signs this summer and his minutes will reflect the new contract. In order to get the stars more minutes their Pp time will increase as they will not play PK.

My worries are that we need more players to step up physical come playoff time or if a repeat happens the offenders need to be shipped out.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs have all the offensive talent in the World .. No worries there !!!
& have one of the best coaches in the World also, so that should let everyone sleep soundly there.

However worries include;

- Too small (big heavy teams have a built in advantage head to head winning puck and board battles all over the ice).

- Too soft (no ability to push back physically and as a result draw fewer penalties than most teams 3rd least in 2017-18.) Its Leafs Kryptonite in effect because Leafs young offensive stars are going to be targeted physically and are they expected to simply take those lumps or fight their own battles)?

-Too weak defensively (in both player composition and style of play on the D-core. Give up far too many shots against (3rd most in 2017-18). Numerous players like Gardiner and Zaitsev playing in the top 4, throw the puck away like a hot potato simply to avoid contact and it results in egregious turnovers. Dcore really missing that true #1 big minute munching Dman who is Norris calibre worthy to control the play.)

- Freddy "5 hole" Andersen is either really good or really bad (gave up 6 goals against in 4 of Leafs first 12 games alone and 5 or more goals in 3 playoff losses losing 5-1. 7-3 and 7-4 games in the playoffs)

- 1 real true shot at the Cup in 2018-19 season as window is wide open with young guns still on ELC and team depth at its best.. Once those big contracts kick in Leafs will be made up of stars and cheap/ELC and little in-between when 4 forwards take up nearly 1/2 the team cap.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Babcock will never get fired by the Leafs.

He has I think 2 more years and then HE has the option of 3 more. That's five more years of Babcock unless he isn't happy.

This is his team until things get really bad and they're not really bad at all are they? Quite the opposite I think?

Little nitpickings will not get Babcock fired to the point that it's not even worth discussing or considering even.

he does not have an option.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Goaltending; although every goalie in the playoffs gave up a few stinkers, it’d be nice to spread them out over 20 games and not just seven.
Grit; whatever you want to call it, the Leafs need to be tougher to play against in the playoffs. They need to find some guys that will forecheck and separate the puck from the D and punish the opposition. They have a couple already but few others have to step up and be more physical. Brown, Leivo, Kapanen, Grundstrom can all do it if they wanted.

Still, it feels great knowing there are 82 meaningful games coming up and we have to try and set our schedules so we don’t miss a moment of it.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner

That's fine on 5-5 play, but that logic doesn't apply for the powerplay

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
I probably have more confidence in Andersen then a lot of poster on this board. You cant point out how lack luster of a blue line we have, many times calling it bottom 5 in the league and then be surprised that our goaltender is not lights out. The two go hand in hand IMO. Once our D is even league average I think that will vault Andersen into becoming more consistent and likely a top 10 goalie each year.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm not sure. Pittsburgh has had a lot of success with that strategy.
As has Winnipeg. As has Boston. I think you can have a great powerplay either way. It's just my opinion, but I think a loaded powerplay is better if you want success in a shorter sample like a playoff run. A split powerplay might be better in the longer term like a season.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
I would say a loaded powerplay is preferred as well. I haven't done the research, but I assume the majority of PPG are scored within the first minute of a powerplay.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Babcock: "Hold my beer"

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Matthews - Ennis
[Drinks the rest of Babcock's beer]
Babcock: 'WTF, come on man?'
Al14: 'Sorry Mike, didn't want you drunker than you already are!'

:huh:

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
The defense to be strong enough to be a serious contender.

Injuries are always something to worry about.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We all know this isn't a team of destiny (as much as we wish the opposite were true)

That said, I do see big things coming in the near future for the Leafs organization, but there will always be that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that they'll never win anything, simply because they are the Toronto Maple Leafs. Something always happens.

So I ask, what about this team worries you still?

Its lack of size, physicality, push back ability and most important its defense core at present.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->