Why are you still worried about the Leafs?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm not worried about the Leafs. It's not time to worry yet. I've got unbridled optimism and expect it to last for the next year or two. Of course there are injuries and such that can derail a season, but that's just bad luck and it's not really anyone's fault. I don't think I'll start worrying until the team gives me reason to worry. There's lots of things the team can do still to improve (fix that right side D), but we should be trending upwards and a legitimate contender this year. I don't intend to worry until real problems emerge that could prevent us from contending. I don't expect us to win the cup in any given year, it's the long term success that's important and what gives us the best chance to win one or more cups. That's what I will worry about and there is zero concern there for now.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Babcock continues to upset Matthews to the point that he refuses to sign before reaching rfa. Arizona then offer sheets him to a max term max dollar value contract.

At least we'd potentially get 4 lottery picks?

ha.

I'm not worried, I'm excited as hell!

Now I've only been a fan since the mid 90's, but this is the best collection of star potential players the Leafs have ever had IMO.

I can barely even stand the wait to watch Tavares and Marner play together opening night vs Habs, that alone is a treat I could never have imagined being an actuality with the Leafs.

We're absolutely blessed to have Shanahan come in and do what he's done here, are dare I say us Leafs fans deserve it too....finally a legit great team.

Not worried, excited. Might not win a cup, but also might just actually win a cup :)

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
1. Andersen and his extreme shakiness, weak goals and unpredictability
2. No stay at home D
3. Limited toughness against teams like Bruins

Don't think we are built for a Cup run yet.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
2. No stay at home D

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
The things that potentially scare me are Tampa getting EK, and Andersen going full Anderseive like he did vs. Boston this playoffs. Other than that I feel pretty good about this team.
There’s no bad contracts, no real dead weight to be burdened with long term. The management team is bright and forward thinking, the coaching staff has pedigree and other than a few hiccups here and there have done a wonderful job sheparding this young team towards back to back playoff appearances in the first two years of a rebuild

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Agreed completely. These two worry me the most.

I have doubts about either of these guys' ability to step up under pressure.

I'm not worried about Andersen. He'd had 3 solid playoff performances already: taking the Ducks to the 3rd round in '14-'15, going 11-5 along the way, winning 3 of 5 with a 94.7% in '15-'16 before being injured and being a big reason why we took the Caps to 6 in '16-'17. IMO, he was just overworked this season (yes, he played the same number of games as the season before, but he played over 100 more minutes and faced 150 more shots), and with Sparks and Pickard potentially giving Babcock a borderline starter behind Andersen, that shouldn't happen again this year.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Im worried they will get bullied and pushed around by Boston or Washington in next years playoff and loose.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
2. No stay at home D

The summer ain't over yet. I think the toughness and hardness element should be addressed too. One fool should be gotten. The man who can handle Tom Wilson and Reaves. We don't have that right now. Only runners. It's not a good thang to find this type of thang out during the season.

Other than that: We cool and ready. Steady to go and cup that thang up.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I'm not worried about Andersen. He'd had 3 solid playoff performances already: taking the Ducks to the 3rd round in '14-'15, going 11-5 along the way, winning 3 of 5 with a 94.7% in '15-'16 before being injured and being a big reason why we took the Caps to 6 in '16-'17. IMO, he was just overworked this season (yes, he played the same number of games as the season before, but he played over 100 more minutes and faced 150 more shots), and with Sparks and Pickard potentially giving Babcock a borderline starter behind Andersen, that shouldn't happen again this year.

Yea, I totally agree with you about him being overworked. The amount of shots he was facing night in night out during the season was obscene. I still have a bit of doubt though, he tends to let in some softies at really bad times; Game 7 this year and the Game 1 OT winner last year against the Caps as an example. I do still have a lot of faith in him overall to get the job done but he is still a concern for me to a degree.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Don't worry,be happy...gonna be fun to watch! Won't be without some kinda adversity,but they gonna score goals !
Maybe the refs will allow them more PP opportunities this year?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Babcock continues to upset Matthews to the point that he refuses to sign before reaching rfa. Arizona then offer sheets him to a max term max dollar value contract.
And it's going to start with him not playing with Tavares and Marner on the first PP unit.

If the 1st PP unit doesn't have Matthews, Tavares and Marner together Babcock needs to be fired immediately.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
My concerns are:
A - Gardiner
B - lack of toughness/bangers
C - slight concern for Babcock's stubbornness with line combos

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
i'm scared Babcock's ego is going to get in the way. he's so obsessed with meticulously matching lines and managing minutes to the second and it's simply not going to work for a team built to rely on star talent. it seems like he'd rather lose while making his mark on the team than win by letting his players get all the glory.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not worried, just excited to see what the next moves are to round out the depth chart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad