Why are you still worried about the Leafs?

JayDog17

Dec 23, 2014
Babcock continues to upset Matthews to the point that he refuses to sign before reaching rfa. Arizona then offer sheets him to a max term max dollar value contract.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Leafs are cup contenders so that is good but leafs have holes and are soft and small and lack physicality and that is the reason to worry with that defense. IMO

A #1Dman and top 6 power forward would go a long way to ease those worries to make them a true contender.

I believe that at the moment we're given the second best odds to win the cup (just behind TB). That's "true" enough for me.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I'm worried that this fan base has set their expectations too high for what is still a young, developing team. Already threads about the coach being fired if they don't get past the first round this year, and nonsense of our forwards being able to just run over teams all year long. They are a top 10 team, that's it.....they may not even with their division.
Expectations don't translate to results. It is the burden of responsibility. A love fest doesn't help.
I for one have extremely high expectations calibrated to the role the player has. You want to be the man, then act the man. Take responsibility.
Setting expectations that your franchise center shows up in the playoffs is not too high.
Kadri was a bone head to get suspended, as an example and he was contrite. Good for him.He still managed to put the same points up as Matthews in the playoffs. Matthews came across as indignant for Babcocks's decisions yet managed 2 point in 7 games. I expected better.
Andersen made a big thing early in the season about team mates becoming accountable and manning up. Where was he?
I expected better.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Maybe sack up and just realize it's sports and doesn't require the personal investment of worry?

That being said, I say defence is still still something that could affect their compete.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I find the fear about this team so silly. The future is so bright.
I don't believe most realize how damn good this team will be. These comments about needing 3 or 4 more pieces is hilarious to me. Our centres are monsters.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We all know this isn't a team of destiny (as much as we wish the opposite were true)

That said, I do see big things coming in the near future for the Leafs organization, but there will always be that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that they'll never win anything, simply because they are the Toronto Maple Leafs. Something always happens.

So I ask, what about this team worries you still?
The Goalie.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
If I have to pick something, it's overall team D. We need to limit shots and especially high danger scoring chances.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Babcock continues to upset Matthews to the point that he refuses to sign before reaching rfa. Arizona then offer sheets him to a max term max dollar value contract.
LOL @ thinking Arizona has the money for a max deal. They can't pay for the electricity in the building without revenue sharing. Notice how they keep acquiring retired players to artifically reach the cap floor? They can't even afford to actually pay the money to be a cap floor team.

member 262271

I wouldn't say I'm worried, I've moreso just accepted that in hockey there is no such thing as destiny or any kind of certainty. As long as I'm entertained though thats something?

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
A cup is never a given. A lot of things need to allign in a certain year, one of them being lucky, for a team to win the cup. What worries me the most is the uncertainty if we will ever experience it lol

We know for sure, the moment the Leafs win (if they will ever win) the cup, is getting closer every year...

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Injury, that's it, I do not thnk a healthy Leaf team can be stopped, Tampa is the top competition and even they can't match Tavares Matthews Kadri down the middle.

I don't worry about "asset management " because all that is, is people wanting to sell guys in the last year of their deal simply BECAUSE they are in the last year of their deal, if a deal can be made that makes you better now that's fine that's different, but selling a guy for picks and prospects and creating a hole in the lineup when you don't need to is profoundly stupid

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Injuries, cause sometimes shit happens. Never really worry very much though, there are much bigger things to sweat over than how my team is doing.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
You actually bought into that media drivel?
When Bobby Orr was asked about Matthews being upset about maybe not getting the “C”, with the arrival of JT, Orr said that is so untrue and unfair to say. When he was asked about Matthews being upset by Babcock, Orr said lots of players dont like their coach. Easy to figure out whats going on there, since he did not deny that one. So its not media drivel at all.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Worried about the fan expectations and the pressure that mounts on players after a 3 game losing streak.

After Tavares goes on a 12 game scoreless drought.

After Marner has another slow start.

After Matthews has a minor injury

After dermott slumps a little.

Our fanbase is absolutely rabid...and gets straight up nasty for normal hockey situations( losing streaks, injuries, slumps)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->