Why are you still worried about the Leafs?

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
We all know this isn't a team of destiny (as much as we wish the opposite were true)

That said, I do see big things coming in the near future for the Leafs organization, but there will always be that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that they'll never win anything, simply because they are the Toronto Maple Leafs. Something always happens.

So I ask, what about this team worries you still?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Injuries, and also that it's not easy to win the Cup. I might very well have those concerns being a fan of any other team.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Took Washington over a decade and their "worst roster" in years to win.

Nothing is ever guaranteed. We now have expectations. We will more often than not fail (we ain't winning the Cup every year no matter WHAT we do).

Too much goes into it. Health, luck, opposition, match ups, etc.

I guess everything still worries me

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Leafs fans have been witness to decades worth of shit show management and shit show product on the ice. Finally things have changed and we have reason to believe again.

I personally feel we had a window to win the cup from 1992-2004 but we didn't capitalize, there were many great teams and runs during that 12 year span. Our window has opened again and will remain open, using that reference of 12 years I think our window will be considered 2018-2030 moving forward.

I guess I worry that we won't be able to capitalize on this window too, but I have hope this time we'll manage to, if the Leafs are going to break the drought this window of years is the time its going to happen imo.

Hope Bringer

Jan 6, 2010
We're obviously in a great position to succeed, but it still takes a lot of things to go right to win the cup.

If I had to worry about something, I guess it would be that I'm not sure whether the team can withstand a physically grinding 7 game series. But they may not have to!

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
We probably have the worst 3 RD in the entire league, and simple acquisitions (Pysyk-types) would round out our team so damn well.

I'm not certain Babs will optimize our D correctly and use Gardiner-Rielly as our top-pairing.

I'm worried that Babs will constantly replace Nylander with Brown for no good reason.

I'm worried he's also not going to run the most optimal PP unit and split it up again (underutilizing Matthews/Nylander)

I hated the Zaitsev and Marleau contracts from day 1, and they're the clear two issues with our cap crunch in 2019-20.

I'm also not convinced Lindholm is good enough to be our 4C. Please go for Shore.

Reactions: ToMaLe and SAMCRO44

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm far too busy being thrilled about Tavares and excited about the coming season to worry much about anything. Maybe a potential missed season due to a lockout but that's it (and that's also not on the immediate horizon).

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am worried about upcoming games where players like Johnsson, Brown will get more ice time than Matthews/JT. But, I guess, it does not matter if they win those games.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs are cup contenders so that is good but leafs have holes and are soft and small and lack physicality and that is the reason to worry with that defense. IMO

A #1Dman and top 6 power forward would go a long way to ease those worries to make them a true contender.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't really believe in Andersen or our right defensive group. Also it's insanely hard to win. Leafs could be the best team in the league next year and still get bounced in round 1 or 2. Also of course I'm worried our coaches won't optimize the lineup

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
We all know this isn't a team of destiny (as much as we wish the opposite were true)

That said, I do see big things coming in the near future for the Leafs organization, but there will always be that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that they'll never win anything, simply because they are the Toronto Maple Leafs. Something always happens.

So I ask, what about this team worries you still?
Nothing.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Playoff grit. Can this team dig deep?
Will Anderson learn to be a playoff goalie?
Do we have more that a couple of forwards that can learn to play with smaller ice and get creative?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I'm worried that this fan base has set their expectations too high for what is still a young, developing team. Already threads about the coach being fired if they don't get past the first round this year, and nonsense of our forwards being able to just run over teams all year long. They are a top 10 team, that's it.....they may not even with their division.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Took Washington over a decade and their "worst roster" in years to win.

Nothing is ever guaranteed. We now have expectations. We will more often than not fail (we ain't winning the Cup every year no matter WHAT we do).

Too much goes into it. Health, luck, opposition, match ups, etc.

I guess everything still worries me
Yeah, this pretty much.

At the same time, my expectations is pretty much not more than reasonable hope. I just want to enjoy the ride, enjoy thinking it could happen in any year.

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
Not worried about the Leafs, I'm worried about the fanbase, and the rest of the NHL.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I've never been less worried in my time as a fan.

we've finally got a group of legit star talent in their prime.

Dubas will address the defence via trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad