Why are we still here?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Honest question.

Why are you still a Habs fan? What keeps you around?

I’m starting to seriously question my fandom to this franchise after the events of this week, and the rumours about Lefebvre getting promoted. For the first time in my life, I’ve considered leaving this team in the dust.

The owner is clearly as incompetent as the GM, and the indication right now is that isn’t changing any time soon ...
Most every team takes a turn. We have had our share of good fortune

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
A fan sticks with the team they love through good and bad times. I’m a Habs fan for Life! You want to change teams? Go ahead, be a bandwagon fan.

Zzzzzzz

What benefits do you get with the superfan package? Sports are for entertainment, the habs arent entertaining, not in the least. If people want to bail I say do it, lifes to short to spend unhappy.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Here's an original and truthful answer to the OP: I'm still here because my flight to Mexico was cancelled. Should be taking off right about now. Goddamn weather.

Lshap rolls into this thread all like...

giphy.gif

Have you ever infracted someone from your smart phone?

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
I like that most of the opinions shared on here and this place keeps my French sharp as I haven’t been in Montreal for years and years.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Because I'm a Montreal Canadiens fan. And there's not a stupid management that is here temporarily that will make me stop loving this franchise. Bergevin and Molson will never have the upper hand on my love for the Glorieux.
This is the right answer.

The stupidity that we've see is temporary. It may not seem that way now but it is. MB will be turfed before the 2020 season begins. Let's just hope they get it right next time.

Reactions: Hardworker33

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Looking at the leafs, i am almost happy we are not in the same boat, losing in 5, drafting at 23rd.

Not talking about comparing boths team but the situation that we've got ourselves in so many times.

At least we've got something to hope for with a lottery pick and 4 2nds.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
This is a good question. But it is about loyalty to something larger than the garbage GM, or coach, or current set of players. It's about remaining loyal so that when things finally turn around you will have the right to celebrate like a true fan. The coming years will suck but it won't last forever.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Looking at the leafs, i am almost happy we are not in the same boat, losing in 5, drafting at 23rd.

Not talking about comparing boths team but the situation that we've got ourselves in so many times.

At least we've got something to hope for with a lottery pick and 4 2nds.

Are you serious? The Leafs have an amazing young core with a ridiculously bright future, a competent front office and coach. Just because they are losing in their 2nd year in the playoffs to a juggernaut vet-lead team means nothing. They've got mountains of tangible hope and we have tiny hills of pipedreams.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
I am a Habs fan thanks to Patrick Roy. And I will continue to be a Habs fan despite the Gauthier's and the Bergevin's of the world.
Cause in the end, all of those are replaced by new faces.
But the crest and the team will remain.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I have a very hard time with this weird narrative comparing this team to your life partners. "through thick and thin" and such. This is a business, a product, a company built to make money...

I'm still a habs fan, always been always will be in a way, but why should I watch the games or support them monetarily right now? there is a breaking point where i'd rather stop watching an entertainment product if the entertainment is bad and doesn't give me any promises of getting better anytime soon. Especially considering money is the only language they speak. Just because you've been to Walmart your whole life doesn't mean you should support Walmart if they empty the shelves and boost the prices up by 500%... "yeah but you know i'm emotionally invested in walmart and real fans don't give up on them"

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
I have a very hard time with this weird narrative comparing this team to your life partners. "through thick and thin" and such. This is a business, a product, a company built to make money...

I'm still a habs fan, always been always will be in a way, but why should I watch the games or support them monetarily right now? there is a breaking point where i'd rather stop watching an entertainment product if the entertainment is bad and doesn't give me any promises of getting better anytime soon. Especially considering money is the only language they speak. Just because you've been to Walmart your whole life doesn't mean you should support Walmart if they empty the shelves and boost the prices up by 500%... "yeah but you know i'm emotionally invested in walmart and real fans don't give up on them"
hehe. very well put. Mol$on and his marketeers are happy to milk all those 'love the crest' consumers that are ready to give their money and time away no matter what.

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I am a Habs fan thanks to Patrick Roy. And I will continue to be a Habs fan despite the Gauthier's and the Bergevin's of the world.
Cause in the end, all of those are replaced by new faces.
But the crest and the team will remain.

I get what you’re saying, many would counter your point that the crest and the team no longer stand for what they once did.

When Bergevin first came in there was hope that he would restore that, and the mediocrity was going to get left behind. Well, turns out mediocrity was left behind and what laid ahead of was even worse.

This summer is going to be pivotal for me. While I will always be a fan on some level, I’m seriously considering taking my dollars elsewhere.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
... Is going from HC in the AHL to AC in the NHL really a promotion?

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Because the Montreal Canadiens are a glorious team in a great city playing a thrilling sport. Marc Bergevin is the Habs' Philippe Pétain I can oppose him because he does not represent what the team stands for. In my heart I still love the Habs and believe we will one day overcome the dark forces and shine once again.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Are you serious? The Leafs have an amazing young core with a ridiculously bright future, a competent front office and coach. Just because they are losing in their 2nd year in the playoffs to a juggernaut vet-lead team means nothing. They've got mountains of tangible hope and we have tiny hills of pipedreams.

I was not comparing the teams. Do people read post nowdays.

I mean the SITUATION we have been in lately.

Losing in 5 games to draft 23rd to start again....

Yes the leafs got a bright future. If the find some balls and 4 def.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Won't disagree there. My hate still goes back to the Neely and Sweeney days.

Add in others like Milbury, Linseman, Byers... hard to support a Bruins franchise when the rivalry and hate has been ingrained in some of us over decades.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
I was not comparing the teams. Do people read post nowdays.

I mean the SITUATION we have been in lately.

Losing in 5 games to draft 23rd to start again....

Yes the leafs got a bright future. If the find some balls and 4 def.

Ok, sure, sorry, I didn't understand your point.

I think the Leafs have a bright future based purely on the continued growth of their superstar/star three youngsters. Luckily they don't have a front office that is dumb enough to fall into the trap of thinking that if they "find some balls" they will be successful because that's how you get Shaw, Benn, Alzner etc. instead of useful skill into your lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->