Why are we so easy to play against?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I'll re-post something I wrote in October:

But when it comes to board battles, we need more from almost everyone (Timashov, Moore, Gauthier, Kerfoot, Mikheyev, Kapanen, Muzzin aside). We need shoulders into chests, pins against the boards, cross-checks. We need to not fear getting into scrums or possibly getting punched in the face. We need to pick up for our teammates when another team takes liberties. I'm not saying fight, I'm saying give a guy a shove. Make them think twice.

Just watch how opponents aren't afraid to turn their backs to us, or they hold on to the puck longer because of the lack of pressure. There's no panic in their games because we don't scare them. It's a game of shinny to a team like Boston or Tampa.

I'm not suggesting becoming the 1970's Flyers, but we need some level of physicality so our opponents aren't treating games against us like public skates. Some of our best hockey in recent years has come with guys like Kadri, Komarov and Martin out there causing a ruckus. And while I don't miss guys like Komarov and Martin because of the net negative impact they had overall, I miss one aspect of their games: their swagger. It's time to reclaim our swagger and get our noses dirty.

Look at a team like Vegas or San Jose or St. Louis or Boston. Those are teams where a culture has been instilled of having your teammate's back. Until we find that in ourselves and show it outward, teams will continue to look at us as skilled but meek.

To add to this: I thought it was insane that Tavares did nothing to Svechnikov last night after he boarded Barrie. He's supposed to be setting an example for these younger guys. If we're not playing for each other, we're playing for ourselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: baton elevated

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
I watch every game. Physicality without a purpose is pointless. Just being physical would do nothing for this team. Playing harder and smarter puts them in a position to win. There would be some additional physicality that naturally comes with that, but hitting for the sake of it is not going to get it done. Thursday vs Pit was the winning recipe and I didn't feel that was much more physical than normal.
Yeah.
We disagree.
That's cool.
Physicality.
You either have it or you don't.
We don't.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Boston never does and is quick to rid themselves of this characteristic. Kessel,Seguin, Hamilton etc. They care more about character than skill .

Ridding themselves of players like that might be a reason they haven't won more Cups in recent years.

You think they could have used Seguin against the Blues last year?

Last edited:

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Leafs are good when teams collapse or just trap.

But when teams are aggressive . forechecking then they lose composure fast.

Carolina just did the swarm on the leafs and they couldnt get a decent shot the whole period. completely dominated

Reactions: Cobra777

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Ridding themselves of players like that might be a reason they haven't won more Cups in recent years.

You think they could have used Seguin against the Blues last year?
Hard to say. Looking at just points, sure, maybe. But did it affect team chemistry? Was their personality that caused something for the rest of the group? Maybe they needed to go but the guy trading them just wasn’t very good at return.
Team chemistry is more important than individual. Work ethic/in game details a group didn’t like? Who knows.

Reactions: baton elevated

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Conditioning also looks like a problem.
The Canes outworked, out skated, and dominated after playing less than 24 hours before, plus travel.

The Leafs were sat waiting at home. With the 3rd period collapses, no effort, no compete late in games I definitely question their conditioning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad