Why are there so many Flames players talking out???

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Could it be the Flames leading the way for a new CBA?

Ference, Gelinas, Commodore have all really stirred the boat so far with CBA talks. Ference and Commodore were really the first to talk their mind and NOT back down, especially Ference. I hope it further breaks down the union and a deal gets done.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
Ference's main point was both sides are being stupid and should be talking. Didn't create a HUGE stir, but Commodore's "let's have a cap if it'll work" comments go totally against the union's stance.

hunter1909*

probably the flames players know they are getting shafted by a lockout, just as they thought they were near to joining the NHL elite...

also, none of them bar one probably makes a lot of money relative to the NHLPA fat cats

hunter1909*

Digger12 said:
...and meanwhile, the silence from their rep Iginla is deafening.

iginla makes 5x more than any other flame...plus other issues im not allowed to mention for PC reasons

: P

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
MrMastodonFarm said:
Because Flames players have balls.

Yes. We watched the playoffs. Apparently that character comes out in real life ;)

two out of three*

1LS9 said:
Commodore isn't making any friends on the NHLPA side. He's already had many players fire back about the comments he's made.

You think he cares? He's not saying those comments to make any friends. He loves the game, and needs to make a living. I would say the same thing.

iAvs

JUST WIN
Mar 1, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
www.flickr.com
TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us said:
You think he cares? He's not saying those comments to make any friends. He loves the game, and needs to make a living. I would say the same thing.

I never said he thought that would make him popular. If he thinks it will influence the decision... more power to him. But, it won't. Now, if Iginla said that, we'd be ont to something. But, we all know that's not going to happen.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'm sure they, and a lot of other players believe that the owners aren't going to give in this time. If you believe that to be the case, then the lockout is merely postponing the inevitable while money is lost on inflated contracts that that'll never be seen again. The thinking may be, "let's get this over with so I can at least make the $600K (or whatever my contract calls for) this season before the hammer comes down".

Commodore is probably on the first one-way deal of his career. This is probably his only chance to make some big money (I consider $515K big money) before there's a new CBA. He could end up being bought out for a fraction of that under a new CBA. I doubt 3rd pair dmen will make that much. Ference is on the final year of his $625K contract. He could see his salary cut in half under a new CBA. If the lockout lasts a full season, Phaneuf will be taking one of these guys spots and they'll never play for the Flames again. After making it to the finals, that's a bitter pill to swallow.

Gelinas is on the last year of his deal and he's scheduled to make $1.95 million. When the CBA is resolved, he'll probably be 35 years old looking to catch on somewhere as an UFA. He scored 35 points last season and he'll have been a year out of hockey. He's taking a huge hit by the lockout, and losing money that was likely carefully budgeted into his retirement. He has no chance of recovering it.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
And these guys interest are a little different from many of the other players. As Ray was saying, he isnt getting any windfalls out of this, and these guys arent millionaires. This is a very fair and real perspective from their view. The NHLPA has many different constituencies and these guys are going to disproportionately suffer.

It is to be expected they will see this dipute differently than the top players.

Alberta also is probaly not ripe labour country. The Canadian media, a large amount who have pimped off the NHL are suffering now, and finding ways of occupying their time. Here in Ottawa, the radio station is still talking about the cba a lot. The hockey guys are on the radio and getting bored and running out of things to do. The media certainly believes the owners mean it, so the only hope for them is bust up the rich players union.

Probably why this is all the local canadian team announcers that have sought out the good interviews from the struggling guys but never interview anyone who is making the case they dont want to hear.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
thinkwild said:
Probably why this is all the local canadian team announcers that have sought out the good interviews from the struggling guys but never interview anyone who is making the case they dont want to hear.

You make a good point, but someone like Marchant seemed to have no problem getting his message out.

I would think that if the more militant NHLPA members wanted to get their message out bad enough, they could find a media guy to tell their story.

Reading some of the articles from the large market papers, not all of them are in the NHL's pocket by any stretch.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
1LS9 said:
Commodore isn't making any friends on the NHLPA side. He's already had many players fire back about the comments he's made.

Yes, but he's making many more friends among fans and that's what peeving off the hard core union lackeys.

Guys like Commodore and Ferrence have guts and fans love that they care about the game unlike the guys who are hiding out in Europe. Get back here and show us how much playing in the best league in the world, battling it out for Lord Stanley's mug, means to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad