Why are there no 30 for 30 docs about MMA?

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
30 for 30 docs have covered just about every sport except MMA. I wonder why this is, there are so many great stories they could tell such as the Yakuza involvement in Pride, Lee Murray’s crazy life, How Jon Jones could have been the greatest of all time and threw it away.
What other MMA stories would make a good 30 for 30 doc?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
We probably haven't it because a) it's a niche sport and b) ufc controls the access to ufc/pride tapes.

Could see something happen now that the UFC is teamed up with ESPN.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Probably some rights issues which, as m9 mentioned, might be resolved with UFC partnering with ESPN.

At least for me, I enjoyed the 30 for 30s on stuff from the 80s/90s. I feel like recent stories have been covered pretty well. Bill Simmons shoehorned in a 30 for 30 on the Red Sox 2004 championship in 2010 which felt like it was too fresh compared to the other subjects.

And in a lot of cases, if you don't have some of the principle subjects cooperating, the documentary won't be as good (ie, Sportsnet did a 20 minute documentary on Alex Mogilny's defection but Mogilny declined to be interviewed). ESPN also ran into problems where there were interesting subjects, but really only 10-20 minutes worth of material which they spun off into the 30 for 30 shorts.

UFC/Fox produced its own documentary for their 20th anniversary and that was interesting to see the beginnings of the organization.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
ESPN’s understanding of MMA as a sport is very new. They just started to hire experts.

They had Steven A Smith as MMA analyst, that was ... something.

Sep 19, 2008
Not really any compelling stories to tell

There was one on Ric Flair but again Flair was someone who was in the industry for several decades and had a very high profile. MMA is popular now don't get me wrong but WWE / WCW / WWF was around since the 80's and Flair played a huge impact

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
There are absolutely compelling stories to tell.

MMA in USA was very close to not happening at all, as government tried to shut UFC down.

It got to the point where UFC was holding events in HS gyms.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Give it time. There will be. ESPN just signed the deal to take over. No way were they going to do a 30 for 30 on UFC when their direct competitor Fox Sports 1 had the television deal. Now that they do, it's a virtual guarantee we'll see one sooner rather than later.

Lukin1978

Feb 27, 2008
The North
I'd watch 30 for 30 shows about
Ken Shamrock
Bas Rutten
Mark Coleman
Matt Hughes
There are definitely interesting stories to tell about early mma stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad