Why are the Rangers drawing so many penalties?

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
The Rangers are one of the worst 5v5 possessions teams in the league by Corsi rating yet teams are taking so many penalties against them they are #1 in the league in scoring. Why take so many penalties against a team you are supposedly dominating 5v5?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
The Rangers system (according to the numbers) is focused on generating scoring chances. 21.5% of their 5v5 corsis result in scoring chances (the highest in the league), compared to the 15.1% league average. Despite their poor corsi for%, they do fairly well in expected goals for%, which is a better predictor of team success. (I think? I've never actually made sure of this)

Scoring chances are corsis taken from the high danger areas and intuitively, penalties are more likely to be taken to prevent those scoring chances.

However, looking further on Corsica, it seems that the Rangers have only drawn 61 penalties this season at 5v5. When converted into a rate, it becomes a measly 3 penalties drawn per 60 minutes, which is the 3rd lowest ratio in the league (league average 3.6). The Rangers don't seem to be drawing an excessive amount of penalties at all.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
The Rangers system (according to the numbers) is focused on generating scoring chances. 21.5% of their 5v5 corsis result in scoring chances (the highest in the league), compared to the 15.1% league average. Despite their poor corsi for%, they do fairly well in expected goals for%, which is a better predictor of team success. (I think? I've never actually made sure of this)

Scoring chances are corsis taken from the high danger areas and intuitively, penalties are more likely to be taken to prevent those scoring chances.

However, looking further on Corsica, it seems that the Rangers have only drawn 61 penalties this season at 5v5. When converted into a rate, it becomes a measly 3 penalties drawn per 60 minutes, which is the 3rd lowest ratio in the league (league average 3.6). The Rangers don't seem to be drawing an excessive amount of penalties at all.

They are 3rd in the league in PPG vs PGA and first in oppertunity differential, so I consider that excessive since it's clearly costing teams games they probably rather win than lose . As long we are on the same page that low Corsi has no relation to what's actually happening 5v5 in terms of actual possession we are probably in agreement.

Last edited:

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015

TSN says they've had 73 PP oppertunities so I'm not sure how that happens only drawing 61 penalties.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
TSN says they've had 73 PP oppertunities so I'm not sure how that happens only drawing 61 penalties.

Would that count bench minors or things like Ron Hainsey's penalty for cursing at a ref?

Also, that's only at 5v5. We had a few where it was a penalty drawn on the pp or pk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad