Why are the Ducks so bad?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I look at the roster and they shouldn't be this bad.

Goaltending is solid with Gibson and Miller

Defense isn't what it use to be but you still got Fowler, Lindholm and Manson that's a pretty good top 3

And they have some skill up front.

And yet they could win 5-1 or lose 6-2 and neither outcome surprises me.

Why are they so bad? They shouldn't be THIS bad

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I feel like they have some nice prospects getting some decent playing time in right now and once they develop a bit more, the Ducks'll be alright.

That said their defense currently has Gudbranson, Del Zotto, and Holzer getting a lot of playing time so I think there's a big issue. They need Larsson, Guhle, Mahura, etc to start making big strides.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I look at the roster and they shouldn't be this bad.

Goaltending is solid with Gibson and Miller

Defense isn't what it use to be but you still got Fowler, Lindholm and Manson that's a pretty good top 3

And they have some skill up front.

And yet they could win 5-1 or lose 6-2 and neither outcome surprises me.

Why are they so bad? They shouldn't be THIS bad

They are lacking in elite offensive talent. Getzlaf is still a 1C but not elite anymore. The powerplay is dreadful (least PP goals in the league) and has lacked a true quarterback since Vatanen. Even an average powerplay would probably have them still in the mix in the Pacific.

The very simple answer is that they just don't score enough. Getzlaf/Rakell/Henrique/Silfverberg just isn't nearly enough offensive punch to lead a team. Zegras and this year's early pick could be a big help there in the not too distant future.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
As an outside observer, they held onto Randy Carlyle way too long and it fermented a losing culture.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Where to begin? They cannot finish, and have the worst PP in the league. Their defense core is not good outside of Lindholm and Fowler. The forward and D group have a bunch of kids still learning and cannot finish or turn over the puck too easily. They are 6-4-2 in their last 12 games, but think they could be better, a lot of one goal losses this season due to lack of finish. Gibson has also not been on top of his game this season, although better as of late.

Also, they lack a star player. Getzlaf is still solid but he is not what he once was. He is still a low end 1C, high end 2C but it's not enough.

Last edited:

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
They don’t have any elite talent (other than Gibson) and they don’t have great depth like some other teams like Arizona or NYI.

Reactions: klabob

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I don't need them to win 10 just tomorrow

200.gif

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Because Getzlaf can’t carry the offense on his back like he used to, our young forwards all took steps backwards over the offseason, the D outside of Lindholm and Fowler are mediocre (especially the third pairing of Larsson and Holzer who shouldn’t be in the league) and Gibson is having an average year.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
no offense

getzlaf is still an elite passer (despite losing a step) but he's got no finishers to pass to. guys like rakell/henrique/silfverberg/kase just don't score enough on a consistent basis. oh and the PP is simply atrocious

the defense is awful aside from lindholm and fowler. manson has been terrible since he returned from injury and the rest of the defense consists of gudbranson, del zotto, and guys who don't belong in the NHL like jacob larsson and korbinian holzer

gibson was singlehandedly winning them games the last few seasons but he's not having that same success this season

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Honestly Dallas Eakins could shave 10 wins off of even Tampa Bay if you let him. Anaheim could do real well to dive into the talent rich market of unemployed head coaches right now.

How Eakins finds employment in the league is beyond me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad