Why are injuries so common in Outdoor games?

David Catselhoff

Jan 14, 2005
It seems like anytime I watch one of these Stadium Series outdoor games, someone gets hurt. While injuries are a common occurrence in hockey, why does it seem like every outdoor game someone gets hurt? Are players not properly stretching and warming up? Poor ice quality? Adjusting to playing under different lighting? Just bad luck?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Guys have a weird tendency to back into their goalies when outdoors because of the glare of the lights way off in the distance. It blinds them temporarily so they can't see what's behind them.

allroundfan

Dec 29, 2011
Sweden
It seems like anytime I watch one of these Stadium Series outdoor games, someone gets hurt. While injuries are a common occurrence in hockey, why does it seem like every outdoor game someone gets hurt? Are players not properly stretching and warming up? Poor ice quality? Adjusting to playing under different lighting? Just bad luck?

It may seem that way because outdoor games are less frequent, so you remember them better. Or perhaps players actually do get hurt more often during outdoor games. Before discussing why, it would be interesting to find out if it is actually the case at all.

Edit: Since this is a forum for discussion and not a scientific debate... If we assume it is so, I would guess it mostly has to do with the ice surface being way less predicatable.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think any time you get taken out of your routine there's more chance for injury. These guys are very much creatures of habit. Probably a combination of all those things though.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Im going to say that routine & ice quality are both contributors; a lot of staying healthy in sports is comfort/experience/routine and the outdoor games take a lot of that away. I'm sure it being extra cold doesn't help when you get stung either, and it might be harder to limber up properly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad