Why are arena names so unoriginal and boring?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Except everyone in Chicagoland calls United Center "The UC". Everyone is Toronto calls Air Canada Centre "The ACC".

"The Shark Tank". "The Rock"
etc.

It's gonna happen either way.

This. The only difference is that the company with the naming rights (at least with regards to Rogers here in Toronto) is that they just look like *******s,

People are going to call it what they want. If it was just Rogers Skydome (or Corporate Name + Unique sounding arena) people in the media would still have to throw in the Rogers part. No loss in advertisement and you win some brownie points with the locals for keeping the original/unique name.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Companies that buy naming rights want the name to be boring (Arena, Place, Center, etc) so when people talk about the arena they are forced to do it by the company's name. If Edmonton's new arena was called Rogers Coliseum many would say, 'let's meet at the Coliseum'. You can't really do the same for Arena, Place or Center.

It's crummy but that is what we get for selling naming rights. Boring corporate branding.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't much care what they call their buildings, as long as they keep their boring names and those of other sponsors, off the jerseys.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I miss the FU Center. (First Union Center for those wondering). The fact that it was in Philadelphia made it that much better too :laugh:

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I agree but understand it from the business point of view. Though if you're big enough to get an arena you're probably big enough to have name recognition without it. There must be some new names like Colliseum coming in Canada though as slowly every stadium is owned by Rogers.

Also, it's always gonna be the Metro Center in Halifax, **** the Scotiabank Center.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
images

Pretty much sums it up.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Eventually Rogers will have to start using other synonyms for arena once they take over every stadium in the country. So far they have Rogers Arena, Rogers Place and Rogers Centre, I've heard rumours they are after the naming rights for Calgary as well.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Because they are named after boring corporations in return for millions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad