Why Anže Kopitar should be front-runner for MVP

Puck93

Jun 23, 2014
Kopitar playing in his 12 season (leading scorer in 10) for LA Kings is having his best season yet. He currently has 80 points (29 G 51 A) and has 29 point lead on the second LA kings scorer Drew Doughty (51 P). His most common linemates are Dustin Brown (48 P, third leading scorer) and Alex Iafallo (25 P, undrafted rookie). Their last season leading scorer(Jeff Carter) got injured in the start of this season in which he played only 16 games. Their second line center was most commonly Adrian Kempe (34 P).

He plays second most TOI/GP at 22:00, plays on average 2:14 of PK per game on second best PK in league, second best team in GA, he has 55 even strength points (5. in league, Kings are only 25 in PP/G opportunities), he has 47,7% OFF zone starts, while other Hart candidates are well over 55% (except Giroux 45.5% and Barkov 41.4%). Not only does he leads team by 29 points second best in league (Hall 31P lead), he also plays the role of third defender and is a top contender for Selke trophy. He might not be the most flashy player but he is the kind of player you win games and championships with. Kings are currently third in Pacific, if they qualify for playoffs he should be prime canditate for MVP.

Here is a comparison to other leading Hart trophy candidates :
(point and goal percentages for the top guys in the Hart race)

Malkin 37% 16.8%

Ovechkin 35% 19.4%

MacKinnon 38% 15.2%

Kucherov 35% 13.2%

Kopitar 39% 14%

Hall 36% 14.6%

Giroux 40% 12.5%

Wheeler 33% 7.6%

Barkov 34% 12%

McDavid 44% 16.8%

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
There's like 10-15 guys who you could make case for MVP so there's guaranteed to be some snubs. Kopitar hasn't been talked about enough though, he's been carrying the Kings offense for the whole year and is the primary reason they're in a playoff spot, also worth noting that his production is coming with the 14th most defensive zone starts for forwards in the league.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
MacKinnon is in the lead for me only slightly though. What he is doing on that team is massive, especially after what they went through last year.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Here's why he shouldn't: Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon averages 3:35 pp time/game and :20 penalty kill.

Kopitar averages 2:52 pp time/game and 2:14 pk time on one of the top penalty kill teams.

Kopitar has a 29 point lead on the 2nd leading scorer on the team. MacKinnon has an 11 point lead.

Not convinced with MacKinnon being the winner.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Kopitar has a bigger defensive workload and doesn't have a linemate as good as Rantanen.

Kopitar > MacKinnon

MacKinnon has scored more points in less games and is currently leading a team 12 months removed from a historically bad season into the playoffs.

100% chance MacKinnon gets more votes than Kopitar.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
MacKinnon
Hall

One of Malkin, Kucherov, Wheeler, Kopitar.

If Colorado make the playoffs Nathan MacKinnon
2017- 2018 - Hart Trophy Winner.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I've been pimping Kopitar all season. He won't win, zero chance if the Kings don't make the playoffs, but I bet he finishes top six in the voting.

Ovechkin has scored 20% of his team's goals. That seems pretty valuable.

I don't think Ovechkin is the leagues MVP but I would bet his contribution will be criminally underrated here. He has carried the Caps offense on as many nights as MacKinnon has but Macks points totals are too good.

Reactions: crassbonanza

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Too many forwads in contention. That means no-one really is truly ahead of the pack.

Maybe Rinne should win the Hart.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You knew that the OP would be well researched just by the proper accent on his first name in the title.

Kopitar has a chance at it if LA makes the playoffs, especially if Colorado doesn't. He's doing everything that he can to drag LA there. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much help. He's likely stepped up because others haven't been producing (some of which was due to Carter being injured), much like Carter stepped last year when Kopitar wasn't producing. It's a bit counter-intuitive, but, if Carter had been healthy this year, Kopitar probably wouldn't be having this career year. I wouldn't be surprised if his pace slows eventually, now that Carter is back, hurting his Hart chances, but I would love to be wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Faterson

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Just for comparison, each of those 3 highest point line mate
Stamkos has 82 points
Rantanan has 74 points
Brown has 48 points

Mack has 11 more points than ratanan
Kuch has 9 more points than Stamkos
Kopitar has 32 more points than brown

that's pretty ridiculous, granted I still see Kucherov or mackinnon winning.... but I think kopitar should get 3rd at the very least(if he finishes the season with 90+ points) I also think Taylor Hall should be in the discussion too(he is 31 points ahead of anyone on his team)

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Just for comparison, each of those 3 highest point line mate
Stamkos has 82 points
Rantanan has 74 points
Brown has 48 points

Mack has 11 more points than ratanan
Kuch has 9 more points than Stamkos
Kopitar has 32 more points than brown

that's pretty ridiculous, granted I still see Kucherov or mackinnon winning.... but I think kopitar should get 3rd at the very least(if he finishes the season with 90+ points) I also think Taylor Hall should be in the discussion too(he is 31 points ahead of anyone on his team)
Just to add, neither of the three others including Hall would be anywhere near the Selke voting on top of the points thing.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I wouldn't mind seeing it happen, but I don't think it will. That's just not the way voting typically goes.

If Colorado makes the playoffs, I think MacKinnon wins it. If he doesn't, it goes to Kucherov.

Reactions: feffan

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wouldn't mind seeing it happen, but I don't think it will. That's just not the way voting typically goes.

If Colorado makes the playoffs, I think MacKinnon wins it. If he doesn't, it goes to Kucherov.

That's kinda how I see it going, but I think just being a finalist would be pretty awesome for a guy like Kopitar who was always labeled a selke caliber player and nothing else.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
That's kinda how I see it going, but I think just being a finalist would be pretty awesome for a guy like Kopitar who was always labeled a selke caliber player and nothing else.

No argument from me. He deserves the recognition.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I contemplated making this thread several times, but honestly I was waiting to see if any other fans even noticed

Reactions: KingTrouty

Puck93

Jun 23, 2014
I contemplated making this thread several times, but honestly I was waiting to see if any other fans even noticed
Same but got tired of Hall/MacKinnon narrative from other teams fans. The only thing holding Kopitar back is playing on west coast and lack of media exposure. The thing that triggers me the most is using AINEC when describing Hall/MacKinnon/Malkin MVP chances. Kopitar is doing just as much with less fire power from teammates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->