Why a Canadian prospect can't go in Russia? and question for Dr.Chimera...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
A lot of Czech and Russians prospects goes in the Canadian Hockey League. But why there is no Canadians or Americans prodigy who decide to play in 1st Division of Russia (or Another Country) after made already an impact in Major Junior?

I think that for Crosby, next year, to play in Russia could be great for him. A real new challenge...

It's easy for him the Major Junior. This year, the league is good for him. But next year, He can losing his time.. he is already the 1st scorer...

I know that's WILL NOT HAPPENS. i'm not dupe....

But why not?

next year in europe, the leagues will be boosted by some NHLer.. So its gonna be A GREAT CHALLENGE

Any thougth?
@Dr.Chimera: It's no secret, you're an expert about russians prospects. I would like to know if you think Crosby it's could be good for some hot Canadians prospect (Like Spezza was.. like Crosby is) to play one year in europe...

Do you think Crosby could earn a spot in the 1st league Russia like Ovechkin did at such a young age?

If it's good for a lot of euros to comes over in north american.. Why it's may not be good for somes canadians/usa to go in Europe?

evman150*

Pretty simple explanation why no Canadians go to play in Russia.

No Canadians WANT to go to Russia and play. I can only speak for myself here, but if I were a guy like Crosby or whomever, I wouldn't even think about it. There are just way too many cons. Language barrier, long way from home, the fact that it's russia you're going to.

Sweden or Finland maybe. Russia? Hell no.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think another thing is that all these players goal is the NHL which is in North America. European kids that come over may do so to gain better competition, or to adapt to a North American lifestyle and english, etc. I don't think you'll ever see it happen.

eh

For some prospects who are too young to play anywhere else than in the juniors, but are already too good to remain there (such as Crosby, supposedly), it might make sense to play a year or two in Europe. However, not too many players are good enough at the age of 17-19 to actually make an impact in an European top league and that's usually what's wanted from foreign players.

The goal of the top league teams in Europe is not to develop talent for the NHL, but to succeed and if the prospect isn't good enough to help the team to succeed, he won't play (much). It doesn't do any good to anyone's development to sit on the bench/pressbox.

The adaption to a different culture, different language, different coaching methods, different kind of training, different kind of play etc. might be too much of a risk factor. But for some players, it could be a great way to adapt to playing against adults at a younger age than it could be possible to play against adults in any competitive league in the North America.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The adaption to a different culture, different language, different coaching methods, different kind of training, different kind of play etc. might be too much of a risk factor.

But the great players always fight through adversity. It wouldn't be all that bad if Crosby broke all kinds of records over the next two years in the Q, but imagine how highly his stock would raise if he dominated the Q as a 16 year old and then proved he could hold his own in the pro game at 17? Be it Finland, or Switzerland, or where ever.

At the pace he's going, Canadian juniors just won't be any kind of challenge for him whatsoever.

Dr_Chimera*

Several reasons:

a) They feel a sense of responsibility towards their CHL team/rapport with teammates.
b) The challenge of adapting to a new culture and language is usually a bit much to handle for a teenager (Euro kids do it, because it's an investment towards the future, obviously).
c) If the kid is a prodigy, as you say, he'll probably shoot for an NHL roster spot by the time he's 18 or 19, so what's the point?
d) The fact that few people would want to stay in Russia for long (partly due to ignorance and partly due to fact).
e) Parents - they don't want to see their kids far away.
f) Canadians are not adventurous types (most - it's just a fact). I remember seeing some interviews of Canadian Juniors back at the Pardubice WJC's (you might recall). What a great city, but they just kept whining as to how miserable they were. They're too young to know better.

As for your question - yes, Crosby most likely would play in the RS if he tried out. Svitov played there at 16, although he may have been more suited to the 4th line role. But it's no secret that Crosby is a special player.

Edit: actually one more thing. Role models - Crosby probably looks at a player like Mario Lemieux who played for, I think, three years in the Q and broke a bunch of records (certainly turned out ok).

G-Double

Aug 5, 2002
left coast
Visit site
Isn't there also the problem of him being drafted out of a european league and therefore being treated as a "european" under the cba? I guess that wouldn't matter depending on the new cba...

damn random thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->