why 82 games

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Money...I guess...

I don't think there's much history, just kind of a random number. It was 84 games in 1993 I think, and 80 a little while before that...

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Well baseball plays..what...164?

I guess that's what the NHL felt was appropriate for the players to play considering stamina, and money. Mostly money.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
i know that but does it related to a certain number of games against certain teams

I don't really follow the NBA much these days but I do know they had a drastic overhaul in their divisional alignments within the past few seasons. It used to be a four division League but, when it was, 82 games were played then, too. I do believe that every team plays home and away against every other team at least once unlike the NHL.

The NHL jumped from 70 games to 74 the first year of expansion for the 1967-68 season. The League went from six teams to 12 teams. The following season, they increased to 76 games despite remaining a 12-team League.

When they added Vancouver and Buffalo for the 1970-71 season, the League increased the games to 78 for its 14-team League. It remained 78 with further expansion until the 1974-75 season when the 18-team League had 80 games and the divisions changed from two to four (two 5-team divisions and two 4-team divisions).

In 1992-93, the NHL increased to 84 games when Ottawa and Tampa Bay joined and there were neutral site games added to the schedule. 84 games were played the following season, too, then came the 48-game shortened season and then for the 1995-96 season, the NHL reduced the games to 82.

Last edited:

jemo27

May 29, 2007
rural victoria, Aust
has there every been a time since 1967 when any team could possibly meet any other team in the Stanley Cup or since 67 has the stanley cup always been split along divisions and conferneces

for example today the islanders and rangers can never meet in the Stanley Cup finals or Montreal can never meet Toronto

rmchahn

Apr 13, 2007
has there every been a time since 1967 when any team could possibly meet any other team in the Stanley Cup or since 67 has the stanley cup always been split along divisions and conferneces

for example today the islanders and rangers can never meet in the Stanley Cup finals or Montreal can never meet Toronto

After the NHL went to 2 divisions in 1967, for the first 3 years, the SC finalists were always from each division. In 1971, that changed so that for semi-finals there was a crossover of divisions, so for e.g. in 1971 Montreal (east div) played Minnesota (west div) and thus you had the all east finals in 1972 between the Bruins and the Rangers. From then til about the late 80's or the early 90's anyone could meet anyone for the SC. Then they went to a divisional format where the first 2 rounds were played within the division. The survivors from each division were the semi-finalists. The 2 divisional winners from the Campbell Conf. played each other and the 2 from the Wales conf. played each other. Then the winners from the respective conferences played for the Stanley Cup. Then they changed to the current format (can't say exactly when) of conference playdowns and the conference winners meet in the finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad