Post-Game Talk: WHT PSH 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
If you follow Elliotte Friedman on Twitter he sometimes trolls his followers by having some nonsensical team abbreviations. Just going with that.

yeA9aQt.jpg

I remember VCRs

Reactions: Hivemind and max21

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Sadly I am. Kuz hasn't been the same since the cup run and probably isn't good enough at the moment to get a solid goalie in return.
I think you greatly exaggerate the value of goaltenders and significantly underestimate the value of a top pairing defenseman and top six center. Would be a horrible use of assets that would significantly set this team back.

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
I think you greatly exaggerate the value of goaltenders and significantly underestimate the value of a top pairing defenseman and top six center. Would be a horrible use of assets that would significantly set this team back.
I get it and I'm probably being a bit drastic but if there is one glaring sore spot for the Caps right now...we know what it is.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I think its still too early in Laviolettes tenure to make any firm decisions on how Kuzy will fare in this system. During the Reirden time wasnt he one of the more vocal players against using advanced stats telling a player what to do in any given situation and wanted to be more free flowing organic hockey. With that said, perhaps he is a B- player and not the A- player we had hoped for. Hes just a passive player that sometimes plays with fire.

------------------
Im a bit confused on some things and didnt really understand the answers when I googled.

Can someone please explain why Copley isnt being called up/getting some starts?

Why Anderson was put on taxi squad yesterday, Fucale called up but Anderson listed as tonights backup?

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I think its still too early in Laviolettes tenure to make any firm decisions on how Kuzy will fare in this system. During the Reirden time wasnt he one of the more vocal players against using advanced stats telling a player what to do in any given situation and wanted to be more free flowing organic hockey. With that said, perhaps he is a B- player and not the A- player we had hoped for. Hes just a passive player that sometimes plays with fire.

------------------
Im a bit confused on some things and didnt really understand the answers when I googled.

Can someone please explain why Copley isnt being called up/getting some starts?

Why Anderson was put on taxi squad yesterday, Fucale called up but Anderson listed as tonights backup?

Playing games to fit them all under the Salary cap

Reactions: Neil Racki

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I get it and I'm probably being a bit drastic but if there is one glaring sore spot for the Caps right now...we know what it is.
Yeah they've had a rough go in net. Vanecek was likely pegged as their taxi squad goalie behind Samsonov and Lundqvist and now he's started 11 straight. Not great. But, the surest way to make the situation worse though is to trade two of your better players to fill a position that's pretty random when it comes to performance and about as valuable as running backs are in football. There is a reason teams don't pay goaltenders top dollar long term and if you look at goaltenders making > $5M this year in terms of cap hit, of which there are 15 of them, I think I count four that have a positive expected goals against. Some of the priciest goalies are some of the worst in the league right now led by Price, Bobrovsky, Jones, Quick, and Murray.

If a goalie is expensive you probably don't want him and if a goalie is cheap (and good) then a team isn't going to give him up.

Reactions: Neil Racki

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Certainly can’t be argued Orlov has been one of our best players this year - does he just not fit within Laviolette’s system? The D have combined for 31 points to date, yet Orlov has 0 in 8 games played. His possession numbers don’t look great either, especially given he’s seeing fewer, slightly easier minutes. What gives?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Certainly can’t be argued Orlov has been one of our best players this year - does he just not fit within Laviolette’s system? The D have combined for 31 points to date, yet Orlov has 0 in 8 games played. His possession numbers don’t look great either, especially given he’s seeing fewer, slightly easier minutes. What gives?
You mean Orlov HASN'T been one of our best players, right?

Reactions: HecticGlow

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Jensen instead of TVR - boo
Panik instead of Sprong - boo

Kuzy has played ONE game in about a month - before trading him perhaps we should see how he does in a couple more games?

Need to win (alot) more faceoffs - unfortunately that's unlikely to magically happen overnight...

I wonder if Dowd can avoid taking an offensive zone penalty?

Reactions: CapsCrazyX17

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Jensen instead of TVR - boo
Panik instead of Sprong - boo

Kuzy has played ONE game in about a month - before trading him perhaps we should see how he does in a couple more games?

Need to win (alot) more faceoffs - unfortunately that's unlikely to magically happen overnight...

I wonder if Dowd can avoid taking an offensive zone penalty?
Crosby and Malkin can expose a team on faceoffs in a hurry... just be glad we dont play them every game.. oh wait :(

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The whole team?

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the Capitals team-wide rankings in a bunch of different metrics are right next to their 26th ranked goaltending. The only part of this team that is working well this season in the powerplay.

Not to mention, they still have a potential solution to their goalie issues already in house with Samsonov. And at the very least, Sammy can help balance out VV's workload.

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
The whole team?

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the Capitals team-wide rankings in a bunch of different metrics are right next to their 26th ranked goaltending. The only part of this team that is working well this season in the powerplay.

Not to mention, they still have a potential solution to their goalie issues already in house with Samsonov. And at the very least, Sammy can help balance out VV's workload.
We have put up 3 or more goals a game all season outside of one game (that we won). That should be enough to win. D and goaltending are hurting.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
If a lot of the goals VV is letting in are coming from a distance, could part of the problem be that the Caps’ one-on-one system is providing too much traffic and blocked sight lines for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad