Whose generation is best? (please read the OP)

Whose generation is best? (please read the OP)

• Morenz/Shore's generation

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Howe/Beliveau's generation

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Orr/Potvin's generation

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Gretzky/Lemieux's generation

Votes: 102 68.9%
  • Crosby/Ovechkin's generation

Votes: 31 20.9%

• Total voters

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Is it the era you grew up with?

To be fair, beyond overall speed and skill level the games back then had far more entertainment value with the fights and theatrics, rivalries, etc. That's why the 1990s had the best of both worlds.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I thought about it. These are extremely rough numbers, but it's basically:

1. 1923
2. 1943
3. 1963
4. 1983
5. 2003 - present

I don't like how those are grouped up. I think that 80's and 90's should be apart because of all the trapping in the 90's. Put the 90's at the end and i agree

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd be careful before I made such generalizations. Comparing the equipment they wear now (particularly the skates and sticks) compared to what they wore even in the early 90's, never mind the decades before then, like night and day. The way the game is played is also different - 40 second shifts compared to 2-4 minute shifts.

No, I wouldn't automatically assume your assertion at all.
If Gordie Howe was born in 1997, he'd probably be the best player in the league right now. However, if Howe stepped into a time machine in 1953 with all his gear and tried to play in 2019, I have no idea how he'd do.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Why no McDavid/Kucherov generation?

It has only just begun, I think they have to play through at least the prime of their careers before they can be a part of this and have any chance of accuracy. Right now neither of them has been able to bring any playoff success to their teams, it wouldn't be fair to judge them on that because they will probably both have considerable playoff success in their careers. As of right now they have never been the kind of playoff difference maker most of us think they could be. They would be in last place if I had to include them right now. Most of the other players on that list are playoff MVPs. A lot of their generation is just beginning their careers and have barely played. I can't judge an entire generation that has barely played.

That's how I look at it anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brooklyn

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Easily Gretzky-Lemieux. That era was hockey’s version of Ali-Frazier, Nicklaus-Palmer, Bird-Magic, Messi-Ronaldo and Federer-Nadal-Djokovic.

Multiple GOAT candidates playing in the same era. Then after that, you got the GOAT goalie in Hasek, a GOAT goalie in Roy and other ATG players like Jagr, Lidstrom, Bourque, Yzerman, Bure, Federov, Messier, Murphy, Francis, Sakic, Chelios, Lindros, Coffey, Kariya, Selanne, etc.

Produced some of the NHL’s most dominant teams like the 80’s Oilers, early 90’s Penguins and late 90’s Red Wings.

Last edited:
Reactions: elmaco and Brooklyn

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Why no McDavid/Kucherov generation?
2011 draft is kinda the border of those generations. It also hasn't come out in full force yet, still haven't gotten the full harvest of the 2017 draft yet either. Let alone 18'

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Gretzky /Lemieux. Aside from them two (the two greatest players to ever play the game) the 80s and 90s were chock full of so many legends, I won't even bother to list them because i'd be here all day.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Easily Gretzky-Lemieux. That era was hockey’s version of Ali-Frazier, Nicklaus-Palmer, Bird-Magic, Messi-Ronaldo and Federer-Nadal-Djokovic.

Multiple GOAT candidates playing in the same era. Then after that, you got the GOAT goalie in Hasek, a GOAT goalie in Roy and other ATG players like Jagr, Lidstrom, Bourque, Yzerman, Bure, Federov, Messier, Murphy, Francis, Sakic, Chelios, Lindros, Coffey, Kariya, Selanne, etc.

Produced some of the NHL’s most dominant teams like the 80’s Oilers, early 90’s Penguins and late 90’s Red Wings.
For what it's worth, Lidstrom had some of his best seasons after Mario and Wayne retired.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think this generation gets underrated because people like to live in the "glory days" and also its much harder for a star to seperate themselves from the pack. Everyone these days has taken nutrition and training to the next level, 4th lines need to be able to provide quality minutes some some kind of offensive ability.

Reactions: bebl and c3z4r

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->