Whose generation is best? (please read the OP)

Whose generation is best? (please read the OP)

• Morenz/Shore's generation

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Howe/Beliveau's generation

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Orr/Potvin's generation

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Gretzky/Lemieux's generation

Votes: 102 68.9%
  • Crosby/Ovechkin's generation

Votes: 31 20.9%

• Total voters

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
Whose generation is best? I will use two players to represent a generation, but you're comparing generations to generations. You're NOT comparing one player to another such as Howe vs Orr.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Best at what?

Obviously hockey players are better now than they were in the past, although they don't stand out as much because the competition is so even.

If you're talking about the best hockey to watch as a fan, then Gretzky and Lemieux's era was more exciting. They had the best balance of skill and passion. Now there's more skill, but far less passion.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Obviously hockey players are better now than they were in the past, although they don't stand out as much because the competition is so even.
I'd be careful before I made such generalizations. Comparing the equipment they wear now (particularly the skates and sticks) compared to what they wore even in the early 90's, never mind the decades before then, like night and day. The way the game is played is also different - 40 second shifts compared to 2-4 minute shifts.

No, I wouldn't automatically assume your assertion at all.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
I'd be careful before I made such generalizations. Comparing the equipment they wear now (particularly the skates and sticks) compared to what they wore even in the early 90's, never mind the decades before then, like night and day. The way the game is played is also different - 40 second shifts compared to 2-4 minute shifts.

No, I wouldn't automatically assume your assertion at all.
Really? You don't think the average player is better now than before?

Even forgetting equipment and shift time, the amount of training that hockey players go through starting at a very young age is far more than what they did back then. Players, on average, are far more talented and are far more athletic. The medical science has improved greatly now as well and are able to see what brings the best out in players.

I don't think hockey players are inherently better now - they're better because they train and work harder and more efficiently.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Gretzky/Lemieux did have a great host of defensemen and goalies - Roy, Hasek, Belfour, Bourque, Leetch, Chelios, MacInnis, Coffey, Stevens etc.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I don't think hockey players are inherently better now - they're better because they train and work harder and more efficiently.
That, to me, is a different statement. Add equipment to that as well (because I can post a bunch of photos from 60 years ago that show at least aesthetically NHLers of the past in at least as good of shape as those of today), and the way the game is played. The game would look the same speed as the early 70's if the shifts were the same length.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
To me, there was a 20 to 22 year stretch between the early 1970s and early 1990's that simply can't be beat in terms of entertainment, excitement... you name it. The game back then had everything, the stars really seemed like stars, and you were able to stockpile some squads that were virtually all-star teams.

The game is in good shape now, but for me, it is way below that chunk of time which lasted longer than the "eras" listed in this poll.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Overall generation - this generation by FAR. Like - it's not even remotely kind of close. The worst player today is better than the worst player in past generations.

But if we're talking about elite talent - Gretzky/Lemieux. If you also include guys like Jagr, Hasek, Roy, Sakic, Lindros, etc...yeah, hard to beat.

Difficult to answer though without specifying a bit more what you mean

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Gretzky/Lemieux did have a great host of defensemen and goalies - Roy, Hasek, Belfour, Bourque, Leetch, Chelios, MacInnis, Coffey, Stevens etc.
Part of it is how long are we counting the generations. Howe's generation technically includes both Orr and Wayne. So I guess his?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Really? You don't think the average player is better now than before?

Even forgetting equipment and shift time, the amount of training that hockey players go through starting at a very young age is far more than what they did back then. Players, on average, are far more talented and are far more athletic. The medical science has improved greatly now as well and are able to see what brings the best out in players.

I think people always misunderstand this. The players are better overall, goalies are far better, and yes once again that's because of equipment and technique, defensive coverage and positional play are also far better, but the main point is that because of all this it's simply much harder to separate yourself from the rest. It's common sense and not a jab at past players.

I know it's always controversial to say it but I'll take it a step further and say that the best players today actually are better because of the same reasons, although I'm iffy on Lemieux there and recently retired players like Jagr and Forsberg still compare quite well of course.

Last edited:

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
I think people always misunderstand this. The players are better overall, goalies are far better, and yes once again that's because of equipment and technique, defensive coverage and positional play are also far better, but the main point is that because of all this it's simply much harder to separate yourself from the rest. It's common sense and not a jab at past players.

I know it's always controversial to say it but I'll take it a step further and say that the best players today actually are better because of the same reasons, although I'm iffy on Lemieux there and recently retired players like Jagr and Forsberg still compare quite well of course.
Yeah I’m with you. I’ll throw Gretzky (and maybe a few others) in there too, because he was just so much smarter than everyone playing and you can’t teach that.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yeah I’m with you. I’ll throw Gretzky (and maybe a few others) in there too, because he was just so much smarter than everyone playing and you can’t teach that.

Gretzky would be great no matter what. Just how great he would be with todays advantages is hard to tell, although I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be close to the dominance he displayed in the 80s. However, I firmly believe that Gretzky as he was in his prime would not be better than the best players today, or even as good if you use the time machine scenario, which absolutely is not a fair way to compare players, but the point is that the game has evolved that much, in my opinion.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Gretzky would be great no matter what. Just how great he would be with todays advantages is hard to tell, although I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be close to the dominance he displayed in the 80s. However, I firmly believe that Gretzky as he was in his prime would not be better than the best players today, or even as good if you use the time machine scenario, which absolutely is not a fair way to compare players, but the point is that the game has evolved that much, in my opinion.
Well he certainly wouldn’t be as dominant, but I think you’d be surprised. If he had a little time to get used to the new equipment and strategies, I think he’d be able to keep up with the best for sure. Obviously he wouldn’t be able to keep up with them physically but he’d be smart enough to put up a ton of points still.

I’m also a huge Gretzky fan so it is possible I’m biased haha.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Howe's generation. Pretty much every game was like an all-star game. Can you imagine the NHL compacted into a handful of teams for an entire season?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
To me, there was a 20 to 22 year stretch between the early 1970s and early 1990's that simply can't be beat in terms of entertainment, excitement... you name it. The game back then had everything, the stars really seemed like stars, and you were able to stockpile some squads that were virtually all-star teams.

The game is in good shape now, but for me, it is way below that chunk of time which lasted longer than the "eras" listed in this poll.

Is it the era you grew up with?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Well he certainly wouldn’t be as dominant, but I think you’d be surprised. If he had a little time to get used to the new equipment and strategies, I think he’d be able to keep up with the best for sure. Obviously he wouldn’t be able to keep up with them physically but he’d be smart enough to put up a ton of points still.

I’m also a huge Gretzky fan so it is possible I’m biased haha.

Well, he was the greatest player in the history of not just hockey but arguably any sport, so it's not exactly a hot take. I just happen to think that in terms of actual ability he would be clearly behind the Crosby, Ovechkin and McDavids of the world, and they actually grew up with the game becoming what it was today so who's to say their anticipation wouldn't also be better for todays game? But once again I could be entirely wrong, and I'm a huge Gretzky fan as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad