Who's your teams steal from the 2011 Draft

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Troy Vance.

Had the kid played in the Q the entire year, he could've been a 1st round pick if he played like he did in the last few games for the entire season.

Didn't have much of a rookie tournament showing (-1 in an 8-2 blowout) but he's looked solid and everyone on the Stars' board thinks he'll be better than Oleksiak by the time it all pans out.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Swiss players are steals.

This year Baertschi ... and Gregory Hoffman.

Not talking about the ones not having been drafted.

The era of soft swiss players is over. They are hardworking kids that generaly have a good IQ, which often translates into a good Hockey IQ

in other words ... for the time being .... draft a swiss and you get a steal.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
Beaulieu AINEC.

AINEC, really? That's ridiculous to say anyone is the steal of the draft by that much this early (even if the pool of names is restricted to one team). I mean, how can you even be that confident when none of these guys has even played an NHL game yet? It is close by simple virtue of the fact that no one has had an opportunity to create any separation from the rest of the pack at all yet.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Tobias Rieder....the fact he was still there for the Oilers to take in the 4th round was dumb luck....he's a little on the small side, but has tremendous upside offensively.

He's almost a forgotten selection amongst oiler fans with two local guys (Simpson and Ewanyk) getting attention as well as Gernat (who was apparently in the Oilers top 20). But I came on here to post Rieder being a steal as well. With Landeskog likely not playing I think he will be their goto guy offensively. He was selected 5th overall in the CHL import draft so he has the talent. He clearly has time to work on his game but im really excited to see if he can ever crack the oilers lineup.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
He's almost a forgotten selection amongst oiler fans with two local guys (Simpson and Ewanyk) getting attention as well as Gernat (who was apparently in the Oilers top 20). But I came on here to post Rieder being a steal as well. With Landeskog likely not playing I think he will be their goto guy offensively. He was selected 5th overall in the CHL import draft so he has the talent. He clearly has time to work on his game but im really excited to see if he can ever crack the oilers lineup.

Gernat in the Top 20? Seems improbable. He went at #122 in the 5th. Obviously teams lists will look very different and where players are picked doesn't automatically represent where they were ranked in their teams lists, it seems difficult to believe Gernat was in their Top 20. He was their 8th pick, indicating that the 7 previous picks were also in their Top 20. I find this astonishingly hard to believe.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Everyone the Hawks drafted :sarcasm:

Brandon Saad is turning heads left and right.

Maxim Shalunov has 6 goals in 4 MHL games. It's the Russian AHL, but it's an impressive feat anyway.

Johan Mattsson (2011 Mr. Irrelevant) made a solid case to be Team Sweden's 1B the WJC U20 Lake Placid camp.

Sam Jardine got invited to Team Canada's World Junior A Challenge training camp.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Prince did not fall do to the head injury. He was already ranked out of the first round before that hit, and it was not considered that serious. He was back playing in the playoffs and did not miss many games.

He was ranked, and went, so low due to concerns about his size.

I get to see him a lot and he is a great junior player. The concerns going forward are valid, but I personally think he has the speed and drive to make a good go at it.

Yeah Prince is a good player. At this stage, I'd say he's better than anyone we picked besides Zibanejad.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Swiss players are steals.

This year Baertschi ... and Gregory Hoffman.

Not talking about the ones not having been drafted.

The era of soft swiss players is over. They are hardworking kids that generaly have a good IQ, which often translates into a good Hockey IQ

in other words ... for the time being .... draft a swiss and you get a steal.
I just got back from watching Bartschi, man o man this kid has some serious skill,shot,smarts and is surprisingly very solid on his skates, he's suppose to be 5'10/185lbs but he looks bigger and plays a way bigger.

The way he's going flames may have a hard decision on what to do with this kid this year.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I would also echo that sentiment, but thats also at the OHL level. Great OHL players do not always make even mediocre NHL players, and that is where the scouts thinks Prince is, one of the great OHL'ers that cannot make an impact at the NHL level. I'm certainly rooting for him to prove them wrong though.

Oh, I don't disagree at all. But I've watched tons of kids come through the 67s system throughout the years and Prince's game IMO will transition well to pro because of: strong hockey IQ and hockey sense, underrated shot, great vision, good stride and strong all around game. He's imo one of the safer players to make it pro that the 67's have produced in a while.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Gregory Hofmann was great today in the first scrimmage. Played on a line with Riley Nash and Chris Terry and had a couple helpers and an empty net goal. One of his apples was on a perfect no-look pass that Terry easily finished off. From all accounts he displayed great end-to-end speed and vision.

startainfection*

im surprised mayfield wasnt taken with the oilers 2nd rounder and im glad he wasnt

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Not a lot to choose from in the Penguins draft class, having only two picks out of the first 143 selections and nobody knowing anything about our last two picks (a high schooler and an OJHLer).

Scott Harrington pretty much wins by default at this stage.

As a Knights season ticket holder I thought going in anyone taking him before the late third was really reaching. But the Penguins obviously like him already signing him to a contract.

I'm not really a big fan of labeling anybody a steal after playing virtually no meaningless games since the draft but I never thought Hamilton would fall to nine, really liked Khoklachev at 40th (I personally prefer him to Namestnikov who went 28th) and Ferlin is the obvious choice for best chance at being a late round steal.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I just got back from watching Bartschi, man o man this kid has some serious skill,shot,smarts and is surprisingly very solid on his skates, he's suppose to be 5'10/185lbs but he looks bigger and plays a way bigger.

The way he's going flames may have a hard decision on what to do with this kid this year.

As an avs fan i hate to say that i think he will be the steal of the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->