Who's your teams steal from the 2011 Draft

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
I'm gonna say Jensen. Big body, good skater, hard worker, and he made some beauty passes in camp so far. This guy could end up alongside the Twins or Kesler in the future. Might not put up huge points, but I think he could be a very good complementary top 6 forward.

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Shane Prince. Stood out big time at the rookie tournament against older competition. Amazing vision and playmaking also showed a physical side to his game.

Agreed. Tons of skill, no fear in his game (might not be a good thing). He just needs to put on some more muscle to not get busted apart by bigger wingers. Great pick for a 2nd rounder.

Pageau also has steal potential, and Filatov if he counts lol.

Kingler

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Not sure how to answer the question...

Would steal in this sense mean: players that you think should have been drafted higher that somehow fell to your team because Professional Scouts decides to pass on them?

Because quite frankly, there has been very little to no additional data since the end of last season to further evaluate these prospects...yes there has been some rookies tourney here and there but come on now...

If this question was post in 2012 then i can see the validity but for now its just a guessing game base on your perception that the prospects was drafted below what you think his true draft slot should have been

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I must say that I was rather pleased with all of the '11 Oilers class that made it to rookie camp (Rieder, Gernat, Musil, and of course RNH).

richardsequalscup*

Yes, it was NJ. I'm interested to see how he pans out. Leading the USHL in scoring is nothing to sneeze at.

Devils fans are more excited about Reid Boucher, who could have a very big year playing on Sarnia's top line with Yakupov and Galchenyuk.

Past the first pick, the Devils draft was rated as garbage by every good scouting site.

You guys got Michael St. Croix too, he could be a great pickup.

For the Ducks, the concencus is that Max Friberg was a great pick.

Pleased McColgan fell to us. He was thought of as being a potential first round pick at one point. If he gets off to a good start in the AHL when he goes there, Rangers might have something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Nermark in the fourth round might be one since he isn't completely devoid of offensive skill, but it is way too early to project.

Most of the guys from later rounds that people get excited about are high skill guys. But there is a reason why they despite their high skill dropped as they did so projecting them to boom is more a reflection of HF optimism than anything else. If you use the same optimism for that defensive dman you picked in the third round, he'll be an impressive guy too.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
There were also a lot of questions on whether he was a passenger to Toffoli and Martindale which I've always said is false. I believe Prince is the straw that stirs the drink.

I would also echo that sentiment, but thats also at the OHL level. Great OHL players do not always make even mediocre NHL players, and that is where the scouts thinks Prince is, one of the great OHL'ers that cannot make an impact at the NHL level. I'm certainly rooting for him to prove them wrong though.

Based only on the Rookie tourney results.. Prince and Saad looked stronger than their draft positions would have you believe.

Perhaps, but this was against players of somewhat equal caliber. There is some level of having to predict how players will pan out against NHL players vs OHL players, regardless of how they do now.

For example, no one would likely argue Cory Locke in a rookie game would have looked great when he left the OHL, but there were deficiencies in his game that talent at that level could not exploit, but the pro's could.

The ultimate test is against seasoned NHL'ers, not players within their own class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Adam Lowry - If the kid can grow into his frame, he will be a beast of a player. Already has outstanding IQ, uses his body, and his hands are decent. Needs to work on skating (apparently that's what he did this summer) and bulking up.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Here's the one from the 2006 draft:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=258888

I like how the opening post is right on the money. :lol:

Quite a few called Clutterbuck, Marchand and Reimer as steals, but most names... I don't even recognize.

Marc The Habs Fan at post #12 hit it bang on when he said...."Claude Giroux, 5 years from now he could be one of the better offensive forwards out of this draft. i really believe it's possible." well done!! :clap:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
For the Ducks I'd say Max Friburg. He made some scout's top 50 lists and in some cases was projected to be an early 2cd round pick. We got him in the 5th round, and he's been impressing with team Sweden.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Nermark, as far as biggest steal id say McColgan by NYR in the 5th round

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
If anyone at this point, like others have said, Shane Prince looked better than the late 2nd rounder that he was. Kept up with Zibanejad and Petersson and gave them a lot of room to work with using his speed and solid checking. Sounds like he's kicked off main camp looking pretty good too.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
Another B's fan already mentioned him, but Brian Ferlin would be the guy that might be a late bloomer. By all accounts he had a solid WJC camp after being a late invite, and he was strong in the Bruins rookie camp.

Realistically, though, Ferlin is just as likely to play four years of college and not get offered a contract as he is to end up a "steal" as a 4th rounder. We won't know anything about anybody picked after the 2nd round for at least 2 years most likely.

squidz*

For the Wild it's probably Phillips.

Judging from prospect camp, the rookie tourny, and the broadcast portions of training camp, the skating concerns weren't just overblown, they were flat out wrong. He needs to learn what does and does not work against NHL defenders (those cute plays only work in juniors) but otherwise he looks ready to step into the NHL right now.

The other possible steal for the Wild is Lucia. He has a year of USHL, then as many as 4 years of NCAA play before he even sees the AHL, but he was seen as a possible late first and just trickled down to the end of the second. We might have to wait more than 5 years to know on him though.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I'm not going to list my team's first round pick(s) at this point, because it just seems silly, so I'll say Josh Leivo for the Leafs is going to be a steal if anyone is.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Quite a few called Clutterbuck, Marchand and Reimer as steals, but most names... I don't even recognize.

Funny to read retrospectively, though some people were pretty on point.

This year for the Devils I'd say Reid Boucher. Reece Scarlett might surprise some people as well.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Hey I was wrong on 2...(Lacroix, Chaput). Azevedo is still in the mix though...he's still very small....

But I did have the 2009 Calder Winner...:D What he does after is not my problem...;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad