Speculation: Who's the next Gallagher / Galchenyuk?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
1. When he got traded to the habs alot of people on this board thought he spoke french.

2. A few posters thought he was the son of Raymond Bourque.

That's nice. I was on the anti-Bourque bandwagon for a while too, but I think his play has been respectable for long enough that people should adapt. He is no longer part of the problem.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
ok what's with the hate (not specifically you) on gionta and bourque? I only saw 2 games so far but it seems like they are playing ok

we will need veterans like them in the playoffs

i'm actually ok with Bourque and don't hate Gionta - just think he is now injury prone, overpaid and far too small on a team with too many small forwards. We simply don't have enough puck winners in the top 9. I wouldn't resign him.

Gomez91

Fala!!
Nov 27, 2011
Where I want
Gionta, Bourque, Desharnais, Briere all better wake the **** up.

I like a center group of Galchenyuk, Eller, Plekanecs and Bournival moving forward - but on the wings outside of Maxpac and Gallagher--yikes.

What? Funny watching the game last night especially, Briere to me is a great play maker. He is new to the system snake bitten for a goal but definitely can and has shown a 36 year can contribute and play on this team.

Despite all the negative talk on this board like your comment "he should wake up!" Height he is short but Briere proves he can play taller as the season moves on I think he will get better.

Mar 1, 2002
Non-Montreal fan poking my head in to say I absolutely love Gallagher.

1)Because I love how he plays

2)Because he's a prospect I was right about (for once)

He's going to be good for a long time, that's a great line of youngsters you have.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Why do people hate Bourque?

Kostitsynitis...they expect him to be something he's not because he's previously scored 27 goals.

I think he's been working hard at least under MT. He has very low hockey IQ and doesn't really have much skill besides a good shot that always seems to hit the post.

I'm glad he's finally away from Plekanec because he's a black hole with the puck, but he's doing his job physically.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Hudon and Lehkonen I believe have the best potential to become top 6 forwards, Mccarron also I believe will be an NHLer but nothing on par with the Gally's I can see him peaking at 20-25 and providing a necessary physical presence.

On the other hand I'm starting to think Collberg's development will hurt him long term and if I had to lay a bet I'd put my money on him never becoming a full time NHL'er, I'd love nothing more but to eat crow on this one.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
yeah despite what people think of him, im sure he could bring back a mid round pick.

And under the new CBA, you can only "bury" the first $975,000 of a contract in the minors. The rest stays on your cap.

In Bergevin's defence though, it's like a light switch went off when he signed that contract. I know some will argue the cracks were showing before and that's fine, but no one could have foreseen him dropping off a cliff like this. I have to think he can get it back a bit. Because right now he looks completely over-matched in the NHL and we have him for four years at big money.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Call me crazy, but I think Bournival is the next Gallagher. A guy who wasn't expected to be much who will translate into a quality NHLer.

For an average sized guy, he plays a bit bigger. He also has some really good wheels. If he could improve his explosiveness and speed, he could be elite in terms of speed. Could pan out to be a Grabner type goal scorer for us, but better in some areas and worse in others.

I really think this guy is one of those Trevor Timmins workhorse types (I know, COL drafted him) that will shine in our organization. He has some pretty good hockey sense too.

The last time I remember being this impressed by a prospect in camp/pre-season and now regular season, was Brendan Gallagher.

Habruti!

Mar 5, 2002
Gatineau
Visit site
Its all about Duos

I love that we may start shaping up Duos. I also loved Bournival's game yesterday and thiougth he looked very good.

So on the topic who is the next Gallagher,Gallchenyuk... well that is the tough one. I guess you can ask where where the last ..? Last time the habs had guys leading the league?? I think you have to go back to a Koivu-Savage tandem which would last only the month of October. Needless to say its been a while. The key thing behind the line changes to me is the formation of Duos ...

So you have
Gallchenyuk and Gallagher
Eller and Pacioretty

And now I would also say Bournival and Prust which I thought where working exceptionally well together. I would think Leblanc would have the perfect qualities to complement these two guys and will go on a limb to say that Prust, Bournival, Leblanc will be a 3rd line that will drive or oponents crazy by the end of the year.

BTW: I also really liked Beaulieu yesterday. He is fast and poised with the puck. Made some smart plays except from one or two mistakes.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
For this year it has to be LeBlanc or Bournival. in my mind, were lacking only one puck-fisher on the wings.. so either Gio or DD should go. My money would be on DD since Gio is still more useful than him (garbage goals, ok defensively, leadership....)

I don't know if Bournival has the ability to be that kind of player but I think that LeBlanc does. Lets give him another month to see what he does.

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
Next time we get a 3rd overall pick and a prospect that dominates the whl.

One does not simply replace galchenyuk

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
Gionta, Bourque, Desharnais, Briere all better wake the **** up.

Gionta and Bourque are both currently on pace for 21 goals and 42 points each. If that's what we end up getting from them, we should be fine. That's perfectly fine production from 2nd-line wingers. DD and Briere are really worrisome so far, but if the kids keep playing really well it matters a lot less.

The thing with Gionta and Bourque is that you often don't notice them unless they're scoring, and they don't often score in bunches, so it's easy to get dissatisfied with them. But they'll get their share of goals and hence do their part as Top 6 wingers.

Anyway, I think McCarron will be a good Top 9 winger for us one day. Probably around the same time Bourque starts declining a lot.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Leblanc can replace Giontas merger production but we don't have a top6-ready player, no. Kristo was, maybe, but Bergevin traded him.

Not sure where you get that one. Gionta's production is usually in the mid 20's in goals plus he plays strong defense and kills penalities. As much as I think LeBlanc will bounce back this year, expecting him in the NHL and scoring 25(+ -2 goals) is pretty unrealistic.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The next Gallagher-Galchenyuk duo will be Tinordi-Beaulieu on the blueline. Both will make an impact on the game in different ways.

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
I'm curious - I guess we all are, to see what Bergevin is going to do + who emerges on the wing in Hamilton. I just don't think Habs can win with this lack of size / aging with Briere, Gionta, Bourque and Desharnais. 2 or 3 of these guys have to go. Maybe Bergevin deals a dman or d prospect for some size and skill on the wing. Unless as mentioned someone forces their hand in Hamilton

I would say the priority in trading forwards goes something like this:

Desharnais: Small, struggling and Galchenyuk is more than capable of stepping in and providing more which gives Pleks, Eller, Galchy, Bournival/White down the middle.

Gionta: Looks old but does provide leadership. I think Bergevin would be likely to keep him since he is the captain. But he will be gone next year.

Bourque: I expect him to stay because he does bring something that we don't have a lot of...size on the wing and he can score. Ideally he would be a third line winger.

Briere: He will not be traded. Hometown boy that was just brought in for a short term deal. No matter how much he struggles they will give him every chance to succeed.

As far as the next guys who may step up and provide a burst of youthful talent at forward...I don't see anyone near term that will provide what the two Gally's have.

I suppose Thomas, Andrighetto, Leblanc could see some time in the NHL this year as injury replacements.

The main guys that could have an impact in the next 2 years (in order of likelihood) would be McCarron, De La Rose, Collberg, Hudon and Lehkonen.

I expect Tinordi, Beaulieu, Nygren and Dietz to be the most likely to help on the backend in the next few years. I believe that once Murray and Emelin are healthy we will see Diaz or Bouillon traded since they will realize that Beaulieu and Tinordi are capable defensemen in the #5-6 spot.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I would say the priority in trading forwards goes something like this:

Desharnais: Small, struggling and Galchenyuk is more than capable of stepping in and providing more which gives Pleks, Eller, Galchy, Bournival/White down the middle.

Gionta: Looks old but does provide leadership. I think Bergevin would be likely to keep him since he is the captain. But he will be gone next year.

Bourque: I expect him to stay because he does bring something that we don't have a lot of...size on the wing and he can score. Ideally he would be a third line winger.

Briere: He will not be traded. Hometown boy that was just brought in for a short term deal. No matter how much he struggles they will give him every chance to succeed.

As far as the next guys who may step up and provide a burst of youthful talent at forward...I don't see anyone near term that will provide what the two Gally's have.

I suppose Thomas, Andrighetto, Leblanc could see some time in the NHL this year as injury replacements.

The main guys that could have an impact in the next 2 years (in order of likelihood) would be McCarron, De La Rose, Collberg, Hudon and Lehkonen.

I expect Tinordi, Beaulieu, Nygren and Dietz to be the most likely to help on the backend in the next few years. I believe that once Murray and Emelin are healthy we will see Diaz or Bouillon traded since they will realize that Beaulieu and Tinordi are capable defensemen in the #5-6 spot.

Desharnais contract not impossible to move, the player himself? different story, nobodys LOOKING to add a 5"6 struggling center, ..its just never gonna happen.. he is not the next marty st-louis (hell we possibly have him in gallagher)

Gionta will not be moved, simply because he is captain, it sucks but its true, in a perfect world we trade him at the deadline for a pick or prospect, but the PR hit would be too big, the habs trade the captain at the deadline? yeesh, if we are 10-15th come deadline day, it MAY happen but i dont think were that bad, i cringe at the thought bergevin extends him for some ludicrous leadership purpose, should that day happen, i will say fire bergevin until it happens (and i LOVE bergevin)

Briere not only has no trade clause he has no MOVEMENT clause (cant even be sent to AHL) so dont even put this in your brain for the next 2 years. (i still think he'll slightly pan out for us provided the necessary roster moves are made)

so ironically the only player really that can be moved would be bourque, 6"2 210 , fast as hell, and only 3.3 mill per, ...but why the HELL would we want to get RID of that! just cuz hes a bit streaky and playing with black holes for centermen?? dont try to ship bourque till next year imo, open up a spot for a kid

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
Non-Montreal fan poking my head in to say I absolutely love Gallagher.

1)Because I love how he plays

2)Because he's a prospect I was right about (for once)

He's going to be good for a long time, that's a great line of youngsters you have.

Are you from Vancouver?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->