Who's the most consistent scorer?

I Hate Blake Coleman

F*** the oilers
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Both now and all time.

By most consistent, I mean who scored in the most number of games? An example would be a hot streak Iginla had this season in which he had 38 points in 39 games, but scored in only 22 of them. Then there was Crosby who had something like 55 points during that 25 game streak.

Who's the most consistent?

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Goal scorer has got to be either Bossy or Gartner with his 17 30+ goal seasons imo.

Points...not sure how I can't say Gretzky.

Can't argue with Gretzky for assists/points. Francis wins for consistent goal totals, if not large goal totals.

For goals, Gordie Howe probably has the best goal/hat trick ratio for this particular question.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
now, from a cursory glance at game logs it's crosby, followed by the sedins (recent cold streak notwithstanding) and perry, with stamkos and st. louis not far behind. really, any of them are solid bets to put up a point most games.

all-time, can't imagine it's not gretzky.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Gretzky for all time, easily.

One season he had at least one point in 78 of 80 games.

Also had the 153 points in his 51 game streak the same season.

This is if my memory isn't failing me. :)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Agree with others, it can't be anyone but Gretzky.

But other players like Dionne consistently were top point scorers too.

At a lower level, Sundin was a point a game guy (or very close to it) for his whole career save his rookie and last season. Modano is another one. There is a spell of about 10 years where he had 78 to 93 points.

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
According to this guy (can't vouch for the numbers, but his work's there for anyone to check), the answer's Mike Bossy—he scored at least a point in 630 of his 752 games, or 83.8% of the time.

Gretzky recorded at least a point in 81.5% of his games, and he loses out only because he became a lot less consistent as he aged. In the Edmonton days he was nearly impossible to hold off the scoresheet—points in 71 of 74 games in '83-'84, and points in 76 of 80 games in '85-'86. (Amazingly, he didn't have a two-game pointless streak until '88-'89.) Before Gretzky came along, Lafleur and Phil Esposito held the record of recording at least a point in 69 games in a season.

Lemieux lodged at least a point in 78.2% of his games and stayed at pretty much the same consistency level throughout his career.

Edit: He does Crosby (73.8%) and Ovechkin (76.3%) as well, but that was earlier this season and will have to be updated--presumably Crosby has narrowed the gap after his scoring streak.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
I would say Gretzky and Howe. Those were some scary consistent players.

FinnGoalie

Jul 24, 2007
Both now and all time.

By most consistent, I mean who scored in the most number of games? An example would be a hot streak Iginla had this season in which he had 38 points in 39 games, but scored in only 22 of them. Then there was Crosby who had something like 55 points during that 25 game streak.

Who's the most consistent?

Well, some might hate me bringing him up, but if we're talking about goal scoring, Selanne has a pretty consistent record I think.
Sure, he started off by a storm with 76 in -93, but is still 20 goal scorer after 55 games (58pts) at the age of 40. The glaring dip came in his horrible Colorado season while playing with one leg, but apart from that, his goal scoring consistency has to be somewhere up there through the low scoring era and onwards.

Edit: misread the OP's post, so edited my comments a bit.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
now, from a cursory glance at game logs it's crosby, followed by the sedins (recent cold streak notwithstanding) and perry, with stamkos and st. louis not far behind. really, any of them are solid bets to put up a point most games.

all-time, can't imagine it's not gretzky.

Well it certainly isn't Perry. He's not even leading his own team.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i was just looking at the guys at the top of the scoring list with >PPG, so i overlooked selanne because he's missed a few games.

looking a little deeper, brad richards is very high on this list. generally rounded numbers unless the decimal ended in a 4, 5, or 6, or if two guys were close. these are all the PPG scorers in the league's top 40:

crosby 14.6%
daniel 22%
richards 25%
henrik 26.56%
datsyuk 26.66%
st. louis 27%
stamkos 31.7%
selanne 32.7%
zetterberg 32.8%
getzlaf 36.7%
perry 37.5%
ovechkin 39%