Who's the greatest player you've ever seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Well I'll start with the 3 obvious I've seen:

1. Bobby Orr
2. Wayne
3. Mario

But I'm surprised that noone has mentioned my #4 - the greatest shooter and pure scorer to ever play the game - Mike Bossy.

9 straight seasons of 50+ goals - every full season he played.

Just imagine if he hadn't had a bad back - out of the game at 30 yo - Gretzky would still be looking up at him in the record books.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
When I was just a wee tyke, I was at the Pacific Coliseum the night that Bobby Orr set a record for defencemen for assists in one game. Orr was a childhood idol of mine, and my son now has a autographed photo of Orr that I got signed by him an an Ottawa car show. Like another poster earlier, I also saw Orr in one of his last games for the Blackhawks, and it was indeed a sad sight to see.

I saw Gordie Howe play a game for the Hartford Whalers, but of course he was a shadow of the player he once was by that stage.

I saw Gretzky play on numerous occasions, but there is one that sticks out in my mind. It wasn't one of his Oiler games, but rather a game that many consider to be his last truly dominant performance in the NHL. It was October 1997, and the Rangers were playing the Canucks at GM Place. Gretzky was on fire that night -- if memory serves, he bagged a hat trick, including a highlight reel goal where he walked around Murzyn, faked out McLean, and left him sprawling as he went around the net for an easy wrap around. At that stage, the crowd at GM Place gave him a standing ovation.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Gretzky or Lemieux for Forwards

For D-men Ray Bourque

Roy for goalies

I also consider myself lucky to have seen Bob Probert who in his prime was the toughest SOB I have seen in hockey ever.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
c-carp said:
Gretzky or Lemieux for Forwards

For D-men Ray Bourque

Roy for goalies

I also consider myself lucky to have seen Bob Probert who in his prime was the toughest SOB I have seen in hockey ever.
Probert conducts a hockey school at my local rink, it's not a fighting school though ;).

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Accord said:
Probert conducts a hockey school at my local rink, it's not a fighting school though ;).
The kids there can still learn a lot from him he wasnt a bad hockey player he had 29 goals and was an all-star in his top year.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
c-carp said:
The kids there can still learn a lot from him he wasnt a bad hockey player he had 29 goals and was an all-star in his top year.
Most definitely, even the enforcers of the league who aren't that great players overall by NHL standards are still some of the best in the world.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
kdb209 said:
Well I'll start with the 3 obvious I've seen:

1. Bobby Orr
2. Wayne
3. Mario

But I'm surprised that noone has mentioned my #4 - the greatest shooter and pure scorer to ever play the game - Mike Bossy.

9 straight seasons of 50+ goals - every full season he played.

Just imagine if he hadn't had a bad back - out of the game at 30 yo - Gretzky would still be looking up at him in the record books.

Imagine if Mario had not missed over 9 years total playing time with back injuries, hodgkins, etc. Mario was hands down the most amazing athlete that I have ever seen outside of Michael Jordan . . . and maybe better than him. Gretzky was amazing too but did not have Mario's size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad