who's the biggest threat in the Atlantic?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I know the Rangers are media darlings but IMO no way, though I really like their team. It's the Flyers for me. Skilled, big, incredibly well-rounded. They're more or less Boston with a shaky goalie pretty much. Shaky doesn't mean bad though. Bryz could easily have a solid year and look out.

And honestly, when have the Rangers ever been a problem for us post-lockout? Pretty much never. Obviously their team keeps getting better and I'm actually a Nash fan, I just think the Flyers are better.

Rangers just keep getting better defensively, while offensively, they're becoming more anemic. They just gave up Anisimov and Dubinsky and gained Nash, if the team had a different coach that was more about offense, that might scare me. But it's Torts, he neutered Brad Richards and Gaborik.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Hate to say it but the Rags. I have no fear of the Queen as a Pens fan but more that big, mobile, structured defense.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
I have to admit

Nash-Richards-Gaborik scares the hell out of me given our defense and MAF's performance in the playoffs.

Much more than
Don't care-Giroux-Hartnell

I realize it takes more than one line, but that's a lot of offense on one line, possibly the new best line in hockey especially if they click well (Rangers i mean)

Combine that with one of the two best goalies in the league (him and Quick are on their own tier) and a pretty solid defense......Rangers are a scary team right now

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Good call.

Because Philadelphia, while troublesome to us, is ultimately where goaltenders go to die.
The Flyers I can actually respectfully hate. They've won cups and had some all time great players that have been drafted by them. Plus they contend more years than not... even though I think thats a trap and they lose sight of the bigger picture.

Can't say the same about the Caps and Rangers. Their history is pretty dismal. Its like MSG. "The worlds greatest..." "The mecca of..." Give me a break. The Knicks and Rangers have sucked for the better part of their years. Its in NY... big friggin deal.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
The Flyers kind of have our number, so until the Pens show they can keep that team from scoring five goals a game it is them.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
On paper, Rags look like the class of the East, IMO.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah... I'm not trying to be a debbie downer but have to rank them:

1) Rangers
2) Flyers
3) Penguins

The race is super tight and they are 3 of the top 5 teams in the East in my opinion. Unfortunately 2 of the best teams hail from our division.

sauce66871

Dec 14, 2011
the rags. period.

dear mods, i don't mind an infraction for this. it's too damn good.

ha. ha.

The rangers have a much better team. For whatever reason though, the flyers will have everyone's panties in a bunch and cause more trouble then the rangers to the pens.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I know the Rangers are media darlings but IMO no way, though I really like their team. It's the Flyers for me. Skilled, big, incredibly well-rounded. They're more or less Boston with a shaky goalie pretty much. Shaky doesn't mean bad though. Bryz could easily have a solid year and look out.

And honestly, when have the Rangers ever been a problem for us post-lockout? Pretty much never. Obviously their team keeps getting better and I'm actually a Nash fan, I just think the Flyers are better.

Rags have let go of:
36pts in Anisimov
34pts in Dubinski
20pts in Feds
17pt in Prust

Total 107 pts lost

Rags gained:
59 pts in Nash
19 pts in Pyatt
16 pts in Asham
16 pts in Halpern

Total 110 pts gained

I see the players lost being much better defensively collectively than the players gained while the offense is almost equal. NYR and PHI are very close to each other. I don't share the love for the NYR being "greatly" improved. They were an awesome team last year. There isn't a ton of room for them to get better. I think their PP improves while they regress slightly defensively. Gabby won't have to do it all himself now on the PP.

PIT is clearly ahead of both of them assuming roster health and solid play from >=1 of our goaltenders. No team can match a top 4 of Malkin, Crosby, Neal, and Letang.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Rags have let go of:
36pts in Anisimov
34pts in Dubinski
20pts in Feds
17pt in Prust

Total 107 pts lost

Rags gained:
59 pts in Nash
19 pts in Pyatt
16 pts in Asham
16 pts in Halpern

Total 110 pts gained

I see the players lost being much better defensively collectively than the players gained while the offense is almost equal. NYR and PHI are very close to each other. I don't share the love for the NYR being "greatly" improved. They were an awesome team last year. There isn't a ton of room for them to get better. I think their PP improves while they regress slightly defensively. Gabby won't have to do it all himself now on the PP.

PIT is clearly ahead of both of them assuming roster health and solid play from >=1 of our goaltenders. No team can match a top 4 of Malkin, Crosby, Neal, and Letang.

It's hard to say exactly how the players that they gained will translate playing in the Rangers system. You also have to account for the fact that they have several younger players that could prove to be much more productive next season -> more offense:

1. Hagelin
2. Stepan
3. Kreider (who I feel is overrated a bit)
4. Del Zotto
5. McDonagh

Each of those players (N/A for Kreider) could easily put up an additional 5-10 points (per 82 games) next season.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Its kind of funny how things work out in the East last year.

The Pens would beat the Rangers.
The Rangers would beat the Flyers.
The Flyers would beat the Pens.
The Devils come out of the East.

Man for man I actually don't fear the Flyers that much but Lavs is just an insanely good coach.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
The question is "who's our biggest threat in the Atlantic?" In my opinion, the Rags are the clear-cut top team. But I think that the Flyers will give this team bigger fits, so they got my vote.

MichiganWolverines

Big Mac Attack
Jul 3, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Its kind of funny how things work out in the East last year.

The Pens would beat the Rangers.
The Rangers would beat the Flyers.
The Flyers would beat the Pens.
The Devils come out of the East.

Man for man I actually don't fear the Flyers that much but Lavs is just an insanely good coach.

A few years ago, we had difficulties beating the Devils.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I said the Flyers. The Pens need to show they can stop them from scoring goals at will.

I know on paper the Rangers have a lot of talent up front, but Tortorella suffocates that talent with a very defensive system. Guys like Nash and Gaborik will be turned from goal scorers to shot blockers. The Rangers will try to win games 2-1 regardless of how much offensive talent they have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->